Vishnu Sahasranamam by Guru Arjun Dev Ji Maharaj

[align=center:e9ffeab8c8]Jai Jai Shri Mahakaal Jai Jai Shri Chandika!

Khushia Da Jaikara Gujave Nihaal Ho Jave So Fateh Paave Akaaal!

Sat Shri Akaal![/align:e9ffeab8c8]

I found on a website a reference to this Shabad as Vishnu Sahasranamam, check it out the shabad's poetry is magnificent!

AMg 1082

ang 1082

mwrU mhlw 5 ]

maaroo mehulaa 5

Maaroo, Fifth Mehl:

Acuq pwrbRhm prmysur AMqrjwmI ]

achuth paarubrehum purumaesur anthurujaamee

The Supreme Lord God is imperishable, the Transcendent Lord, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts.

mDusUdn dwmodr suAwmI ]

mudhusoodhun dhaamodhur suaamee

He is the Slayer of demons, our Supreme Lord and Master.

irKIkys govrDn DwrI murlI mnohr hir rMgw ]1]

rikheekaes govurudhun dhaaree murulee munohur har rungaa

The Supreme Rishi, the Master of the sensory organs, the uplifter of mountains, the joyful Lord playing His enticing flute. ||1||

mohn mwDv ik®s~ murwry ]

mohun maadhuv kirusu muraarae

The Enticer of Hearts, the Lord of wealth, Krishna, the Enemy of ego.

jgdIsur hir jIau Asur sMGwry ]

jugudheesur har jeeo asur sunghaarae

The Lord of the Universe, the Dear Lord, the Destroyer of demons.

jgjIvn AibnwsI Twkur Gt Gt vwsI hY sMgw ]2]

jugujeevun abinaasee thaakur ghutt ghutt vaasee hai sungaa

The Life of the World, our eternal and ever-stable Lord and Master dwells within each and every heart, and is always with us. ||2||

DrxIDr eIs nrisMG nwrwiex ]

dhuruneedhur ees nurasingh naaraaein

The Support of the Earth, the man-lion, the Supreme Lord God.

dwVw AgRy ipRQim Drwiex ]

dhaarraa agrae pritham dhuraaein

The Protector who tears apart demons with His teeth, the Upholder of the earth.

bwvn rUpu kIAw quDu krqy sB hI syqI hY cMgw ]3]

baavun roop keeaa thudh kuruthae subh hee saethee hai chungaa

O Creator, You assumed the form of the pygmy to humble the demons; You are the Lord God of all. ||3||

sRI rwmcMd ijsu rUpu n ryiKAw ]

sree raamuchundh jis roop n raekhiaa

You are the Great Raam Chand, who has no form or feature.

bnvwlI ck®pwix dris AnUipAw ]

bunuvaalee chukrupaan dhuras anoopiaa

Adorned with flowers, holding the chakra in Your hand, Your form is incomparably beautiful.

shs nyqR mUriq hY shsw ieku dwqw sB hY mMgw ]4]

sehus naethr moorath hai sehusaa eik dhaathaa subh hai mungaa

You have thousands of eyes, and thousands of forms. You alone are the Giver, and all are beggars of You. ||4||

Bgiq vClu AnwQh nwQy ]

bhugath vushul anaatheh naathae

You are the Lover of Your devotees, the Master of the masterless.

gopI nwQu sgl hY swQy ]

gopee naath sugul hai saathae

The Lord and Master of the milk-maids, You are the companion of all.

bwsudyv inrMjn dwqy brin n swkau gux AMgw ]5]

baasudhaev nirunjun dhaathae buran n saako gun angaa

O Lord, Immacuate Great Giver, I cannot describe even an iota of Your Glorious Virtues. ||5||

mukMd mnohr lKmI nwrwiex ]

mukundh munohur lukhumee naaraaein

Liberator, Enticing Lord, Lord of Lakshmi, Supreme Lord God.

dRopqI ljw invwir auDwrx ]

dhroputhee lujaa nivaar oudhaarun

Savior of Dropadi's honor.

kmlwkMq krih kMqUhl And ibnodI inhsMgw ]6]

kumulaakunth kurehi kunthoohul anudh binodhee nihusungaa

Lord of Maya, miracle-worker, absorbed in delightful play, unattached. ||6||

AmoG drsn AwjUnI sMBau ]

amogh dhurusun aajoonee sunbho

The Blessed Vision of His Darshan is fruitful and rewarding; He is not born, He is self-existent.

