Simple Guide for Sikhs to led a Gursikhi Lifestyle

A Simple Guide for Sikhs to led a Gursikhi Lifestyle !

Do's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do keep your hair unshorn, untrimmed, and unshaven.

Do get up early in the morning and recite Gurmantar and Nitnaym

Do read and recite Gurbaanee carefully, attentively, devotionally, and with proper understanding.

Do handle Gutkaa and Gurbaanee pothee respectfully and carefully.

Do greet fellow Sikhs with the greetings " Waheguru jee kaa khalsa, Waheguru jee kee Fateh."

Do always wear the five kakaars.

Do take Amrit from the Panj Piyaaray and become a true Sikh.

Do suffix Singh or Kaur after your name, refraining from the use of you caste or subcaste name.

Do be simple in you dress and eating habits.

Do be selective in your entertainment; cultivate interest in healthy sports and games and Sikh way of life.

Do respect your elders and senior Gursikhs.

Do go to Gurudwaaraa.

Do very respectfully bow to Guru Granth Saaheb.

Do cover your hair up to the forehead at all times.

Do sit respectfully in Gurdwaaraa Saaheb and listen to Gurbaanee-Keertan/Discourse attentively.

Do ask for the logic and rational behind any religious practice before doing it.

Don'ts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't ever shave, trim or remove your hair by any other method.

Don't ever consume tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or any other intoxicants.

Don't eat meat or eggs.

Don't ever indulge in lustful activities outside of wedded life.

Don't have any link or enter into relationships with renegade Sikhs like the Meenas (followers of Prithee Chand), Masands, Dhirmalias, Raam Raias, or anti-Panthic movements such as the Nirankaaris of Delhi, and other such movements which are break-away from the mainstream of the Khalsa Panth.

Do not dine in the same dish with a person who is not yet Ammritdhaari or is an apostate, if you have taken Ammrit yourself.

Do not break any vow taken at the Ammrit Ceremony.

Do not dye or pick out any hair, including white hairs.

Don't ever go out without your hair properly covered; it is a very sorry sight to see a Sikh, male or female, going out in the streets without covering his/her hair.

Do not take or expect money in return for you daughter's or son's hand in marriage.

Do not bow before any one as a spiritual guide except Sree Guru Granth Saaheb.

Do not worship idols, pictures, statues, stones, or graves.

Do not go to the Ganges or other rivers for taking holy baths; you may visit them as a matter of interest.

Do not keep fasts or even think of them as a matter of religious activity.

Do not enter into relationship with a Sikh who shaves, smokes, or commits infanticide.

Do not perform any ceremony which violates any of the Sikh principles.

Do not be superstitious; don't give any special sanctity to particular days on the month, like Sangraand, Pooran Maashi, Masiaa, Mondays or Wednesdays. According to the Sikh thought, all days are equally sacred.

Do not hold Sharaad, a superstitious Hindu belief that food given to pandits or Bhaa-ees will reach their dead ancestors in the other world.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: Do not bow before any one as a spiritual guide except Sree Guru Granth Saaheb.

so is it seen wrong to bow down as u put it or touch the feet of a holy or spiritual person who you know is an enlightened soul and at a significantly higher spiritual level than ourselves, For example Sants?

Quote: Do not bow before any one as a spiritual guide except Sree Guru Granth Saaheb.

so is it seen wrong to bow down as u put it or touch the feet of a holy or spiritual person who you know is an enlightened soul and at a significantly higher spiritual level than ourselves, For example Sants?

sants who are there to preach the word of the guru will always ask with behnti that no one tries to touch their feet

a fateh "waheguru ji ka khalsa -waheguru ji ki fateh" will do - they always ask that u great them this way - and any other sikh - not touching their feet

• 2 months later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Well wat abt elders,... i mean is it wrong if we touch the feet of our elders as a way of respect, i seen some people doin that, like if a girl gets married does she need to touch the feet of her inlaws as way of respect???? i always thought abt that,...is it wrong, right or proper for her to do that???????????????????? :? :? :? :shock: :?:

fateh

Fateh Ji

Well wat abt elders,... i mean is it wrong if we touch the feet of our elders as a way of respect, i seen some people doin that, like if a girl gets married does she need to touch the feet of her inlaws as way of respect???? i always thought abt that,...is it wrong, right or proper for her to do that????????????????????

I dont think there is anything wrong with that at all. It is really great if you do, respect. And for anyone who disagrees, touching the feet of elders or of mahapursh is totally different from when you bow down infront of guru ji.

Who thinks it is wrong to matha tekh your parents and why?

Fateh Ji

• 3 weeks later...

For me, as in a girl, im spose to only bow down to GGS Ji, my sorey (in-laws) and any "enlightened soul" eg. Sant.

Thats 4 girls.

But 4 guys they Muthtek mom dad and mom/dad - inlaws and enlightened souls.....

:):D