Incorrect statement by BJP leader

http://www.samachar.com/showurl.htm?rurl=h...~I~said:~Sushma

I stand by what I said: Sushma

Press Trust of India

New Delhi, June 24: Under attack from pro-Congress Sikh religious leaders here for her comments on the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev, senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj said she stood by her remarks that a Hindu courtier had little role in the execution of the fifth Guru ordered by Emperor Jehangir.

She also received support from Sikh scholars who described Jehangir's courtier Chandu as a "small fry" behind the Guru's execution.

"I did not concoct a story. I quoted excerpts from a book, 'Pancham Guru, Jeevani Guru Arjan Dev', by Satbir Singh. It clearly states that Jehangir was primarily responsible for the execution of Guru Arjan Dev as Sikhism was becoming popular fast because of its principles and teachings," Swaraj said.

Her comments came in the wake of Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) Chief Harvinder Singh Sarna accusing her of distorting historical facts related to the martyrdom.

"Is Sarna trying to belittle such a great sacrifice by linking it to a tiny courtier like Chandu who had some grudge against the Guru because he turned down a matrimonial proposal from him for the Guru's son," Swaraj said.

Sikh scholars also endorsed Swaraj's views, which she had expressed at Tarn Taran during a martyrdom anniversary event that Jehangir had his own reasons for ordering the execution.

"In a way she is right. There was a war of succession and Jehangir had to take a hardline to remain in power," Bhai Veer Singh Sahitya Sadan Director Mohinder Singh said.

In his comments, columnist Mahip Singh quoted excerpts from Jehangir's autobiography in which the Mughal emperor mentioned why he ordered the execution.

"In Tuzuk-i-Jehangiri, the emperor himself has used highly disparaging remarks against Sikhism and pledged to wipe it out," Singh said.

Akali parties also threw their weight behind Swaraj as they criticised the DSGMC Chief for what they called "politicising" the Guru's sacrifice.

"The martyrdom was not an ordinary event. It should be seen in its right perspective. There's no denying that it was the Mughal emperor who put the Guru to death," Akali Dal (Panthak) leader Manjit Singh, also a DSGMC member, said.

The Shiromani Akali Dal also accused the DSGMC of attempts to create a controversy out of Swaraj's remarks.

"Political differences are one thing, but history is another. It's sacrosanct. The DSGMC has tried to politicise a great sacrifice," SAD general secretary Onkar Singh Thapar said.

Guest Javanmard

Well according to the Portguese Jesuit accounts Chandu Lal played a great role in the martyrdom of Guru Arjan. It even tells how Chandu Lal (curses on him) beat Guru Arjan Dev Ji on the face with a shoe. That Sushma Swaraj as most of these BJP idiots are liars!

I guess maybe Jahangir was just lying in his memoirs (sarcasm), Touzke Jahangiri when he writes he executed Guru Arjun Dev Jee because of the spread of Sikhi. Sheikh Ahmad Sarhindi (the Mujaddid of Islam) of the Nakshbani Sufi sect was instrumental behind Jahangirs radical Islamic beleifs.

Guest Javanmard

I never said Jahangir was lying. I am just saying that Portuguese Jesuit accounts prove that Chandu Lal played a great part in the Ahmad Sirhindi-Jahangir orchestrated murder of Guru Arjan Dev Ji. The account is contemporary by the way and isn't from Persian sources...Regarding Jahangir's beliefs ask his wine bottle and his opium box if they were so radical or if it was more about pleasing the Naqshbandis...

In fact Jahangir had Ahmad Sirhindi imprisoned for his anti-Shi'a views. Jahangir was a weak man and relied on other people's opinions for his decisions: Ahmad Sirhindi, Nur Jahan or his Iranian Shi'a courtiers. Hence a lot of contradictory decisions.

Sure is Guru Arjan was executed on Jahangir's orders under the heavy influence of Ahmad Sirhindi but it is equally true from other contemporary sources that Chandu Lal played a great role in this assassination and torture.