Akwl mUriq ijsu kdy nwhI Kau ]

akaal moorath jis kudhae naahee kho

His form is undying; it is never destroyed.

AibnwsI Aibgq Agocr sBu ikCu quJ hI hY lgw ]7]

abinaasee abiguth agochur subh kish thujh hee hai lugaa

O imperishable, eternal, unfathomable Lord, everything is attached to You. ||7||

sRIrMg bYkuMT ky vwsI ]

sreerung baikunth kae vaasee

The Lover of greatness, who dwells in heaven.

mCu kCu kUrmu AwigAw AauqrwsI ]

mush kush koorum aagiaa aouthuraasee

By the Pleasure of His Will, He took incarnation as the great fish and the tortoise.

kysv clq krih inrwly kIqw loVih so hoiegw ]8]

kaesuv chuluth kurehi niraalae keethaa lorrehi so hoeigaa

The Lord of beauteous hair, the Worker of miraculous deeds, whatever He wishes, comes to pass. ||8||

inrwhwrI inrvYru smwieAw ]

niraahaaree niruvair sumaaeiaa

He is beyond need of any sustenance, free of hate and all-pervading.

Dwir Kylu cqurBuju khwieAw ]

dhaar khael chuthurubhuj kehaaeiaa

He has staged His play; He is called the four-armed Lord.

swvl suMdr rUp bxwvih byxu sunq sB mohYgw ]9]

saavul sundhur roop bunaavehi baen sunuth subh mohaigaa

He assumed the beautiful form of the blue-skinned Krishna; hearing His flute, all are fascinated and enticed. ||9||

bnmwlw ibBUKn kml nYn ]

bunumaalaa bibhookhun kumul nain

He is adorned with garlands of flowers, with lotus eyes.

suMdr kuMfl mukt bYn ]

sundhur kunddul mukutt bain

His ear-rings, crown and flute are so beautiful.

sMK ck® gdw hY DwrI mhw swrQI sqsMgw ]10]

sunkh chukr gudhaa hai dhaaree mehaa saaruthee suthusungaa

He carries the conch, the chakra and the war club; He is the Great Charioteer, who stays with His Saints. ||10||

pIq pIqMbr iqRBvx DxI ]

peeth peethunbur thribhuvun dhunee

The Lord of yellow robes, the Master of the three worlds.

jgMnwQu gopwlu muiK BxI ]

jugunnaath gopaal mukh bhunee

The Lord of the Universe, the Lord of the world; with my mouth, I chant His Name.

swirMgDr Bgvwn bITulw mY gxq n AwvY srbMgw ]11]

saaringudhur bhuguvaan beethulaa mai gunuth n aavai surubungaa

The Archer who draws the bow, the Beloved Lord God; I cannot count all His limbs. ||11||

inhkMtku inhkyvlu khIAY ]

nihukunttuk nihukaevul keheeai

He is said to be free of anguish, and absolutely immaculate.

DnµjY jil Qil hY mhIAY ]

dhununjai jal thal hai meheeai

The Lord of prosperity, pervading the water, the land and the sky.

imrq lok pieAwl smIpq AsiQr Qwnu ijsu hY ABgw ]12]

miruth lok paeiaal sumeeputh asathir thaan jis hai abhugaa

He is near this world and the nether regions of the underworld; His Place is permanent, ever-stable and imperishable. ||12||

piqq pwvn duK BY BMjnu ]

pathith paavun dhukh bhai bhunjun

The Purifier of sinners, the Destroyer of pain and fear.

AhMkwr invwrxu hY Bv KMfnu ]

ahunkaar nivaarun hai bhuv khunddun

The Eliminator of egotism, the Eradicator of coming and going.

