how to remain still in one asan for 3 hrs ?

Guest Guests
On 09/03/2017 at 2:49 PM, Guest Curious George said:

How can we develop love for Waheguruji ? or how we we fell in love with Waheguru?  

By understanding your root cause of to be a being.  The maya has blinded you and doesn't allow you to see the creator.  Reading Gurbani with attention will allow you to see better.  If a blind man could be told a way to see, he would make every effort to have the ability to see.  There is sadness in you because you can't connect to his naam.  Use this sadness as a force to find the way to connect with him in Gurbani.  Whenever you feel upset, sad, or fustrated direct your mind to sing some Gurbani that brings a deep yearning for you.  Everyone attaches to different shabads at various times.  

On 3/9/2017 at 5:49 PM, Guest Curious George said:

How can we develop love for Waheguruji ? or how we we fell in love with Waheguru?  

Guest jee, you will have to start fearing God, Once, the fear of God resides in your mind, then love will spring up. 

ਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਲੰਘਸਿ ਪਾਰਿ ॥

Without the Fear of God, no one crosses over the world-ocean.

ਭੈ ਭਉ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਭਾਇ ਸਵਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

This Fear of God adorns the Love of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

Fear of God implies acceptance of his commandments.  One will have to start following the codes of conduct (Rehat), without questioning them.

Nishkaam Seva should help you to develop love for Waheguru jee.

Listening to Katha/Kirtan in Sangat will also help. These acts will clean your sins. purify your mind, motivate you to walk on the path of spirituality and eventually you will start developing love for Waheguru jee.

The following is a progression, starting from fear of Waheguru jee.

Fear-->Love-->Vairaag-->Bhagti-->Gyan-->Mukti-->Anand

Bhul chuk maaf

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:14 AM, paapiman said:

Guest jee, you will have to start fearing God, Once, the fear of God resides in your mind, then love will spring up. 

ਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਲੰਘਸਿ ਪਾਰਿ ॥

Without the Fear of God, no one crosses over the world-ocean.

ਭੈ ਭਉ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਭਾਇ ਸਵਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

This Fear of God adorns the Love of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

Interesting. How would you describe or feel this "fear of God"? 

• 3 months later...
Guest Sitting 3 hours

On 7/1/2005 at 10:54 PM, karmjeet said:

wjkk wjkf ,

pyareo ,

i just wanted to ask that is there anybody here who has managed to remain still in one asan for 3 hrs continuously . if so , please advise me how to do it .

Did u feel pain in ur legs and hips ? did it go after a lot of practise .?

becus i am trying to be still in one asan as long as possible with gur kirpa .

but after 30-40 it starts paining in legs ( by the way i use padmasana )

and after some time the pain becomes unbearable , so then i just stand up .

and after that i just sit in a comfortable position and then finally sleep takes over :D

if anybody has gone through this please discuss .:)

wjkk wjkf

First of all u should stop sitting in padmasan as sitting longer forcefully might cause damage to ur  muscles

Use instead siddhasan.I sit usually for around two hours in one posture in one go.I even once sat for three hours at a stretch in one asan.Definitely ur legs will resist by giving u a lot of pain.But do not stretch urself so hard or u will loose ur equanimity. Just be patient and increase the time bit by bit.U r bound to be successful.

• 1 year later...

Personally, i feel when it comes to bhandgi we are very naive.

Students who study medical science, engineering, usually revise for few hours straight. 

I had few friends who would study 6 hours straight with minimal breaks.

We should encourage each other and have a can do attitude. 

Guru tegh bahadur sahib ji, did bhagti for 26 years. Guru Gobind singh ji in their previous life did continuous bhagti. 

Why his sikhs not able to do 3hr bhagti, instead we say that we only need pyaar, lol..

Was guru sahib not full of pyaar!

By the way, I've heard in katha that 3.5hrs sitting is called one samadhi (or similar)..

@HK Sikh - I have yet to hear a better one than this - linking up the efforts we put in academics (how to be a good student and know your content) with bandagi.

Academics, if at all useful (content keeps being revised hence the need for constant updation) will help us get a meal in this lifetime whereas bandagi is for this life and beyond; yet our time allocation for both these activities is inversely proportional to their importance.!

20 hours ago, Hk sikh said:

Personally, i feel when it comes to bhandgi we are very naive.

Students who study medical science, engineering, usually revise for few hours straight. 

I had few friends who would study 6 hours straight with minimal breaks.

We should encourage each other and have a can do attitude. 

Guru tegh bahadur sahib ji, did bhagti for 26 years. Guru Gobind singh ji in their previous life did continuous bhagti. 

Why his sikhs not able to do 3hr bhagti, instead we say that we only need pyaar, lol..

Was guru sahib not full of pyaar!

By the way, I've heard in katha that 3.5hrs sitting is called one samadhi (or similar)..

Veer ji its also very trying sitting in one postition for 3 hours and also their are chances of headaches, migraines developing along with eye sight numbers changing as well.

Its better to start step by step than doing 5 hours nitnem one day and not doing anything for a month as then your energy would be drained out to do anything.

Don't get me wrong its good to have pyar prem to do simran paath nitnem but also energy is needed as well. 

I myself wish i could do 3 hours straight nitnem simran and wish for it as well as i have to take breaks when i do my paaths otherwise i get headaces migraines etc.

