Wearing of Hats?

Y is wearin of hats so bad in Sikhism? I've heard stories relating 2 dis but 4got dem all. Pls can u tell me y its bad (Or even if its not bad if der r ne points). And is wearing a patka as bad cos da old genaration of sikhs hate pakti. And i'm seeing amritdharis wearing pakti does days too.

I also wear a patka too but i'm not amritdhari. But y can't dey do dis? I thought our hair was our ID more den a Pug? I Luv da Gurus but y does dis conflect da beliefs.

Rups,

I would like to anwser your question as per my knowledge.

Just imgine a Sikh boy with Hat/cap? If turban was not that important then why do Sikhs wear Turban? Turban is not just a piece of cloth to cover your head but its a sign of the true identity of Sikh male/female.

If you want to ask question why hat is prohibited within sikhism then please first read about Turban and why Sikhs wear it.

Go ahead and read this article and it will give you anwser.

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/Sikhism11.asp

• 1 month later...

I dont think there is anything wrong with wearing a patka, as long as you are taking part in sports. I wear a patka when doing manual work such as painting etc, dont want to get my pagh dirty, so dont think there is anything wrong with that. Other than that.....always wear my pugh! :LOL:

Sikhi is about being practical.

Fateh ji

Here'z something about hats:

Kangha Dono Waqat Kar, Paag Chune Kar Bandhye

Comb your hair twice a day and take oof turban by taking off every single palla and same to wear. Do not take it off as a hat. Guru Ji ordered us notto wear hat

Sikh Hoe Sir Topi Dhare, Saat Janam Kushti Hoe Marre

A Sikh who wears hat shall die seven lives with illness of Kohar

yeah i say wearin hats is defo the work of kaljug, its takin away our identity, people come to the gurdwara wearin a hat :roll: thats jus sad,

and the thing with a patka is that guru gobind singh ji gave sikhs the identity by sikhs wearin a dastaar and not a patka. wearin a patka theses days is a fashion thing, cos i mean uno its not gonna kill a person for wearin a dastaar instead of a patka is it :nihung: :sikhiwink2: :sikhiwink1: :sikhigrin: :sikhsmile: :sikhwink:

• 3 weeks later...

lol@patkas look stupid.... :shock: they suit some people... i have never worn one myself - my kesh are real long and my joora is big... so a patka wud look even more sillier on me :P dastar keeps the joora under control :wink:

but lil singhs look wicked in patkas :yo:

lol@patkas look stupid.... :shock: they suit some people... i have never worn one myself - my kesh are real long and my joora is big... so a patka wud look even more sillier on me :P dastar keeps the joora under control :wink:

but lil singhs look wicked in patkas :yo:

Ha Haa. I wear my putka wid my hair tied bak! My hair cums down 2 my waist.

:)

Imagine Baba Deep Singh jee great warrior, mighty hero, walks into the gurdwara with a baseball cap with 'X' on the front!!!!! We've got our own culture. Everything you wear says something about you. 80% of our communication to other people is the non-verbal signals we pass.

30 years ago everyone in England wore a hat or a cap. The city workers had their black bowlers, the football fan had his felt cap, your head covering identified you. It told others who you where, what you believed, what your background was.

People say its only important to cover your head so I'll put a cap on. Imagine the Queen on her coronation came walking down the aisle with the whole world watching on TV, she sat down and the person who was to place the crown on her head whisked out a baseball cap and said 'O! Its only covering the head thats important - not what you cover it with!!!!!!!!' I dont think the queen would have been happy.

Guru Gobind Singh ji said 'khalsa mero roop ha khas' the khalsa is my special form. Wear a cap and look in the mirror, if you feel like the special form of Guru Gobind Singh ji then go ahead wear it, but to everyone else it will look like you are hiding your hair, ashamed of your Sikhi trying to be what you're not. like if the man on terraces wore a black bowler he wouldnt be accepted he would be laughed at.

You have to keep the outer physical discipline so that Naam can stay inside. A broken bottle will let the water leak out. If the outer discipline goes then bit by bit you merge back into the worldly way (manmat)where you came from and the same old thoughts will permeate your mind.

that is a total distortion of the martial capabilities of hats mugermanch...totally anti-hat

look at snatan veers like inspector gadget, he had just about everything packed into his hat. That bloke from James Bond used his like a chakr.

Please refrain from making slanderous comments against hats without having done your research first...

that is a total distortion of the martial capabilities of hats mugermanch

agreed. (and can no1 spell my name right :roll: )

totally anti-hat

I've been call a lot of things, but never anti-hat. You hurt my feelings. :(

look at snatan veers like inspector gadget, he had just about everything packed into his hat. That bloke from James Bond used his like a chakr.

Aye.

Please refrain from making slanderous comments against hats without having done your research first...

Is there a good book you recommed on Hats?? :twisted: As you have an extensive knowledge of Hats. Or can i just watch cartoon network?

Just joking jtsingh, Hats can be useful, in some situations. But only in some situations. It shouldnt just replace a Dastaar for someones personal preference.

Gurfateh

Hats off to you Mugermach, good reply (sorry about mispelling your name, I must have hat the wrong key)

the stuff about replacing a dastaar was bit old hat though.

topi or not topi is the real question

Some sewapanthis used to wear hats, some Udasis wore hats. Yet all wore hats that denoted being a sadhu, not baseball caps. It was just as much a symbol of religious conviction as a dastaar and in no way a way of getting out of wearing a dastaar (such as wearing a bandana or baseball cap).