BgqI qoiKq dIn ik®pwlw guxy n ikq hI hY iBgw ]13]

bhuguthee thokhith dheen kirupaalaa gunae n kith hee hai bhigaa

He is pleased with devotional worship, and merciful to the meek; He cannot be appeased by any other qualities. ||13||

inrMkwru ACl Afolo ]

nirunkaar ashul addolo

The Formless Lord is undeceivable and unchanging.

joiq srUpI sBu jgu maulo ]

joth suroopee subh jug moulo

He is the Embodiment of Light; through Him, the whole world blossoms forth.

so imlY ijsu Awip imlwey Awphu koie n pwvYgw ]14]

so milai jis aap milaaeae aapuhu koe n paavaigaa

He alone unites with Him, whom He unites with Himself. No one can attain the Lord by himself. ||14||

Awpy gopI Awpy kwnw ]

aapae gopee aapae kaanaa

He Himself is the milk-maid, and He Himself is Krishna.

Awpy gaU crwvY bwnw ]

aapae goo churaavai baanaa

He Himself grazes the cows in the forest.

Awip aupwvih Awip Kpwvih quDu lypu nhI ieku iqlu rMgw ]15]

aap oupaavehi aap khupaavehi thudh laep nehee eik thil rungaa

You Yourself create, and You Yourself destroy. Not even a particle of filth attaches to You. ||15||

eyk jIh gux kvn bKwnY ]

eaek jeeh gun kuvun bukhaanai

Which of Your Glorious Virtues can I chant with my one tongue?

shs PnI syK AMqu n jwnY ]

sehus funee saekh anth n jaanai

Even the thousand-headed serpent does not know Your limit.

nvqn nwm jpY idnu rwqI ieku guxu nwhI pRB kih sMgw ]16]

nuvuthun naam jupai dhin raathee eik gun naahee prubh kehi sungaa

One may chant new names for You day and night, but even so, O God, no one can describe even one of Your Glorious Virtues. ||16||

Et ghI jgq ipq srxwieAw ]

outt gehee juguth pith surunaaeiaa

I have grasped the Support, and entered the Sanctuary of the Lord, the Father of the world.

BY BieAwnk jmdUq duqr hY mwieAw ]

bhai bhaeiaanuk jumudhooth dhuthur hai maaeiaa

The Messenger of Death is terrifying and horrendous, and sea of Maya is impassable.

hohu ik®pwl ieCw kir rwKhu swD sMqn kY sMig sMgw ]17]

hohu kirupaal eishaa kar raakhuhu saadh sunthun kai sung sungaa

Please be merciful, Lord, and save me, if it is Your Will; please lead me to join with the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||17||

idRsitmwn hY sgl imQynw ]

dhrisattimaan hai sugul mithaenaa

All that is seen is an illusion.

ieku mwgau dwnu goibd sMq rynw ]

eik maago dhaan gobidh sunth raenaa

I beg for this one gift, for the dust of the feet of the Saints, O Lord of the Universe.

msqik lwie prm pdu pwvau ijsu pRwpiq so pwvYgw ]18]

musuthak laae purum pudh paavo jis praapath so paavaigaa

Applying it to my forehead, I obtain the supreme status; he alone obtains it, unto whom You give it. ||18||

ijn kau ik®pw krI suKdwqy ]

jin ko kirupaa kuree sukhudhaathae

Those, unto whom the Lord, the Giver of peace, grants His Mercy,

iqn swDU crx lY irdY prwqy ]

thin saadhoo churun lai ridhai puraathae

grasp the feet of the Holy, and weave them into their hearts.

sgl nwm inDwnu iqn pwieAw Anhd sbd min vwjMgw ]19]

sugul naam nidhaan thin paaeiaa anehudh subudh man vaajungaa

They obtain all the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord; the unstruck sound current of the Shabad vibrates and resounds within their minds. ||19||

ikrqm nwm kQy qyry ijhbw ]

kiruthum naam kuthae thaerae jihubaa

With my tongue I chant the Names given to You.

siq nwmu qyrw prw pUrblw ]

sath naam thaeraa puraa poorubulaa

'Sat Naam' is Your perfect, primal Name.

khu nwnk Bgq pey srxweI dyhu drsu min rMgu lgw ]20]

kuhu naanuk bhuguth peae surunaaee dhaehu dhurus man rung lugaa

Says Nanak, Your devotees have entered Your Sanctuary. Please bestow the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan; their minds are filled with love for You. ||20||

qyrI giq imiq qUhY jwxih ]

thaeree gath mith thoohai jaanehi

You alone know Your state and extent.

