how to remain still in one asan for 3 hrs ?

Silence as I've always thought of it that Gurmat is close to Madhva's Dvait Vedant as opposed to Shankara's Advait Vedant. I don't think that the Atmaa was ever created, nor can it be destroyed, that is what Bhai Randhir Singh said to Bhagat Singh wasn't it? In my understanding, Atmaa is not Vaheguru, but it is of the same substance(for lack of a better word) as Parmatma.

Silence, we have our own form of advaita (a term used repeatedly by Guru Maharaj in Akal Ustat and Gyan Prabodh). This is an old discussion, there is masses written on this so please search past discussions. Please show me one shabad that says Atma is anything different from Parmatma. Aham Brahamasmi (I am that) = So ham (I am Him) = same term used in shabad by Guru Nanak Dev ji twice (p.60 and p.599). You just called gurbani 'mahamanmat'. Be careful not to jump to conclusions.

Mithr Ji,

Dvaita Vaad is about as far as you could get in terms of Vedant from Gurmat! It holds firmly to three real and seperate realities, Jiv, Ishvar and Jagat. Within them are five real differences, between jiva and matter, Jiv and vishnu, etc, etc. It is described as the extreme realist form, perhaps more like Nyaya (which some Madhavas built on). There is no maya in Dvaita vaad! Ishvar is entirely sargun as sargun Vishnu in dvaita vaad! Jiv is dependent but not of the same thing as Ishvar...whereas in Gurmat the two are repeatedly described as being one and the same. the metaphors used in Gurbani all stem from advaitavad, e.g. moon reflecting in water, the two birds in one tree, rope and the snake, water and the pot, wave and the ocean, seed and the fruit, etc, etc. I hope this helps.

in Gurmat very simply; maya = 3 gunas, everything is of 3 gunas inc mind, Atma is not touched by 3 gunas = Parmatma (described as 'advaita'). Its that simple!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone conquered their Asanas yet ? or it just impossible...

You should start doing Akhand Paath duties. After a few rauls where nobody comes to relieve you, three hours will seem like nothing.

you could try going to a meditation retreat. i've heard of this one zen retreat where you live there for a month. if you move from your asan- you get hit with a stick, if you wake up late- you get hit with a stick, if you talk out of turn - stick, if you chew less than the prescribed number of times before swallowing your food - stick, if you try to eat more than allowed - stick.... now that's how you build a jeevan!!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I am coming back to this forum after a long while. Reading the inspirational posts under Meditation section re-sparked my interest again. I still am not able to sit still physically more than 20 minutes but it doesn;t matter to me anymore. I am surprised how much my thinking has changed. Asana Siddhi will come sponatneously. When surat leaves the body and goes into shabad I think Asana Siddhi wil happen itself. Until then I should just keep japping till i die.

I am coming back to this forum after a long while. Reading the inspirational posts under Meditation section re-sparked my interest again. I still am not able to sit still physically more than 20 minutes but it doesn;t matter to me anymore. I am surprised how much my thinking has changed. Asana Siddhi will come sponatneously. When surat leaves the body and goes into shabad I think Asana Siddhi wil happen itself. Until then I should just keep japping till i die.

very good very good singh

I know !!

Let's just hope we can all keep at it.

It's funny because I spent so many long moments throughout my life where I would moan to myself that ''I'm bored!!'', then I would end up doing so many no good tasks just to convince myself.

Anyway, I wish I knew what Naam jap and simran was back then. Now, I can't ever see myself getting bored because even when I have a few moments of nothing to do.......I start waheguru simran inside :D .

We Sikhs should count ourselves lucky with this little treasure we have :P .

I wish I hadn't wasted so many moments in my life.

Edited by Lucky

• 2 weeks later...

when sat down and you find yourself listless, try to just gently rock your body side to side or to and fro.

it just helps get the muscles moving a bit and pumps some blood round the lower limbs.

Defo try sitting on a pillow as savinderpal says. basically you want your hips higher than your knees when sat on the floor. that way it takes a lot of strain off your legs.

• 3 months later...

I recently discovered in the sikhi path or stage of enquiry of who am I or path of knowledge, spontenous awakening you don't need to sit in asan or look for perfection of asan... All it requires is asan of mind which is silence and empty/quiet mind.

• 5 months later...

LOL just sit however you feel comfortable, do ardaas, concentrate on how to do naam japna 24/7 not how to sit a certain way! To use the colloquialism "nuffin long" wink.gif

I have read sakhia of Gurmukhs getting darshan while lying with their legs open, so it makes no difference how you sit, in fact I concentrate on Naam much better when I'm actually comfortable.

Then again whatever works for you best smile.gif

No offence to any pyara Gursikh

I agree,

i sit on the Sofa, i put an extra pillow behind me to help keep my back straight...other than that i am completely relaxed.

I have had more progress by just sitting comfortably rather than in any single asan...

occasionally my back has started to hurt, and i have just laid down and carried on with Simran and enjoyed just as much :)

The most time I spent in one position without moving must have been 1.5 hrs... and it was with the military at a very important parade for remembrance. I was chosen to be a sentry at the cenotaph. That requires bowed head, and rifle resting on boot and your hands crossed over the butt (of the rifle) and not moving once in that position for the entire time. The parade was a blur actually... I think I kind of was in meditation - thats the only way I can explain how I made it through. It was also very hot outside that day and sun beating down. Some very strange recollection of time that day actually... it was like I said about 1.5 hrs but felt like only 15 mins. (felt it the next day though lol)

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

I agree,

i sit on the Sofa, i put an extra pillow behind me to help keep my back straight...other than that i am completely relaxed.

I have had more progress by just sitting comfortably rather than in any single asan...

occasionally my back has started to hurt, and i have just laid down and carried on with Simran and enjoyed just as much :)

Yup. I once heard Harbhajan Yogi Ji saying that Gurumantra is so powerful that it will pierce and rip through your Chakras even if said/meditated upon lying down on bed.

My legs have been a little of a nuisance lately and not allowing me to sit in asan for more than 30 mins sometimes.

To combat this, I have been doing a few minutes of stretching gluts,hamstrings, calves, IT band.. and It usually helps.

I also get cramps occasionally and for this I drink a can of schweppes tonic water every day(especially in hot weather) because it contains 'quinine'.... and this definitely helps ! :D