Jahangir did not imprison Sheikh Ahmad because of his anti-Shai beliefs. He imprisoned him because the Mujaddad claimed he has gone further (spiritually) than the companions of the Prophet. This is blasphemy according to Islam that Jahangir could not tolerate and so he imprisoned him. But later on, he was released and had great influence on Mughal nobles and even Jahangir himself. He revived Sunni Islam from un-Islamic (Sunni) beliefs because of which he is called the Mujaddad and still to this day is revered by the Sunni Muslims of South Asia.

Guest Javanmard

The Encyclopaedia britannica thinks otherwise:

"Shaykh Ahmad's concept of wahdat ash-shuhud helped revitalize the Naqshbandiyah order, which retained its influence among Muslims in India and Central Asia for several centuries thereafter. A measure of his importance in the development of Islamic orthodoxy in India is the title that was bestowed posthumously on him, Mujaddid-i Alf-i Thani (“Renovator of the Second Millenniumâ€), a reference to the fact that he lived at the beginning of the second millennium of the Muslim calendar. His teachings were not always popular in official circles. In 1619, by the orders of the Mughal emperor Jahangir, who was offended by his aggressive opposition to Shi'ite views, Shaykh Ahmad was temporarily imprisoned in the fortress at Gwalior. His burial place at Sirhind is still a site of pilgrimage."

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9067987?tocId=9067987

We forget one point. It was Chandu, who was handed over to Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji by Jahangir. It was Chandu, who was beaten up by Sikhs. It was Chandu, who was killed in Lahore for his sin against Guru Arjun Dev Ji. It is a strong point to prove that Chandu played a big role in Shahaadat of Guru Arjun Dev Ji.

All Sikh texts mention Chandu as a main culprit. He has the reason to torture Guru Ji. Sikh texts go in details when describing Shaheedi of Guru Sahib Ji. I have seen tears in my father's eyes, when he used to do 'Katha' of this episode in Sri Gur Pratap Sooraj Granth.

Chandu Saahi was punished by Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji Maharaaj, because he played a major role in Shaheedi of Guru Arjun Dev Ji.

Strange how Jahangir does not even mention anyone named Chandu.

Personally I am of the belief that Guru Jee died because of the religious intolerance of the Islamic establishment of the time (as mentioned by Jahangir himself!) rather than some family feud between two KuRams.

I just said Chandu Saahi played a MAJOR role. There could be another reasons as well. Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji did not modify Sri (Guru) Granth Sahib Ji. He did not change basic Sikh principles.

We should read carefully what is written in 'Tuzak-e-Jahangiri. We can reach the conclusion that what is written is not all true. We cannot ignore what is written by old Sikh writers.

I suggest reading Sri Gur Pratap Sooraj Granth where Shahidi of Guru Arjan Dev Ji is mentioned. I have not enough time to translate all the pages, so I am really sorry.

Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji got Chandu from Jahangir and punished him. For more details, read Raas 5th, Ansu 3 of Sri Gur Pratap Sooraj Granth (Jahangir handed Chandu over to Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, Chandu was broght to Lahore city).

I would like to quote here Sri Gur Pratap Sooraj Granth: -

Tahaan Kahain Mukh Ooch Pukaar.

"Eh GurDrohi Kai Sir Maar.

Jo Satgur Ko Sikh Kahaavai.

Panahi Panch Dusht Ko Laavai".

(Uthhe oh uchhi saari Pukaar ke kenhde han, "Eh {Chandu} GurDrohi de sir vich maaro. Jo koi Satguru Da Sikh Akhvaanda hai, oh is dusht nu panj Juttiaan laavai").

Bhai Jethha Ji was a great Gursikh of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji. Now see, how a Sikh felt when they got Chandu. Bhai Jethha Ji was worried that Guru Ji would forgive Chandu. So, Bhai Jethha Ji made sure that Guru Ji did not see Chandu while he was being punished (See Raas 4, Ansu 6, stanza 21-22-23).

Children of Lahore city threw dust on Chandu's head and showed their full 'respect' for Chandu. People put chain around Chandu Saahi's neck and took him like a dog across Lahore city. Chandu 'enjoyed' love of lots of shoes, "Eh Gur Drohi Koor Kupatta. Im Kah Nar Gan Maarat Jutta".