I do remember that Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindrawale had build up their nitnem paaths of Sri Japji Sahib from 5 to 10 then to 151 step by step. 

Doing paath nitnem is also like training yourself as its better to do step by step than all in one go as more than a person is used to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji its also very trying sitting in one postition for 3 hours and also their are chances of headaches, migraines developing along with eye sight numbers changing as well.

Its better to start step by step than doing 5 hours nitnem one day and not doing anything for a month as then your energy would be drained out to do anything.

Don't get me wrong its good to have pyar prem to do simran paath nitnem but also energy is needed as well. 

I myself wish i could do 3 hours straight nitnem simran and wish for it as well as i have to take breaks when i do my paaths otherwise i get headaces migraines etc.

I do remember that Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindrawale had build up their nitnem paaths of Sri Japji Sahib from 5 to 10 then to 151 step by step. 

Doing paath nitnem is also like training yourself as its better to do step by step than all in one go as more than a person is used to.

I agreed with you but my point was if academic can have that mind set to study for long hour, so can we and start to make a routine of doing simran. Just as you have advised, 5mins is a good start and gradually increasing to an hour and if maharaj do kirpa, even longer! 

12 hours ago, Hk sikh said:

I agreed with you but my point was if academic can have that mind set to study for long hour, so can we and start to make a routine of doing simran. Just as you have advised, 5mins is a good start and gradually increasing to an hour and if maharaj do kirpa, even longer! 

Veer ji I think its the age involving a student child cos thats when the brain is usually at its strongest power and thats why they spend hours studying. 

But you are right its all down to Wahegurus kirpa rather than man made efforts also one should try to do as much simran paath as one can.

• 7 months later...
On 3/9/2017 at 10:49 PM, Guest Curious George said:

Guest Jee,

love for Waheguru can first be started by Sadh sangat, for it is there where one hears the mahima of  His infinite magnificence.

Then too, we must bear in mind, that He Waheguru is nothing than an infinite Ocean of Love, Prem da Sagar.

Love for Him, is only possible by His bakshish, His kirpa.

His kirpa is always being showered on every one, but the thing is, our bowls are upside down, so we benefit not from it.

So in order to be receptive to that His kirpa, His Prem, is only possible by making Him "razee", or pleased.

And the thing which most pleases Him as per Bani, is, when we engage ourselves in His Bhakti as per His Simran.

His Simran, purifies us from all our paaps/impurities. Once a bit purified, we put more efforts in doing His bhakti, the consequence of this is that, we are making ourselves more and more receptive to His pyaar, His Daya, His kirpa, His bakshish.

So the secret to love Him, is to please Him with what He most likes, and that is nothing more than doing His chintan, His Simran.

In this respect, the Bani tells us: 

ਭਗਤੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਸੋਈ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਤੂ ਰੰਗੁ ਧਰਤਾ ॥੨॥

Bhagath Thaeraa Soee Thudhh Bhaavai Jis No Thoo Rang Dhharathaa ||2||

He alone is Your devotee, who is pleasing to You. You bless them with Your Love. 

Or look it the other way: You bless him with your love, he who pleases You.

There is an utmost  beautiful quote from the Bani which says: darshan paava jeh Tudh bhavaa.

So you see, through His bhakti, not only we get His blessings for loving Him, but something still more wonderful yet, and that is His darshan, by pleasing Him.

Such is His beant wadeeayee.

SSA.

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2005 at 6:24 PM, karmjeet said:

wjkk wjkf ,

pyareo ,

i just wanted to ask that is there anybody here who has managed to remain still in one asan for 3 hrs continuously . if so , please advise me how to do it .

Did u feel pain in ur legs and hips ? did it go after a lot of practise .?

becus i am trying to be still in one asan as long as possible with gur kirpa .

but after 30-40 it starts paining in legs ( by the way i use padmasana )

and after some time the pain becomes unbearable , so then i just stand up .

and after that i just sit in a comfortable position and then finally sleep takes over :D

if anybody has gone through this please discuss .:)

wjkk wjkf

Just sit, be silent and sit in a comfortable position, relax, let go and let the samadhi take you. When you go deep into it, it doesn’t matter how you’re sitting or lying down, as long as it’s comfortable. You’ll start having a sensation where your body goes numb and won’t move, and the simran continues. Let the naam take over.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, singh1981 said:

In my early 20s I could sit in one asana from 2.5 - 3 hours motionless. I had reached a state where no thought existed, time use to stop, breath use to stop for a couple seconds. I dont know what it was. But it was like Sunn. Then I married, kids and for 20 years I was engaged in worldly activities. Now I can hardly sit motionless for 1 hour. I lost all the kamaiye. Good Luck everyone. 

yeh I lost a lot of simran practise and sitting in asan due to working shifts usually longer than 9-5.

I recently finished a contract at work during this pandemic lockdown, so I am trying to get some of it back!

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, sevak said:

If you have spent time lifting weights in gym. Then you can think of it in similar context. You dont go and lift the heaviest weight from day-1, but gradually build up. 

Amen bro.

As the Asans are to serve Simran. It would be counterproductive to engage in a posture duration contest with yourself. 

Sure, the more you do Simran in any posture, the longer you are comfortable in that position and don't have to shift. 

However, shifting is the name of the game as you work up to longer sits, and is in fact the birth of Asans as we know them.