qU Awpy kQih qY Awip vKwxih ]

thoo aapae kuthehi thai aap vukhaanehi

You Yourself speak, and You Yourself describe it.

nwnk dwsu dwsn ko krIAhu hir BwvY dwsw rwKu sMgw ]21]2]11]

naanuk dhaas dhaasun ko kureeahu har bhaavai dhaasaa raakh sungaa

Please make Nanak the slave of Your slaves, O Lord; as it pleases Your Will, please keep him with Your slaves. ||21||2||11||

[glow=red][highlight=red]

kirtam naam kathae thaerae jehiba. satinaam teraa paraa poorablaa

since you quote this priceless tuk from gurbani, i cannot help myself but i have to open can of worms..lol.

i just wanted to get your opnion along with sangat's opnion on this tuk. In this tuk, is guru sahib referring to jaap on "satnam" mantar as para poorabla(mantar of para bani-primal force) or guru sahib is referring back to vahiguroo mantar as satnaam(vishesan of satnam-true name).

According to puratan samparda- upsamarpda of nirmale- rara sahib, hoti mardan, harkhowale, - satnam is consider an para poorabla mantar (standalone mantar) along with ikongkar(maha mantar/bij mantar), vahiguroo (gurmantar). soo much soo upon taking amrit from mahapursh from these upsamparda's mentioned above in form of panj pyares, lot of jaigasio have got satnaam as parpoorbla mantar but off course not all. I guess avastha plays an role on which guru ghar mantars one gets from puratan sampardav'as when taking amritdat.

Neo,

Please explain how satnaam is not a kirtam naam, I cannot see how it is not from what I have been taught.

Also, in regards to sampardas giving updesh to do jaap of satnaam or ik oankaar, I see no problem with this at all. Maharaj never said there is anything wrong with doing that, instead they said 'karam naam barnat sumat'. But regardless, I still believe that satnaam here refers to vaahiguroo mantar, in the same way that it means vaahiguroo when bhai gurdaas jee says 'namaskaar gurdev ko, satnaam jis mantar suniya'

I listened to katha of Sant Jarnail Singh that he talks about this and he says there is nothing wrong with japping damodar, raam, beethula, etc., and we shouldnt do any shanka on them as they will cut our paap. However, as a Sikh we should understand that these are kirtam naam and it is hukam for us to jap satnaam mantar of vaahiguroo.

Neo,

Please explain how satnaam is not a kirtam naam, I cannot see how it is not from what I have been taught.

Also, in regards to sampardas giving updesh to do jaap of satnaam or ik oankaar, I see no problem with this at all. Maharaj never said there is anything wrong with doing that, instead they said 'karam naam barnat sumat'. But regardless, I still believe that satnaam here refers to vaahiguroo mantar, in the same way that it means vaahiguroo when bhai gurdaas jee says 'namaskaar gurdev ko, satnaam jis mantar suniya'

I listened to katha of Sant Jarnail Singh that he talks about this and he says there is nothing wrong with japping damodar, raam, beethula, etc., and we shouldnt do any shanka on them as they will cut our paap. However, as a Sikh we should understand that these are kirtam naam and it is hukam for us to jap satnaam mantar of vaahiguroo.

I dont consider satnam being kirtam naam, i dont beleive above tuk talks about satnaam being kirtam naam.

Kirtam naam relates with four types of dunavi naam sanaskar according to the faridkot teeka. Satnaam is higher than kirtam naam, and its a mantar of primal force(para bani), satnam is para poorbla mantar.

Here is what faridkot teek have to say regarding this tuk.

satnam%20paraporabla.JPG

Quoting from amritpal singh amrit post regarding kirtam naam and satnaam:

The name such as 'Muraari', Gopaal, Krishna, Govind etc are Kirtam Naam. but it does not mean that Gurbani says that we should NOT use these name. This Shabd has used the 'Kirtam Naam' very beautifully, for example: Madhusudan, Damodar, Rikhikes, Govardhan dhaari, Mohan Maadhav, Krishn, Muraare, Narsingh, Baavan, Banvaali, chakrapaani, Peetambar etc.

'Naam' itself is Waheguru. 'Sat' is visheshan or adjective of the Naam. The 'Naam' of the God is, as said in Fareedkoti teeka, is beyond even 'Paraa'. Thus, in fact, the word 'Satnaam' itself is a visheshan or adjective of the Naam. It is a very deep point.

