Sehajdhari website

tSingh

remember in 1699 khande di paul wasnt for anyone and everyone. Baba Deep Singh Jo had to do (i think) 18 years of seva before recieving khande di paul. Amritdharis are supposed to be those who are members of akaal fauj. If youve taken amrit yet dont adopt akaali fauj rules then you might aswell rename yourselves as nirmala, sevapanthi or udhasi.

you'd rename yourself udasi..there's no h in udasi (a popular snatan myth!). Nirmalay were and are khanda di amrit khalsa (although certainly not all)..even Ustad ji nodded to that one the last time I spoke to him about it. Khalsa was not just the Nihang form, hence the 'nirmal' and gyan aspects of the 'Khalsa' bani in Sri Dasam Granth and Sarbloh Granth.

Baba Deep Singh had to do 18 ears of sewa b4 receiving khande ki pahul. i never heard hat b4. I heard of sakhi a a man called Alam who came to Guru Darbar and asked what is the purpose of amrit. Take and see replied guru. Alam took it that day. you know the rest but i dont think that Guru would have 18 years as such a prerequisite for any1 taking khande ki pahul.

It isn't that simple either, for some reason people feel annihilation of who you have been up until that 'magic' point occurs....is sikhi really that negative?

As for the 'snatan' thing. Well it is a construct that I believe came into vogue during a questionable time of transition where everything from the economy to the social milieu was undergoing change. Does it make it authentic? does it mean anything which is against today's 'norm' is authentic? does it mean that sikhi is 'snatan'?.....

As much as I have respect for those who dived into things deeply (as I guess I have a tendency to do at times), I wonder...what about the average joe bloggs/jeet singh/jora das...who experienced something moving/stirring when in sangat or by chance or in prachar....and decided to imbibe that goodnes....would they have run to find authenticity? or just took what they could till the had the inner volition to go further (which I am totally in support of)? The tendencies of jatha's/groups etc. today is to find means for elitism...an aggrandization one self through some authenticated or falsely substantiated 'perceived' norm. Kharag Singh, I do hope that sikhs as a group move away from 'reductionist' tendencies and actually see that 'life' (in general) is quite 'fluid' (although this is a word people don't like...I myself prefer the bluey/gray color)...

• 8 years later...