Towel Head

deepsingh

Why do you wear that towel on your head. So your brains don't fall out.

Some one said this to me at work. If it was funny maybe i would have smiled . But the joke makes no sense.

Unfortunately this is the only thing some Americans can come up with or go back to your country. Why do white americans claim that this country was founded on Christan values. Is this true. Are we not all foreign in the U.S except for the natives.

"Why do you wear that towel on your head. So your brains don't fall out."

Probably not so far from the truth. The akali dastaar boonga/dhummala was a fortress and a weapons store - serving the combined purpose of defence of the head (and brain) and attack (chakkar etc).

Maybe show your colleague some puratan pictures photos of Akali Nihangs. You should be able to find many in the pictures section of this forum.

Re the towel element, just explain that it's actually 9 yards long (or whatever size you wear), hardly a towel.

It doesn't matter what you tell these people, they will just continue babbling. You are always made to feel that you are not welcomed here. I don't want to guess what they will say, if i told them that a dastaar is weapons fortress, with all the airport security reasons.

But what i wanted to know was that did the founding fathers of america built the country on christen principles.

well .. hmmm... you can say "why dont you wear a towel on your head?" cos you got no brains to cover !

admin cut: threats are not allowed towards other.s you will get your first warning, there are three warnings total. Make sure you control your emotions before being carried away and make threats online. It will not be tolerated on this forum.

Here you go, know your rights:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-relig_ethnic.html

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Employment Discrimination Based on Religion, Ethnicity, or Country of Origin

Anger at those responsible for the tragic events of September 11 should not be misdirected against innocent individuals because of their religion, ethnicity, or country of origin. Employers and labor unions have a special role in guarding against unlawful workplace discrimination.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits workplace discrimination based on religion, national origin, race, color, or sex. At this time, employers and unions should be particularly sensitive to potential discrimination or harassment against individuals who are - or are perceived to be - Muslim, Arab, Afghani, Middle Eastern or South Asian (Pakistani, Indian, etc.).

The law's prohibitions include harassment or any other employment action based on any of the following:

Affiliation: Harassing or otherwise discriminating because an individual is affiliated with a particular religious or ethnic group. For example, harassing an individual because she is Arab or practices Islam, or paying an employee less because she is Middle Eastern.

Physical or cultural traits and clothing: Harassing or otherwise discriminating because of physical, cultural, or linguistic characteristics, such as accent or dress associated with a particular religion, ethnicity, or country of origin. For example, harassing a woman wearing a hijab (a body covering and/or head-scarf worn by some Muslims), or not hiring a man with a dark complexion and an accent believed to be Arab.

Perception: Harassing or otherwise discriminating because of the perception or belief that a person is a member of a particular racial, national origin, or religious group whether or not that perception is correct. For example, failing to hire an Hispanic person because the hiring official believed that he was from Pakistan, or harassing a Sikh man wearing a turban because the harasser thought he was Muslim.

Association: Harassing or otherwise discriminating because of an individual's association with a person or organization of a particular religion or ethnicity. For example, harassing an employee whose husband is from Afghanistan, or refusing to promote an employee because he attends a Mosque.

Harassment

Employers must provide a workplace that is free of harassment based on national origin, ethnicity, or religion. They may be liable not only for harassment by supervisors, but also by coworkers or by non-employees under their control. Employers should clearly communicate to all employees - through a written policy or other appropriate mechanism - that harassment such as ethnic slurs or other verbal or physical conduct directed toward any racial, ethnic, or religious group is prohibited and that employees must respect the rights of their coworkers. An employer also should have effective and clearly communicated policies and procedures for addressing complaints of harassment and should train managers on how to identify and respond effectively to harassment even in the absence of a complaint.

Religious Accommodation

Title VII requires an employer to reasonably accommodate the religious practices of an employee or prospective employee, unless doing so would create an undue hardship for the employer. Some reasonable religious accommodations that employers may be required to provide workers include leave for religious observances, time and/or place to pray, and ability to wear religious garb.