Here are some of Gurughar daie Mantars-

- Siri Japji Sahib knowns as Mala Mantar.

- Ikongkar Sat Nam Kartapurkh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal Morat Ajuni Saibhang Gurparsad known as Mool Mantar.

- Ikongkar known as Maha Mantar/Bij Mantar. Bij mantar sab ko gian ||

- Sat Nam known as Pra Poorbala Mantar.

- Vahiguroo known as Gurmantar.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Neo:

"according to viakaran- yes but according to adhyatamic arth or uthanka- NO!."

1. Please could you define in English the terms "viakaran", "adhyatamic", "arth" and "uthanka".

2. Please could you explain the difference between "Beej" and "Mool" and also define "Pra Poorbala".

Thanks,

N.

1. a) Vikaran means grammar, requires years of studying languages- gurmukhi, sanskrit, farsi etc. First teeka of sri guru granth sahib ji done in vikayaran was done by prof sahib singh.

B) Adyatamic arths of gurbani are arths(meaning) of gurbani done from spiritual context..mostly sants who are blessed by satguru have reached bhramgyan/turiya avastha and have anubhav parkash of dhur ki bani. Gurbani is from dhur to get true ras and meaning, one have to experience it from dhuru(nirgun paratma) and that experience is called anubhav parkash. EG- Bhai Vir Singh Ji teeka of sri guru granth sahib ji along with Sant gurbachan singh ji steeks of various banis, faridkoti teeka by nirmale.

c) Uthanka is interperating gurbani from historical context.. Historcial context is shown via sakhiya/janam sakhiya. Eg: Dera Sato gali Uthanka steek of sri guru granth sahib ji by sant amir singh ji.

2) Bij Mantar sarb ko gian ||.

Bij is referred to ikongkar.

Mool Mantar is Ikongkar Satnaam Kartapurkh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal Moraat Ajoni Saihbhang Gurparsad ||

Pra Porbala mantar is referred to Satnaam.

Kirtam Naam Kathaie teraie Jehbaha Satnaam Tera Paara Poorblaa ||

Thanks Neo - please could you help distinguish between "Mool" and "Bij" as per what these mean?

Bij means seed, Mool means root. Farmer first plants a seed then root grows. Similiarly, Sri guru nanak dev ji planted first bij/seed(ikongkar) and gave us root of that bij which is mool- Ikongkar Satnam Karta Purkh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal Moorat Ajooni Siahbhang Gurparsad ||

Maal Mantra is japji sahib. :D

Bij Mantar ---> Mool Mantar ---> Mala Mantar.

Sikhi started from ikongkar(sargun/nirgun) Vahiguroo ends at Ikongkar. If sikhs wishes to know more about ikongkar(bij)..sargun/nirgun paratama. they should read mool mantar which talks about attributes of vahiguroo ji both sargun and nirgun and if they wishes to get more understanding of paratma look into japji sahib (maal mantra).

Ikongkar is bij(seed) of sri guru granth sahib ji, mool mantar is root of sri guru granth sahib ji, japji sahib is summary of whole sri guru granth sahib ji and rest of contents in sri guru granth sahib ji is gyan further explained based on bij, mool and japji sahib(mala mantar).

Bij Mantar ---> Mool Mantar ---> Mala Mantar.

That's interesting. Once I heard Singhs in a Gurdwara talking about something similar. One Singh said that the Mul Matra is an explaination of Ik Oankaar. Jap Jee Sahib is an explaination of the Mool Matra, and the entire Guru Granth Sahib is an explaination of Japji Sahib.

Diagram looks something like this:

Ik Oankaar ---> Mul Matra ---> Japji Sahib ---> Guru Granth Sahib

That's interesting. Once I heard Singhs in a Gurdwara talking about something similar. One Singh said that the Mul Matra is an explaination of Ik Oankaar. Jap Jee Sahib is an explaination of the Mool Matra, and the entire Guru Granth Sahib is an explaination of Japji Sahib.

Diagram looks something like this:

Ik Oankaar ---> Mul Matra ---> Japji Sahib ---> Guru Granth Sahib

nicely put bro :D