Alcohol

" durmat mad jo peevte bikhli pat kamli!

is a line in gurbani by Guru Arjan about alcohol. The translation i have used for this comes from sikhi to the max, and also a Taksal steek. I used this translation on a screen at my local gurdwara and the pardhaan went mad after he recieved complaints.

PLesae can you offer your or any Gianis tranlsation of this please, as I 'm gonna be up in front of the firing squad ie the alcohol selling/drinking comiittee members.

Time is of the essence here.

chatanga

Wine is being used as a metaphor. In Maharaj, wine is nearly always used to describe mans infatuation with maya, a state of drunkenness or intoxication for those things that take us away from Parm-atma (just like alcohol does in any case) which veils the drunk's eyes from truth.

It is "nearly" always used in a derogatory sense (others may disagree).

Gurbani often tells us that wordly wine is weak and insipid, and to find and become intoxicated by the true wine, naam.

ਸੁਰਤਿ ਪਿਆਲ ਸੁਧਾ ਰਸੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਏਹੁ ਮਹਾ ਰਸੁ ਪੇਉ ਰੇ ॥੩॥

My focused consciousness is the cup, and the Ambrosial Nectar is the pure juice. I drink in the supreme, sublime essence of this juice. ||3||

ਨਿਝਰ ਧਾਰ ਚੁਐ ਅਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਇਹ ਰਸ ਮਨੂਆ ਰਾਤੋ ਰੇ ॥

The pure stream constantly trickles forth, and my mind is intoxicated by this sublime essence.

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਸਗਲੇ ਮਦ ਛੂਛੇ ਇਹੈ ਮਹਾ ਰਸੁ ਸਾਚੋ ਰੇ ॥੪॥੧॥

Says Kabeer, all other wines are trivial and tasteless; this is the only true, sublime essence. ||4||1||

its not used in a negative sense in that quote shaheediyan.

all 'other' wines implies that Amrit is a 'wine' too.

Gurbani often says that simran will get you intoxicated on the wine of Naam and you forget worldly pleasures.

Its a metaphor, there is no physical 'wine of eveil mindedness'.

Says Kabeer, all other wines are trivial and tasteless; this is the only true, sublime essence. ||4||1||

"all 'other' wines implies that Amrit is a 'wine' too."

Veer ji, I don't think you meant to say that. The word "other" in this tuk refers to wordly wines (and ways) which are trivial and tasteless, "Amrit" is certainly not included in this grouping.

thanks for that info kirpa karo.

that verse actually talks about alcohol and the effect it has on a person ie madness enters and wisdom departs, so is this the same as gurmat departing and durmat entering ?

also the taksali translation of durmat mad jo peevte... is "those that drink that which brings durmat/madness into the mind they are/have the status of a man who's wife is a prostitute. "

this above is the translatiuon i used and the comittee have now forbade me to use this pangati, which i have agreed to, in any future presentations. They were saying that the above translation as given by taksal is not correct.

Others have posted that durmat mad is not refering specifically to alcohol, but i still get the feeling that the taksal interpretation is a valid one altho it can be one of many interpretations.

Das will value any Gurmukhs help iin the above. And does anyone know what has hapned to Vijaydeep Singh?

chatanga

And does drinking physical alchohol not bring durmat?

Alchohol is the true scurge of the Punjabi community, it has devastated it and caused untold misery and violence to hundreds and thousands of wives, mothers and children.

Chatanga, you don't need Gurmat to prove the durmat affect of sharaab, the NSO is all you need (not that bani does not explain it clearly, even though parties that be will twist it to suit their own lifestyle).

To see the beautiful affects of sharaab, all one has to do is attend a Punjabi wedding. Seedy night/fight/caste promoting/ninda/ego boosting/name calling club all roled into one.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs04/r216.pdf

http://www.sirc.org/publik/alcohol_related_violence2.shtml

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/files/200...y%20release.pdf

http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_policy/violence.htm

http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/45856/

Each year, a typical young person in the United States is inundated with more than 1,000 commercials for beer and wine coolers and several thousand fictional drinking incidents on television.

Alcohol is involved in 50% of all driving fatalities.

In the United States, every 30 minutes someone is killed in an alcohol related traffic accident.

Over 15 million Americans are dependent on alcohol. 500,000 are between the age of 9 and 12.

Each year the liquor industry spends almost $2 billion dollars on advertising and encouraging the consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Americans spend over $90 billion dollars total on alcohol each year.

An average American may consume over 25 gallons of beer, 2 gallons of wine, and 1.5 gallons of distilled spirits each year.

Pregnant women who drink are feeding alcohol to their babies. Unfortunately the underdeveloped liver of the baby can only burn alcohol at half the rate of its mother, so the alcohol stays in the baby's system twice as long.

Each year students spend $5.5 billion on alcohol, more then they spend on soft drinks, tea, milk, juice, coffee, or books combined.

56% of students in grade 5 to 12 say that alcohol advertising encourages them to drink.

6.6% of employees in full time jobs report heavy drinking, defined as drinking five or more drinks per occasion on five or more days in the past 30 days.

The highest percentage of heavy drinkers (12.2%) is found among unemployed adults between the age of 26 to 34

Up to 40% of all industrial fatalities and 47% of industrial injuries can be linked to alcohol consumption and alcoholism.

In 2000, almost 7 million persons age 12 to 20 was a binge drinker; that is about one in five persons under the legal drinking age was a binge drinker.

The 2001 survey shows 25 million (one in ten) Americans surveyed reported driving under the influence of alcohol. This report is nearly three million more than the previous year. Among young adults age 18 to 25 years, almost 23% drove under the influence of alcohol.

Drunk driving is proving to be even deadlier then what we previously know. The latest death statistics released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), using a new method of calculation show that 17,488 people where killed in alcohol related traffic accidents last year. This report represents nearly 800 more people where killed than the previous year.

Alcohol is the number 1 drug problem in America.

43% of Americans have been exposed to alcoholism in their families.

Nearly one out of 4 Americans admitted to general hospitals have alcohol problems or are undiagnosed alcoholics being diagnosed for alcohol related consequences.

Alcohol and alcohol related problems is costing the American economy at least $100 million in health care and lost of productivity every year.

Four in ten criminal offenders report alcohol as a factor in violence.

Among spouse violence victims, three out of four incidents were reported to have involved alcohol use by the offender.

In 1996, local law enforcement agencies made an estimated 1,467,300 arrests nationwide for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Drawrof you are a naughty boy.

ok n30 lets have your opinion on this matter anyway.

The word durmat in what some of the others are saying would include more or less everyone but the mahapursh in its category. So if the majority of the world falls into this category or even half the world are there enough prostitutes in the world to make this true?

This is how I interpret it.

Maya is a Wine, drinking it Intelligences departs. Drinking Maya your intoxicated by it, your wealth, home, attachment, fame etc etc.

Only by Knowledge can one start understanding God's Will. This is why Guru Ji says that a cup (mind) which is empty (of knowledge) makes the most noise.