Panjabi Vocabulary Builder Thread

dalsingh101

As mentioned in another thread I'm starting this post as a tool to help us develop our Panjabi vocabulary (those of us who need it like me!) What we'll do is post three words in Gurmukhi and people will have to establish their English meanings. Make it challenging folks!

I'll kick it off (gives me a good way to test my newly downloaded Gurmukhi unicode converting software too). Here goes:

ਅਧਿਐਨ

ਆਵੱਸ਼ਕ

ਸੁਤੰਤਰ

PS - N30, ever consider opening a new section dedicated to developing Panjabi/Gurmukhi knowledge/skills? Worth considering mate.

Edited by dalsingh101

Don't know if we should add having to write a Gurmukhi sentence including the word? See how it goes? What do you think?

Meanings are 'Analysis, necessary and independent'. Second word looks like a Hindi word.

When we talk about teaching Punjabi to new generation, there is another important distinction we have to make. Should it be modern Punjabi OR teaching should be targeted towards Punjabi from Guru's period?

Anybody who is fluent in modern Punjabi can't understand Gurbani without translation. If Punjabi is being taught for religious purpose, it must be focused on Punjabi of Guru's period. It will result in better understanding of Gurbani by new generation rather than becoming ritualistic without knowing essence of Sikhi.

Nice one LaalSingh! I had:

ਅਧਿਐਨ - Study, perusal, learning

ਆਵੱਸ਼ਕ - Necessary, essential

ਸੁਤੰਤਰ - Independent, free, unrestrained

In answer to your query, I think study of high level modern Panjabi can easily incorporate older 'sant-bhasha' words myself. Besides it has been proven that learning any two languages to an advanced degree, makes learning a 3rd or 4th (and more) easier. So if we learn both English and modern Panjabi simultaneously it should help us with learning the language of Maharaj ji as well. If we use older words from SGGS ji then I suggest we identify them as older words. We could also make effort to try and highlight those words in Guru ji that are still used in the modern version of the language too.

I'm still wondering if we should have to write sentences containing the words? I mean I don't expect everyone to jump on this thread, just the handful that are concerned with developing their linguistic knowledge. Maybe the sentence thing will be overkill and we should make it optional?

Anyway brother, the floor is yours, please choose 3 new words for us. Make them good! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

Don't all jump in at once my semi-literate pendu brethren........

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, brainboxes! Get engaged...lol

Here is one that got me stumped?

ਸ਼ਾਕਤਕ

Could you all show a bit more of this please!

ਤੀਬਰਤਾ

Is it unrealistic to suppose all Sikhs knowledge of Panjabi should be this?

ਵਿਆਪਕ

Those of you brothers who are leaving me hanging - I have to say - you're cold! lol

I may be way off mark but

ਸ਼ਾਕਤਕ

may possibly be 'Scythian' or 'Of Sakas'

??????

I may be way off mark but

ਸ਼ਾਕਤਕ

may possibly be 'Scythian' or 'Of Sakas'

??????

Okay, new contender for word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaktism

teebarta means harsher or stronger. (i know this from learning kirtan as you have "ma-teeber", meaning a harsher or stronger "ma".)

vayakti is person

viyapak means encompassing.or including.

How did i do dal singh ji?

Not bad for an opening attempt Chatanga veer!

Remember I'm new to all this too - but I had:

ਤੀਬਰਤਾ - Intensity, vehemence, sharpness. So you were on the right track!

ਵਿਆਪਕ - comprehensive, detailed, diffusive, pervasive, extensive, all embracing, widespread, rampant. Again, well done.

ਵ੍ਯਕਤੀ - I actually can't find a definition for this! Can anyone else confirm?

Edited by dalsingh101

frightening

Any solid basis for that or is it an educated guess?

Good to see you back btw.

frightening

You smashed it Singh! Thanks.

ਭੈ

SGGS Gurmukhi-English Dictionary

n. (from Sk.Bhaya) fear

SGGS Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.

