Hindu Mythological Gods mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib!

Guest SAdmin

Guest SAdmin

All,

I'm starting this discussion to understand the references of Hindu Mythological Gods in Gurbani. Let's try to share them and discuss them through this thread. I will start with Page 1193 to begin this journey. Please try to add full Gurbani page, so we can read the whole paragraph to understand them fully.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Raag Basant on Pannaa 1193

The Pandits, the Hindu religious scholars, are intoxicated, reading the Puraanas.

The Yogis are intoxicated in Yoga and meditation.

The Sannyaasees are intoxicated in egotism.

The penitents are intoxicated with the mystery of penance. ||1||

All are intoxicated with the wine of Maya; no one is awake and aware.

The thieves are with them, plundering their homes. ||1||Pause||

Suk Dayv and Akrur are awake and aware.

Hanuman with his tail is awake and aware.

Shiva is awake, serving at the Lord's Feet.

Naam Dayv and Jai Dayv are awake in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||2||

There are many ways of being awake, and sleeping.

To be awake as Gurmukh is the most excellent way.

The most sublime of all the actions of this body,

says Kabeer, is to meditate and vibrate on the Lord's Name. ||3||2||

Please read last paragraph for Gurmukhi translation:

http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/1193.html

Guest SAdmin

I believe that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is excellent resource to get any type of inspiration. In this Shabad through Bhagat Trilochan Ji, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is giving great message. Please, share your comments to this thread, so we can learn more about it.

http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/0695.html

This Shabad highlights one important point that how Bhagat Trilochan Ji who was Brahman by caste gave great message that empty rituals had no special significance and emphasized to meditate on God's name.

Guest SAdmin

I don't know if you can read Gurmukhi but Professor Sahib Singh's footnotes sums it up. He has gives really great explanation and gives straight picture. Please have a look at second link I posted.

First, there is no such thing as "Hindu" mythilogical gods.These Devi and Devte are part of the Khalsa Panth.Simple as that.The Devi and Devte are Gursikh.They are Singh and Singhni's aswell.

And yes it looks like Kabir Ji is saying that Hanuman (Hanvant) and Shiv (Shankar) are awake (enlightened, gyani) and meditate on and serve Param Satta.

i agree, they are not mythological and do exist, and are in constant service of Waheguru.

I believe that Gurbani says that 'Gurmukh is the most excellent way' because it is only through human birth that normal souls can actually merge with Waheguru, I remember hearing that even the Devi and Devte wish they could have human birth to have the chance.

Its mentioned in Jap Ji Sahib too :

'Tin chele parvaan

Ik sansaari, ik bhandaari, ik lae di ban

Jiv tis bhavai tivai chalave jiv hovai phurman

Oh vekhai ona nadar na hovai

Bahuta eh vidaan.'

Scuse any mistakes please, I wrote it off the top of my head.

Hari, I respect your opinion. Please elaborate more? There are Hindu Mythological Gods as Bhai Gurdas Ji says http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...06&Format=2

That Var of Bhai Gurdas Ji does not mention "Hindu" gods.There is the line which goes:

"Das avatar akar kar, purkharth kar nanv gunae."

Which has been translated erroneously into English as:

"The ten incarnations (of Hindu mythology) assumed human body and showed their valour to spread their names."

In that Var Bhai Gurdas Ji does no mention of "Hindu" or "Hindu gods".It is only the English translation which states in brackets "(of Hindu mythology)".Why did the translator feel the need to express that that particular line was on about the Das Avatar of "Hindu mythology"?

Have you ever come across the Gurmukhi phrase or concept "Hindu Devi/Devte" in Gurbani or Bhai Gurdas Vars?Do the Satguru or Bhai Gurdas express in any way that the Devi Devte like Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh, Parbati Mai, Indra etc. are Hindu?

The Brilliant Ones are not Hindu.They are Gursikh, Sikh of Param Satta.

Alas unbreakable it is you who have begun on the wrong foot and will forever be trying to explain away these verses. You have got it completely wrong by simply assuming the Guru was a person who lived in punjab and taught a 'religion' in the 15th century.

Once one understands what the nature of Guru is, then you understand why all bhagats are gurmukhs and gursikhs.

Then explain to me, what is the very nature of Guru ji? In doing so, you see that you will by default have to concede the existence of devtay!

Guru ji was pooran avatar of parmatma. This is the position held by samprdas including Taksal and Nanaksar. Therefore, Guru ji is this present yug avatar presenting yug dharm.

The motivation for this 'devtay don't exist' malakey is by consequence to turn Guru ji into something more like a historical saint or mystic, or at best a prophet who recieved a 'revealed message' from God. If you read Gurbani, not in translation (which are horribly skewered at times), but the actual words, you will see things a lot more clearly that the Guru is Parmatma form in this reality, endowed with the characteristic qualities of an avatar.

I strongly urge you to learn gurmukhi, learn the actual meaning, use Mahan Kosh, use steeks by recognised scholars. This misunderstanding will be removed.

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol... such a humble reply! But sadly that's.. No use bro! Haters are meant for ninda. They are created for the purpose. There were many at the time of Guruji and there are many rather more today. So no point telling them the truth they don't have 'those' ears to hear .. comprehending Gurbani is a boon these kinds are not meant for ! 

21 hours ago, Sukh_preet said:

Lol... such a humble reply! But sadly that's.. No use bro! Haters are meant for ninda. They are created for the purpose. There were many at the time of Guruji and there are many rather more today. So no point telling them the truth they don't have 'those' ears to hear .. comprehending Gurbani is a boon these kinds are not meant for ! 

Pen Jee, 

Truth of Gurbani should be shared whenever, wherever needed.

Just as the Sun gives it sunlight equally to all creatures, so if the bats prefer the darkness.... It is their problem, for the light is there for all.

Similarly Gurmat/Gurbani is open there for the benefit of all, but, what can the poor jeeva do if accordingly to the laws of Nature, Waheguru has kept some particular jeevas stuck in the mayavee creation.

I myself never condem anybody, if they are unaware of the Supreme Truth of Waheguru Akal Purukh.

It is in nobody's hands to believe or not believe in Waheguru...He Himself is the one pulling the strings in one direction or in the other.

Having said that, I would also add that, whosoever is on the path of Sikhee, is a sign of utter grace from His side, for which we should be deeply thankful with each breath.

That's it.

Stay blessed.

SSA.