Bhai Jethha Ji wanted to punish Chandu, but Chandu recieved extra shoes, Bhai Jethha Ji tried to stop people who were beating Chandu up. But people said, "Is Ko Maaran Punn Bisaala. Hatan Dehu Ham Ko Is Kaala". (It is a great virtue to beat him up. Let us kill him right now).

But, someone else got the big profit. It was 'Bharhbhoonja', who put hot sand on Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji Maharaj. Don't you believe?

When Bharhbhooja saw Chandu being beaten up by Lahorians, he took his hot 'Karhchha' in his hand and struck to Chandu's stomach. Chandu was kllled on the spot. His body was served to dogs of Lahore.

Was he punished for his 'little' role in Shahaadat of Guru Arjun Dev Ji?

Guest Javanmard

Neither me nor Amrit1972 said that it was a family feud that was behind Guru Arjan's martyrdom. SIngh47 persists in affirming things we have never said. Both Amrit1972 and myself believe that Chandu Lal played a major role WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE AHMAD SIRHINDI ORCHESTRATED ASSASSINATION BY JAHANGIR. Looking at an event one has to look at all the sources. Jahangir's own statements are complemented by the Sikh and Portguese Jesuit accounts because they go more into the detail of the martyrdom itself.

Singh47 seems to forget the very personality of Jahangir. Anyone knowing the sources well knows that Jahangir was a weak character addicted to opium and wine. The Mughal court was divided between two parties: the Turkish (Turani) pro-Ottoman Sunni (Naqshbandi) party and the Irani pro-Safavid Shi'a Sufi party. On the philosophical level the Turkish party defended wahdat al shuhud (unity of witnessing) and the Iranian party defended wahdat al wujud (unity of existence) which is close to the concept of Ikomkar.

Singh47's vision of Sikh history is made of courageous Sikhs dressed in saffron and blue, treacherous and greedy Hindus in red and evil fanatic Muslims in green...reality is far more complex than that...

In Jahangir's life and decisions we can notice that struggle of influence of those parties. His decision to have Guru Arjan Sahib executed was a direct consequence of Ahmad Sirhindi's influence. Sirhindi was the greatest defender of wahdat al shuhud, a Naqshbandi, fierce anti-Shi'a and the spiritual head of the Turani party at that time. On the other hand Jahangir's decision to have Sirhindi imprisoned can be seen as a consequence of the influence of the Irani Shi'a party represented by none other than his wife Nur Jahan, who at some point was the real power at the Mughal court.

To caricature this whole situation as a result of the "Islamic establishement" is just ridiculous.Apart from the fact that there no single monolithic Islamic establishement at that time and that each ruler had different religious attitudes (a quick glance at the Mughal rulers is enough) it was more than anything Jahangir's will to consolidate his power by pleasing the Turkish party that lead to Guru Arjan's martyrdom.

Well, I do agree that Chandu did play a role, but could it be possible that his role was similar to that of Sucha Nand or Gangu? I don’t believe he was the main perpetrator behind the Shaheedi of Guru Arjun Dev Jee, even though he did play a role, but he was not the main player behind the Shaheedi. The real hands behind the Shaheedi were Jahangir and Sheikh Sarhindi.

Guest Javanmard

Read again and you'll realise that this is exactly what Amrit1972 and I have said. Sirhindi and Jahangir planned the assassination but it was Chandu Lal who was responsible for enacting it. All three were responsible in Maharaj's martyrdom. Jahangir took the decision, Chandu Lal enacted it and Sirhindi was the brain in this tragedy. Of course one also has to take into account highly probable links between Chandu Lal and Sirhindi at their own local level in order to propaganda against Maharaj.

Gurfateh

Well Aresenla/explosive was there in mind of King against True Master but Chandu put fire in it.All sides are OK but Mrs Swaraj wants to ptrove that no hindu role in martyerdom.

She forgets the fact bad people are there in Sikhs also and Hindus also and Muslims also.They tend to make a Hindu Muslim affair and no Faith called Sikh Panth in between.Maijn itenetion of her was to let Sikhs and blame this top Muslims.