English Translation

n.m. same as ਭੌ.

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia

ਸੰ. ਭਯ. {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਡਰ. ਖ਼ੌਫ਼. "ਭੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਭੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਚੰਦੁ". (ਵਾਰ ਆਸਾ)। (2) ਭਵ. ਸੰਸਾਰ. ਜਗਤ. "ਭੈਤ੍ਰਾਸ ਨਾਲ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਗੁਣਨਿਧਿ". (ਗੂਜ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੫) ਭਵਤ੍ਰਾਸਨਾਸ਼ਕ.

ਦਾਯਕ

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia

ਵਿ- ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ. "ਦੁਖ ਨਾਸਨ ਸੁਖ ਦਾਯਕ ਸੂਰਉ". (ਸਵੈਯੇ ਮਃ ੪. ਕੇ)। (2) {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਦਾਤਾ.

Have to say, just listening to katha alone helps immensly in building vocab. Plus, you get introduced to many words that have only recently fallen out of our Punjabi vocab. Thank You Gyani Tahkur SIngh Ji for all of those side stories/sakhis and general knowledge they add to their beautifull katha.

Okay Singh, give us another one.

Have to say, just listening to katha alone helps immensly in building vocab. Plus, you get introduced to many words that have only recently fallen out of our Punjabi vocab. Thank You Gyani Tahkur SIngh Ji for all of those side stories/sakhis and general knowledge they add to their beautifull katha.

Okay Singh, give us another one.

He is great isn't he. Yesterday I was talking to a seventh day adventist Christian and I found the source of a narrative he used in the Scottish katha about the end of days. Apparently it was the biblical story of Lot, where God offers to spare a town full of bad people if there was but one decent person there. Definitely the best parchaarak we've had in a while.

Anyway, you got the taste for this now huh? lol

Try this one from before:

ਵ੍ਯਕਤੀ

And this baffling beauty:

ਸ਼ਰੇਣਕ

(Does the sassa pair bindhi suggest a Persian etymology?)

Edited by dalsingh101

The letter you don't recognise I believe is a chopped . I have never noticed this letter until recent times and wasn't taught it in Panjabi classes as a kid. I'm guessing it's a softer Y sound. It does exist. Look at the last few letters in the third line down on this online keyboard if you're not convinced - http://www.punjabonline.com/servlet/library.dictionary?Action=Punjabi

And you are right in ਵਿਅਕਤੀ meaning a person or individual, and ਵ੍ਯਕਤੀ does indeed appear to be a possible variant spelling of this word, however, that interpretation doesn't seem to make too much sense within the context that I originally read the word. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? See for yourself in the attachment 1:

As for ਸ਼ਰੇਣਕ, here is the context of that word I encountered (attachment 2).

post-3203-127989796967_thumb.jpg

post-3203-12798979802_thumb.jpg

Edited by dalsingh101

So ਸ਼ਰੇਣਕ ਆਚਾਰ means organized/disciplined living?

Even though I can't establish the exact meaning of the word, you are in the right zone so to speak. The sentence basically speaks of how

"Bhai sahib doesn't wish for the warrior Sikhs to be depicted as finding sustenance through charity or the use of violence. Their xxxxxx behaviour doesn't give them permission on this point."

What word would fit in their?

Pure?

Exalted?

Higher?

Disciplined??

Although it isn't difficult to figure out what he is getting at; I would still like a solid definition of that word.

Edited by dalsingh101

Right, ਸ਼ਰੇਣੀ does mean category, so maybe the sentence in question goes like this:

"Bhai sahib doesn't wish for the warrior Sikhs to be depicted as obtaining sustenance through charity or the use of violence. Their [adopted] category of righteous behaviour doesn't permit them to [behave in this way]."

Another mystery solved! We need to get ourselves a Scooby Doo van!

Mystery+machine+cartoon+version.jpg

Edited by dalsingh101