how to remain still in one asan for 3 hrs ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This is a question for those who lose consciousness of their body during meditation:

- When you lose awareness of the body, do you ever feel the paint that is witnessed after sitting more than 30 minutes ? I know its counter-intuitive but still answer?

- Is the pain strong enough to bring your awareness back to body from higher consciousness ?

- Once you come down to normal consciousness, are the legs hurting ?

I myself has not lost awareness of body yet, not even a single instance. This is just a way to motivate myself and others that pain does go away once you rise above.

Please discuss. Thanks :)

Dhan Guru Nanak...

You should really sit with your hip-bones higher than your knees.

Use a couple of cushions to do this, even if you are sitting on the bed.

You should be able to manage a lot longer periods.

On good days, I can manage about 3 hrs quite easily, providing I stretch major leg muscles before hand.

I've not made any progress.I dont know much about my consciousness while meditating.But yes I've suffered pain.Initially,the pain was too much,now it does hurt but a little than earlier.Pain is of entire body.My entire body aches especially arms,legs and my forehead.There are some other pains too,but I think these are related to my poor health.

I dont stay healthy.I'm suffering with illness from past 3 years.So,I'm not sure whether this pain has something to do with meditation.

• 2 months later...

If you get pain in your buttocks and legs, and are unable to keep a straight back , do the glute bridge exercise. It really has helped me with the stiffness of back and I am able to sit longer than previously. It provides a good stretch for back, and hip flexors. Everyday we use hip extensors especially during sitting which makes iliopsoad muscle stiff. Working the hip flexors will be a good exercise. Give it a try.

Good one !

One tip of advice is to make sure that you push through your heels for max benefit.

I was doing it wrong for a while until my trainer instructed me.

• 3 months later...

Sitting in bagkti for 3 hrs in not a childs play. I've heard from mahapurkh that you need to keep jat sat. Celibacy is really important in this path. Then the veeraj become the form of oil to keep the bhagti going for long time as celibacy and dedication is required for on to sit for long time.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Within 5 minutes of sitting, I can notice how my thighs are still and touching the ground. I notice how my spice is stable and like a pipe with stuff flowing up. Then few minutes in, the attention goes to breath. Then I become aware of the continuous ringing that is happening all the time, I just became aware of it as I am typing because I thought about ringing lol.

Awareness of breath & awareness of this ringing sound seem to be connected....

And then I feel I have shrunken and sitting in forehead for a short time...

However, this does not last more than 20 minutes, because body wants to move around..& then stillness is gone..

just sharing some random thoughts....  this is only my 4th day in this 20 min stillness meditation. and i do silent japa of moolmantra in mouth during these 20 mins.

7 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Within 5 minutes of sitting, I can notice how my thighs are still and touching the ground. I notice how my spice is stable and like a pipe with stuff flowing up. Then few minutes in, the attention goes to breath. Then I become aware of the continuous ringing that is happening all the time, I just became aware of it as I am typing because I thought about ringing lol.

And then I feel I have shrunken and sitting in forehead for a short time...

However, this does not last more than 20 minutes, because body wants to move around..& then stillness is gone..

just sharing some random thoughts....  this is only my 4th day in this 20 min stillness meditation. and i do silent japa of moolmantra in mouth during these 20 mins.

I sit on a small rug and after few minutes , it's like rug is the only thing holding me and I just trip with a feeling that I am gonna fall. It's like I have to balance my body so the rug won't drop me down, even though rug is on the floor but I get the feeling rug and I are above the ground and very high.Now I sit on my bed and go take that you damn rug!! 

2 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

I sit on a small rug and after few minutes , it's like rug is the only thing holding me and I just trip with a feeling that I am gonna fall. It's like I have to balance my body so the rug won't drop me down, even though rug is on the floor but I get the feeling rug and I are above the ground and very high.Now I sit on my bed and go take that you damn rug!! 

Dont be scared of the rug..Its your own fear holding you back, free fall is the best feeling ever. You should let it go and enjoy the ride :)

Dont sit on bed, use the rug...who knows it is magical like aladdins carpet, will take you places .)

dw, enjoy the feelings and explore, dont fear. you are not going to fall anywhere.

9 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

You can explore different qualities of breath and the resting sound of the ear (anahad naad).

For the breath, you can focus on different areas of the body, the tip of the nose, the nasal cavity, the throat, the rise and fall of the chest etc.

For the sound, you can clarify it into its components, because it's not just a single tone. It's actually composed of multiple different sounds. Some people describes it as Aunkar, Shankh, Flute. I have seen Bhagat Kabir ji describe it as Kinguri a string instrument.

1 hour ago, GurpreetKaur said:

but I get the feeling rug and I are above the ground and very high.

This is a good thing. Play with it and push it higher, so that you are located even higher off the ground. Or try to lower yourself. Push and pull, go in different direction. Can you tilt that to the left or right without moving your body? Can you expand it so that it is bigger? or shrink down to a smaller size? Stuff like that.

Have you noticed how kids can sit in a sandbox for hours and hours?
Meditation is a sandbox. The key is to play and have fun with it.

48 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

This is a good thing. Play with it and push it higher, so that you are located even higher off the ground. Or try to lower yourself. Push and pull, go in different direction. Can you tilt that to the left or right without moving your body? Can you expand it so that it is bigger? or shrink down to a smaller size? Stuff like that.

I will try next timee and see if I can be a new female Aladdin. :p. I know I will trip, even the feeling of falling is good but that gets me out of doing meditaion.

48 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Have you noticed how kids can sit in a sandbox for hours and hours?
Meditation is a sandbox. The key is to play and have fun with it.

Really?? They sit there for hours. Will try that on my neighbors three hooligans. They have tire instead of feet. They never stop .

List of ways you can meditate-

• Sitting in one posture
  • Sitting in different postures
  • Sitting in a bus
  • Sitting in a car
  • Sitting while driving a car
  • Sitting while eating
  • Sitting straight up
  • Leaning back in a chair
  • Leaning forward in a chair
  • Standing still in one posture
  • Standing still in different postures
  • Walking around town
  • Pacing back and forth
  • Running around
  • Lying down in bed
  • Lying down in a couch
  • SO MANY OPTIONS!

• 11 months later...
Guest Curious George

When dass sit down on the floor to do simran for 2hrs, I end up only doing simran for about 40 mins my mouth gets tired for saying out loud. When I try to do simran in the mind  then I fell asleep. How can I stay awake for whole 2hrs and is there a technique where I can do bhakre bani simran and my mount won't get tired ?? 

Guest Guests
4 hours ago, Guest Curious George said:

When dass sit down on the floor to do simran for 2hrs, I end up only doing simran for about 40 mins my mouth gets tired for saying out loud. When I try to do simran in the mind  then I fell asleep. How can I stay awake for whole 2hrs and is there a technique where I can do bhakre bani simran and my mount won't get tired ?? 

This happens to many people.  Main reason is the person is not calling his creator.  There is no love in your words for the creator.  A person who is in love with the creator will beg for his love and guidance.  A man remembering his wife he smiles and laughs and stays absorbed in her praise and beauty.  The husband doesn't take any special postures and no special time.  For hours and days a husband can remember his wife.  His mind doesn't get tired and neither does his mouth dry up.  The creator who created you, nourished you, pulled you out of tough times, gave you the breath of life has become hard to remember?