Sarangi/Dilruba intrusmental music

Akali_Singh

No! The sarangi is not a drone instrument, your thinking of the tanpura. There are many famous Ustads of the sarangi, which was traditionally the instrument that accompanied the vocalist. In the old days, even though they were increadible musicians, they were poorly respected and paid, and Deadhar in his book talks of the best he came across being a very poor opium addict.

For pure sarangi recordings try Pandit Ram Narayan who is very good and popular. Ustad Sultan Khan has a beautiful fresh style, and Ustad Sabri Khan has a very different style, sombre and simple more akin to dhrupad - his recording of Raag Darbara is incredibly slow and moving.

No! The sarangi is not a drone instrument, your thinking of the tanpura. There are many famous Ustads of the sarangi, which was traditionally the instrument that accompanied the vocalist. In the old days, even though they were increadible musicians, they were poorly respected and paid, and Deadhar in his book talks of the best he came across being a very poor opium addict.

For pure sarangi recordings try Pandit Ram Narayan who is very good and popular. Ustad Sultan Khan has a beautiful fresh style, and Ustad Sabri Khan has a very different style, sombre and simple more akin to dhrupad - his recording of Raag Darbara is incredibly slow and moving.

I stand corrected about the sarangi being a non-drone instrument. I heard it has a low-class association, and that many great sarangists were opium addicts.

Dhrupad is great!

I'll get on the case with transferring my recordings for the guy.

dear Akali_Singh, please try musicindiaonline site where in Hindustani Classical Music (Northern) you will find your much of the requirements. Here I wish to mention about the post of Bruce Lung that if a Sarangi Vaadk happened to be opium addict then, the grace of the Sarangi did not decrease. These two Sarangi & Dilruba are marvellous instruments and cannot be write off in the music world. Someone goes into the heavens atmosphere while listening raagas played on them or accompanied thereof. SSA.

Eh? You talking about me??

For the best Indian Classical Music site on line and a means to academically look into the subject go to www.itcsra.org.

This should help with all your queries...good to see more folk interested in authentic sangeet.

the classical/authentic divide. Classical: following a prescribed set of unmovable rules. Authentic: an expression of the heart through music. Can be both. But then you can have traditional music which is authentic and not classical.

i make authentic traditional indian music. it's authentic because of my ancestry. end result sounds like it is, but what did it take to make it? it's a secret, because i don't want to spoil the magic. going further, it's even classical, because there is always a parallel in classical indian music when you "innovate" a new piece. in this genre, it's not possible to reinvent the wheel because the sounds and rhythms have all been done before.

it's a thin line.

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Pandit Ram Narayan, I am going back to learn from his daughter, here in Toronto.....Whoo-Hoo......... 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...