Filing a Charge

Anyone who believes that s/he has been subjected to discrimination in violation of Title VII may file a charge with the nearest field office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Persons who file a charge, oppose unlawful employment discrimination, participate in employment discrimination proceedings, or otherwise assert their rights under the laws enforced by the Commission are protected against retaliation. An EEOC charge must be filed within 180 days -- or 300 if the state has a fair employment practices agency -- of the date of the disputed conduct. Field offices are located throughout the United States. To be connected to the appropriate office, call 1-800-669-4000. EEOC's TTY number is 1-800-800-3302.

For more information go to National Origin Discrimination and Religious Discrimination.

See also:

Department of Justice Civil Rights Division National Origin Working Group Initiative to Combat Post-Terrorism Discrimination

FBI Civil Rights Program

amrikans are fools.. the real United States of America belong to Native Indians. Texas, New Mexico all belonged to Mexico.

They talk about freedom and liberty but they themselves conquerored and captured Natives

------------------------------------------------------------------

So now all "Amrikans" are fools! I recall they were your saviours against Iran back during your discussions with Singho and JM?

By the way, not to argue semantics but to suggest that the "real United States of America belong to Native Indians" doesn't make sense, since the "United States of America" was created by legal constitution not by the Native Aboriginals. I'm only highlighting this, since using the type of language you are spewing and thought-process you are elucidating will only cause someone in Deep Singh's shoes more trouble than help solve anything.

Shaheediyan, thanks for your post - as you suggest, it is best to be aware of one's rights rather than relying on quirky one-liner responses.

Sorry Veer Ji you don't make sense. I just watched a documentary about Abu Ghraib and to be honest, what America does in Iraq is a shame and it went there to liberate Iraqis. Is this liberation? Raping innocent women and even young girls? Forcing men to sodomize each other?

This is what America does when it liberates people. I don't want to ask what they'll do if they decide to attack an enemy. I pray they never attack Iran.

WB, the offensive comment by an ignoramus American is understandable, but an even more ill thought response in the form of advice on a sikh forum is extremely saddening.

No country on earth belongs to any race or group of people, it all belongs to Akaal Purkh.

WB, if you make a little effort to study history, you will find that no home on Earth has been created peacefully - human colonisation is an ancient process going back tens of thousands of years (if not longer).

The "Native" Americans migrated to the US via Russia - Alaska etc, and have been warring with other migrating tribes ever since.

Of course it is sad that by the time the Spanish, French and English arrived, a beautiful, unique and established culture was destroyed forever, in many cases, brutally.

But don't forget, your great ancestors also migrated to India via Central Asia, and were most likely war like tribes, and so would have established their rule in a similar fashion.

People forget that even where so called foreign invasion hasn't taken place, native tribes often have brutal and very cruel wars with each on a regular basis, the instinct to survive and increase territory is ni human nature, and is not just an evil born in the west.

Read up Ashoka's cruelty when defeating the many Kings of ancient India.

If your arguement stands, then you should invite some poor Tamils to Punjab, give them your home and migrate to Kazakhstan, apparently it's not as bad as some British comedians make out.

Serious note - don't drop to the level of numskulls.

Kavita Ji, please don't fall into the same trap and stereotype a whole nation. Of course there were some sad and unacceptable cases, but they are not representative, it's irresponsible of you to suggest that they are. Many soldiers are simply doing their job, and no army is free of sin.

Sorry Veer Ji you don't make sense. I just watched a documentary about Abu Ghraib and to be honest, what America does in Iraq is a shame and it went there to liberate Iraqis. Is this liberation? Raping innocent women and even young girls? Forcing men to sodomize each other?

This is what America does when it liberates people. I don't want to ask what they'll do if they decide to attack an enemy. I pray they never attack Iran.

