"Gur Satgur ka jo Sikh akhai ......."

Gur Satgur ka jo sikh akhai so bhalke uth har Naam dhiawai.

Udam kare bhalke parbhati ishnan kare Amritsar nawai.

Updesh Guru har har japjapai sabh kilwikh pap dokh leh jawai.

Phir chare diwas Gurbani gawai behndian uthdian har Naam dhiawai.

Jo sas giras dhiae mera har har so gursikh guru man bhawai.

Jisno dyal howai mera soami tis gursikh Guru updesh sunhawai.

Jan Nanak dhoor mangaitis gursikh ki jo aap japai awreh Naam japawi.

(Guru Granth Sahib, Page 305).

He who calls himself the disciple of the Satguru must wake up early in the morning (three hours before sunrise) and meditate on the Divine name. He must shake up all his laziness, take his bath, and meditate on His name. As taught by the Guru he must meditate on the Gur-mantra "Waheguru" and thus erase all the impressions of the wrong karmas (actions) he has done in various births and rebirths. Then at day dawn sing hymns in His praise. The Sikh who every moment keeps his mind fixed on the Divine name is dear to the Satguru. The Satguru showers his grace on him and shows him the path of at-one-ment (blends the Sikh with himself). Nanak begs the dust of the feet of such a gursikh, who himself meditates on the Divine name and directs others to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Next time I will be careful which website source I select to do my postings. As a matter of clarification I sincerely hope the following sources help to answer your question:

The following is from : http://drthind.net/manmohan/0305.html

mehlaa 4.

4th Guru.

gur satgur kaa jo sikh akhaa-ay so bhalkay uth har naam Dhi-aavai.

He, who calls himself a Sikh of the Great True Guru, should rise early and meditate on God's Name.

udam karay bhalkay parbhaatee isnaan karay amrit sar naavai.

He should make efforts early in the morning take bath and have ablution in the tank of Nectar.

updays guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilvikh paap dokh leh jaavai.

By repeating Lords God's Name under Guru's instruction all his sins misdeeds and accusations are wiped off.

fir charhai divas gurbaanee gaavai bahdi-aa uth-di-aa har naam Dhi-aavai.

Afterwards at sun rise he sings Gurbani and whilst sitting or standing he meditates in God's Name.

jo saas giraas Dhi-aa-ay mayraa har har so gursikh guroo man bhaavai.

The Guru's disciple who with every breath and morsel contemplates over my Lord God he becomes pleasing to Guru's mind.

The following "translation" is from www.sikhitothemax.com site:

Fourth Mehl:

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Please check the folowing Punjabi site too!

http://www.sikh.net/Gurbani/Darpan.htm

The following is from: http://www.sikhs.org/english/frame.html

FOURTH MEHL: One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name. Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar. Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased. Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name. One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

• 14 years later...
On 9/19/2005 at 12:32 PM, DHANBABANANAK said:

u said must meditate on waheguru, but what about mool mantar?

Brother,

what difference does it make?

Is not Waheguru the highest everlasting Truth?

Moreover, does not the Bani say, Jin Har japeeya, se Har hoeeya?

Plus Harbhajan Jee, by himself is not telling anybody to meditate on Waheguru, he is just underlying what the Bani says as seen  in his quote above:

gur satgur kaa jo sikh akhaa-ay so bhalkay uth har naam Dhi-aavai.

He, who calls himself a Sikh of the Great True Guru, should rise early and meditate on God's Name.

As simple as that.

Let us not be so petty minded, let us see fully what the other person is trying to say by pondering on it a bit,  we are not to get ablazed, for that reaction clouds our minds, thus we get more confused.

Stay blessed.

SSA.

• 1 month later...

GURU'S LOVE FOR HIS SIKHS

Last few days as Maghi Sangrad happened we were revised of 40 Mukte. It was so heart touching to see how much Guru Ji loved his Sikhs.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=573874730123507&id=373092366868412

Here's a Hindu story on how much lord loves his devotees. I found it worth sharing

Once Narada entered Vaikuntha and greeted Sriman Narayan. The Lord welcomed Narada and asked about his well-being.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Vishnu questioned “Narada! What do you think is the greatest among the Panchattatvas, the five elements? Is it the sky, wind, land, fire or water?”.

Narada thought for a while and replied “I feel it's the earth, the land. Because she alone bears the entire weight of beings!”.

Vishnu narrowed his eyes and said “How come it's the land, when three-fourths of the earth alone consist of water?”.

Narada thought and nodded slowly and admitted that water is the greatest.

Then Vishnu said “How come water is the greatest when the great sage Agastya was able to gulp all of it down into his stomach?”.

Narada scratched his head and ran his fingers over the strings of his Veena. “Hmm, then Agastya is the greatest?”.

Vishnu smirked and said “But Agastya is just a star in the sky. There are umpteen stars in the sky!”.

Narada widened his eyes and admitted “True. The sky is infinite and hence the greatest!”.

Vishnu cleared his throat and threw a challenging look at Narada. He said “But Oh Narada! With just three strides, the sky, earth and nether regions have been brought under my jurisdiction. Then who's the greatest?”.

Narada popped out his tongue in realisation of his mistake and said “Oh Lord! I apologise. Indeed it's you who is the greatest!”.

Vishnu then stood up and told Narada “Then imagine about that Devotee Narada, who has given refuge to this Vishnu inside his heart! With his prema-pasha, the noose of love, he has installed me in his heart and captured me there, which gives the greatest joy to me. Then who's the greatest Narada?!”.

Tears rolled down the eyes of Narada and he said “It's your devotees Lord!” after prostrating in front of the Lord.

The Unconquerable One suddenly becomes conquered by the love of his devotees like Yashoda and Gopikas.

The One without a beginning or end assumes a birth to give delight to his beloved ones and makes everyone overwhelmed on his departure. The devotees weep on his birth. They weep on his departure.

The One who is the master of all riches suddenly begins to aspire for the little amount of flat rice that has been brought by the poor Sudama, or the already tasted berries of Shabari.

The One who makes the three worlds dance on his one gaze suddenly enters the ranga-bhumi, and begins to dance on the whims of his beloved devotees, like a puppet attached by the chords of love.

The One who has no arrival, or departure, suddenly arrives on the request of his devotees like Prahlada or Meera.

The One who is free from all debts willingly entangles himself in the karmic debt to entertain his devotees, and cherish their emotions.

The Complete Man, suddenly becomes a woman to honor the antics of his female friends.

The One who has no hunger cries inconsolably when his mothers appears out of sight.

The One who is transcendental and is always satisfied in his own self, cries in his own joy of satisfaction on being fed with the milk.

The One for whom no work is described, takes on his catapult and breaks the pots of Gopikas, thus making them caressed with love when they are drenched from head to toe.

The One who has the entire opulence of the universe, who has the choicest of mansions to live, still chooses to reside in t he heart of his devotee.

If this isn’t compassion, then it isn’t really compassion what you’re seeking for!