~Guru TeghBahudar Ji real potrait in calcutta museum ~

SAadmin

Here is real potrait of sri guru tegh bahudar ji, its orginally from decca but now currently residing in calcutta museum.

This potrait was given to me by sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale who have research on this potrait. Sant ji talks about orgin of this potrait, once one shardlu asked premession from guru ji to draw his potrait. Guru ji told him shabad naal zaro. After repetetive benti from shardlu, guru gave premession to draw his potrait. At this point, shardlu sikh tried to draw guru ji picture. However he cannot draw guru ji face because it was full of parkash. Again shardlu benti guru ji, at that point naouvaen sache patsah himself drew his elahi noor face and completed this potrait.

Here darshan karo: :D

Guru%20Tegh%20Bahudar%20Ji%20real%20picture.jpg

• 2 years later...

By the looks of it, Sobha Singh didn't do his research properly when he painted his now famous picture of Guru Tegh Bahadhur. Or perhaps these images weren't known of or openly available or even recognised at the time? In any case, in his iconic depiction Guru Tegh Bahadhur is portrayed as a humble, shaant, meditating type and the image has burnt into the imagination and consciousness of the last few generations.

guruteg.jpg

The depiction seems in stark contrast to what we seem to be finding now in much older paintings, some of which claim to be contemporary. Here Guru ji is represented in a more powerful, regal form. The hawk and distinguished clothing denote an emperor like status (to me anyway) as well as having distinct warrior connotations. Something we'd probably usually associate with Guru Gobind Singh instead? Indeed Guru Gobind Singh ji is referred to as 'bajaan wale' even today.

Here is another purported contemporary image of Guru Tegh Bahadhur I posted a few weeks ago. The resemblance between this image and that posted by N30 above is striking.

http://www.sikhawareness.com//index.php?showtopic=12909&st=0&p=114563&fromsearch=1&#entry114563

Edited by dalsingh101

Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was both a Yodha and Sadhu, at different stages oof his life. Their earlier years were spent as a Warrior, fighting alongside his Father, latter years were spent in bhagti i.e. during the time the search for the 9th Guru commenced.

Sobha Singhs painting (as with everything else during his era) is westernised.

Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was both a Yodha and Sadhu, at different stages oof his life. Their earlier years were spent as a Warrior, fighting alongside his Father, latter years were spent in bhagti i.e. during the time the search for the 9th Guru commenced.

Sobha Singhs painting (as with everything else during his era) is westernised.

My point was that the surviving older iconography portrays him as a yodha more than a sadhu. There has been a distinct transformation.

why do the paintings / portraits from that time all look the same to me ? same pointed beard, long eyebrows , sharp elongated long nose, similar beard and moustache style and length , similar eyes, skinny arms and small hands... 1 dimensional body and same sagittal pose... maybe something is wrong with my eyes or maybe this was just a prevalent style during that era.

check out the portrait of aurangzeb

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt9g50074b/?docId=kt9g50074b&layout=printable-details

dara sikhoh

http://www.clockworksky.net/gurkani_alam/ah_mughal_summary.html

i wish some of the more realism painters from the west had gotten the chance to draw a true depictive portrait of Guru Jis, but obviously they did not have the karma to get the darshan.

wt my take home message is if a sikh truly has the desire to get darshan of guru ji then he has to work hard and strive for it, no one is going to take a photograph and say here you go son , have darshan. its a tough game but gotta play it regardless.

It was a time of convention Ragmaala. There doesn't seem to much in terms of striking originality in the art of the period. That isn't to say that there isn't much of interest and beauty in what was created.

Years ago I had similar thoughts to what you expressed above when I briefly studied the art work of the renaissance, which was roughly contemporary to our own thing in Panjab. So, they were painting some serious, realistic art work at the same time Guru Nanak walked the earth. I think it is a good idea for all Sikhs to study the Italian renaissance btw.

That last point you made was a deep one. I'm sort of glad that we didn't have photographic style images made of our Gurus, because it leaves much the imagination and helps preserve an aura of mysticism that goes with the faith. Let darshan be truly earned like you mentioned.

DTF: I don't share your opinion on Sobha Singh, personally I believe Kirpal Singh was/is equally as powerful an artist with his gritty realistic style.

Edited by dalsingh101

• 4 years later...

Here is real potrait of sri guru tegh bahudar ji, its orginally from decca but now currently residing in calcutta museum.

This potrait was given to me by sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale who have research on this potrait. Sant ji talks about orgin of this potrait, once one shardlu asked premession from guru ji to draw his potrait. Guru ji told him shabad naal zaro. After repetetive benti from shardlu, guru gave premession to draw his potrait. At this point, shardlu sikh tried to draw guru ji picture. However he cannot draw guru ji face because it was full of parkash. Again shardlu benti guru ji, at that point naouvaen sache patsah himself drew his elahi noor face and completed this potrait.

Here darshan karo: biggrin.gif

Guru%20Tegh%20Bahudar%20Ji%20real%20pict

Bro, I cannot see the picture.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee fateh