Yes Kavita Ji. I know what happened in Abu Ghraib.. and the things they are doing in Guatanmo detention center is worse.

Here is what they do at Guantanmo bay detention center :

Newsweek Retracts Koran-Desecration Story

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

By Jane Roh

* E-MAIL STORY

* RESPOND TO EDITOR

* PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

NEW YORK — Newsweek on Monday retracted a story alleging interrogators at Guantanamo flushed the Koran down a toilet in front of detainees.

"Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Koran abuse at Guantanamo Bay," editor Mark Whitaker (search) said in statement released Monday evening.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156612,00.html

here is how americans use sex tactics at guantamno bay

"As she stood in front of him, she slowly started to unbutton her army blouse. She had on underneath the Army blouse a tight brown Army T-shirt, touched her breasts, and said, 'Don't you like these big American breasts?'" says Saar. "She wanted to create a barrier between this detainee and his faith, and if she could somehow sexually entice him, he would feel unclean in an Islamic way, he would not be able to pray and go before his God and gain that strength, so the next day, maybe he would be able to start cooperating, start talking to her."

But the prisoner wasn't talking, so Saar said the interrogator increased the pressure.

"She started to unbutton her pants and reached and put her hands in her pants and then started to circle around the detainee. And when she had her hands in her pants, apparently she used something to put what appeared to be menstrual blood on her hand, but in fact was ink," says Saar.

"When she circled around the detainee, she pulled out her hand, which was red, and said, 'I'm actually menstruating right now, and I'm touching you. Does that please your God? Does that please Allah?' And then he kind of got pent up and shied away from her, and she then took the ink and wiped it on his face, and said, 'How do you like that?'"

Then, the interrogator sent the prisoner back to his cell with a message.

"She said, 'Have fun trying to pray tonight while there's no water in your cell,' meaning that she was gonna have the water turned off in his cell, so that he then could not go back and become ritually clean. So he then therefore could not pray," says Saar.

"I know that the individual that we were talking that night was a bad individual. Someone who I hope never -- I hope he's in captivity forever, I hope he never goes anywhere. But I felt awful that night. I felt dirty and disgusting."

LOL funny !

As for Iraq,

Saddam burried 3 yearold kids alive in the ground

Anyone who raised voice against saddam was immediately and brutually torchered

Saddam had a human shredding machine, that would grind the human body into powders...

Saddam, used chemical weapons in iran-iraq war which damanged genetically so much population.

As for Iran,

The iran regime doesnt allow freedom to its people, He is building a nuclear bomb which he can later use to attack the world.

The iranian regime gives no right to women, executes people publically.

He is headed for replacement sure.

WB - Whats funny about humiliating someone, insulting their faith and taking away their human rights?

And please don't respond with your infantile "well look what they did blah blah" response, two wrongs don't make a right.

You seriously need to sort out your hatred, racism, prejudice and anger issues.

Try practicing some "Vaheguru" bol.

Abu Ghraib has been used as a reason for all types of nuts to attack the united states. FYI the people who tortured Iraqis there have been jailed. The West has its faults and it's share of racists but I would much rather live here than in some Islamic shythole like Iran. That Ahmed nut job guy in change of Iran has already said the wants Israel wiped off the map and arranged a seminar about what the world would be like without USA and Israel. If the USA and Israel wanted they could wipe Iran off the map with that's the difference between civilised people and janglis like the Iranians.

Veer Ji, nothing could be further from the truth. My mum and dad both speak Farsi and it is very clear that:

1. Ahmadinejad never called for Israel to wiped out. Rather that the political entity called Israel should be part of history. What he means, and he explained this many times is that the zionist regime should be replaced by a government that represents all communities not just Jews.

2. He did organise a conference and Jewish orthodox rabbis participated in it and prayed for president Ahmadinejad's success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GsdC_ZboeE

No country is ideal veer ji but there are lies and there are facts.

Maybe you should have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-m73iaP-bE&NR=1

Not all Americans support Bush!