Harimandir Sahib: "The House of Humility" !

Harbhajan

Harimandir Sahib

This unique temple of God has been built at the lowest level because it represents the humility of Guru Nanak. Humility Incarnate Guru Arjan selected the lowest level because this was to be the eternal seat of the Prophet of Humility, Sri Guru Nanak Sahib (manifest Sri Guru Granth Sahib).

Sri Guru Arjan Sahib got Sri Harimandir Sahib built in the midst of the sarovar (tank) at the lowest level. Unlike other temples where the devotees have to climb up to offer their obeisance, here the devotees have to step down to offer their homage. This unique temple of God has been built at the lowest level because it represents the humility of Guru Nanak. Humility Incarnate Guru Arjan selected the lowest level because this was to be the eternal seat of the Prophet of Humility, Sri Guru Nanak Sahib (manifest Sri Guru Granth Sahib).

The Sikhs were anxious to raise the plinth of Sri Harimandir Sahib higher than all the surrounding buildings and had strongly pleaded with the Guru for doing so but wonderful were divine outpourings of the Humility Personified Guru Arjan. Some extracts:

Garibi Gada Hamari, Khana Sagal Rein Chhari

Is Aage Ko Na Tikai Vekari

Sri Guru Granth Sahib (628)

“Humility is my mace; becoming the dust of everybody’s feet is my sword. No evil doer can dare withstand these weaponsâ€.

For a sikh, the Guru is the soul of his own soul.

Dasan Das Rein Dasan Ki, Jan Ki Tehal Kamawon,

Sarab Sookh Badyai Nanak Jiwon Mukhon Blawo

Sri Guru Granth Sahib (529)

“I have become dust of the feet of the slaves of His slaves and I serve His servants. Thus, I have achieved true joy and honour, I live by uttering His Holy Nameâ€

In this Great Temple, the four doors in all the four directions were thrown open to all the religions, to rich and poor, to high and low, and to the out-castes. All were welcome in this House of God. The poor, the low, the meak, the oppressed and the humble felt the presence of God face to face.

All religions have produced true lovers of God. A muslim mystic, a true lover of God, Hazrat Mian Mir, who had become a legend in his very life-time, was invited to lay the foundation stone of this Universal Temple of God, further signifying that this Temple of God belonged to all. On Dharma, religion, Sri Guru Arjan Sahib clarifies :

Sarb Dharam Mehn Sreisht Dharam

Har Ko Nam Jap Nirmal Karam

Sri Guru Granth Sahib (266)

The best of all Religions is the yearning for the Divine and purity of deeds.

Source: http://www.srigurugranthsahib.org/featured/harimandir.htm