Difference Between Swas Swas And Sas Giras

Taken from Sukhmani Sahib:

parabh kee ustat karahu din raat.

Praise God, day and night.

tiseh Dhi-aavahu saas giraas.

Meditate on Him with every breath and morsel of food.

Which lead to the question, what does the word morsel mean coz it's not part of my everyday vocabulary.

1. A small piece of food.

2. A tasty delicacy; a tidbit.

3. A small amount; a piece: a morsel of gossip.

4. One that is delightful and extremely pleasing.

Last night I had the opportunity to drive a Sant to a local gurdwara for his kirtan there over the next few days. I took the opportunity to ask him what meant by Saas Giras Simran?

He explained as follows:

When we recite the naam WaheGuru as we inhale we recite "Wahe" but as we breath in there is no vocal sound of this part of the gurmantar as it is gets absorbed inhalation of the breath. As you exhale you vocally recite "Guru".

So although you are reciting WaheGuru completely.

You only hear

GURU!

GURU!

GURU!

GURU!

GURU!

GURU!

GURU!

GURU!

• 8 months later...

Taken from Sukhmani Sahib:

parabh kee ustat karahu din raat.

Praise God, day and night.

tiseh Dhi-aavahu saas giraas.

Meditate on Him with every breath and morsel of food.

Which lead to the question, what does the word morsel mean coz it's not part of my everyday vocabulary.

1. A small piece of food.

2. A tasty delicacy; a tidbit.

3. A small amount; a piece: a morsel of gossip.

4. One that is delightful and extremely pleasing.

What Guru Ji is saying is to praise God day and night. Remember him with every breath and every bite of your food. You could try say waheguru in your mind, without vocabulary saying Waheguru. Ever tried doing simran just with your mind (Just by saying Waheguru in your mind)?

The Tapoban Forum and website contains a lot of information about naam and its importance and how one receives this from their Punj Pyare and the proper 'Gurmat' technique of japping naam swas swas as it was revealed to Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh.

Unfortunately today no one expect the Jatha tends to include this formal technique within their Amrit Sanchars and hence people are often confused with the appropriate way in which to Jap Naam. There are also a number of others items which are outlined on the Tapoban Forum concerns lapses within the Amrit Sanchar as conducted by non-Jatha groups today.

As advised on their forum, this is a 'gupt' nithi of the Amrit Sanchar and hence is not a technique for open discussion, if one desires it, one should approach the Punj Pyare (from the Jatha, since only they have this retained).

Don't get me wrong, I am all for Amrit Sanchar, but I don't agree with this whole only the panj pyare from a particular jatha will give you the proper technique. I see this as a form of advertising to attract the sangat to take amrit from a particular jatha or group. I am 99% certain it's probably one of the techniques already mentioned on this forum. The real test is do you have the determination and will to jap naam, do paath once the amrit sanchar is over, after the inital buzz of I am now a amritdhari has subsided. Have you truly given yourself to the Guru and will you now live your life as instructed. If your faith and sharda is strong, not matter where or who you partake the Amrit ceremony with, will have the same effect on you. When standing before any set of punj pyarey always envisge them as the roop of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Some faiths choose to keep the naam they recieve secret, in Sikhi the naam is common knowledge, so some have choosen to make a big secret about a jugti.

Sat1176, what you say may well be true however it is also true as per the relevation of many members of the Sangat on Tapoban who had previous had Amrit from a non-Jatha source and later joined the Jatha that their experienes changed after taking what they effectively described as the "real" amrit and for the first time experienced naam with 'naam dhrir'.

These cases exist in India, the UK and North America where existing Amritdharis (and not just neophytes) effectively 're-take' their Amrit in order to be given 'naam dhrir'.

Anyone have a problem with dozing off during simran with eyes closed? I am finding that at times I am sometimes sliping into a sleep state yet still consious. It's like your body is falling asleep yet you are still consious and know you are falling asleep. Should you bring yourself back to fully awakened consiousness, or go with the flow....

Any advice would be much appreciated..

• 8 years later...

Anyone have a problem with dozing off during simran with eyes closed? I am finding that at times I am sometimes sliping into a sleep state yet still consious. It's like your body is falling asleep yet you are still consious and know you are falling asleep. Should you bring yourself back to fully awakened consiousness, or go with the flow....Any advice would be much appreciated..

This is the same thing happening to me.Since,it has been a long now for your experience,So I hope you can deliver right answer about it now.So what should I do? Sometime,I can't resist it to happen and on same other time ,mind starts shouting dont let lost yourself.Be awake!! So its kinda confusion to me.

This very question was asked by a sangat member to Bhai Sewa Singh Tharmala in a Q&A session during the 2009 simran camp. It was broadcast on wahegurulive.com only a few days ago. I will upload the audio for you to have a listen but his teaching suggests to let it happen and enter the state of Sunn. In this stage waheguru will wake you up himself with anhad bani.