Help: Story on Good Vs Evil.....

Hello all...

My friend is doing a talk to some school kids and wanted to tell a story about Good Vs Evil on Sikhi rather than Christianity.

Not being very educated on the subject, can some one help me out and forward me links to any articles or blogs in relation, or even tell me a story that could be told.

Thanks alot

perhaps instead of taking 'evil' literally, it can be expanded upon to explain concepts such agyantaa, bharam, vikaars, etc.

Yes thats what im thinking about, Is there any blogs or anything i can read up on... Any good stories that can be recommended that would make interesting for kids to listen and learn ?

Chhote Sahibzadey - although they were martyred, it was a victory because they kept their faith. I think there may even be animations on sikhnet.

Kodai Raksh, Sajjan Thug, The village of thugs, events leading up to the zafarnama etc. Maybe someone can post some here.

How about the struggle against mughal oppression starting from Guru Arjan Dev Ji's Shaheedi, upto Vaisakhi 1699 and beyond?

• 2 weeks later...

Satan is the personified version of Maya. Christianity failed to understand the Nirankar/Nirgun roop of God...they limited themselves to the Sargun roop hences the many references in their stories to the physical aspects of God, heaven, chariots, angels etc. God was taken as a part of Duality, hence the constant fight between God (good) and Devil (evil), While all the eastern traditions speak of God as something beyond the physical and duality in its purest form. God is not in a struggle, Man is with his ignorance which is the evil that needs to be defeated. Evil is not an external entity which influences us. It is our ignorance that is the cause of our suffering.

a very interesting post pheena. In my limited research on the Satan figure in semetic traditions i also came to the theory that he must be a allogerical figure of maya, a personofication of maya as you say, but then the question is, how is the stories of Satan in the bible and Quran to be understood? When Jesus as approached by satan and he scares him away it could be understood as Jesus was being tempted but he refused to go astray from the path, but what about the stories in the Quran where God commands all angels to kneel before Adam ,and satan refuses to, and is here by expelled ie?

i found this book on amazon, but as i live in europe i am not able to buy this book due to the country i live in ie, but it deals with satan as maya in sufism.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Satan-Eblis-Ja...3754&sr=8-2

Maya also exists in sargun roop. I've heard that when sikhs reach a certain avastha they will be tested by maya. There are sakhis of various sants being tested, which are all meant to be taken literally from what i understand. (see Baba Harnam Singh Rampur Khera's bio) .As maya came to them in sargun roop to test them.

maya is created by waheguru, and ultimately serves waheguru as a major character in this drama of life. we need maya to live, food, clothes, money, procreation, but at the same time on this marge we endeavor to remove attachment to maya from our mind.

a very interesting post pheena. In my limited research on the Satan figure in semetic traditions i also came to the theory that he must be a allogerical figure of maya, a personofication of maya as you say, but then the question is, how is the stories of Satan in the bible and Quran to be understood? When Jesus as approached by satan and he scares him away it could be understood as Jesus was being tempted but he refused to go astray from the path, but what about the stories in the Quran where God commands all angels to kneel before Adam ,and satan refuses to, and is here by expelled ie?

i found this book on amazon, but as i live in europe i am not able to buy this book due to the country i live in ie, but it deals with satan as maya in sufism.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Satan-Eblis-Ja...3754&sr=8-2

I think the description of the book explains it all, " In this book, Dr. Nurbakhsh, drawing from the writings of the great Sufi masters, presents both their favorable and unfavorable interpretations of Satan, who from the Sufi point of view does not exist as a power before God but as a symbol for the ego and its passions."

This comes back to just one question. Is Evil an external or internal problem? It cannot be both.

Again i think the physical expressions in trying to explain God/Devil are being used as a means to an end. Take for example the Devil has a Knee on which he should've kneeled, a leg and a physical body, therefore a mother from which he must've been born and a father. Unless ofcourse we are going to skip all this and move into the *poof* so there God created Lucifer.

The above leads to the great 'Problems of Evil'. If God created Satan ie: evil, then who is the real evil doer, God or Satan? Interpreting the above as a physical reality in which a Physical being named God and Satan exists will always lead to such absurd conclusion.

Since we are see ourselves as the physical body and our physical bodies create more physical bodies, we have created God/Devil/Angles in the same fashion to explain messages, just as a play maker will create characters and then create a Drama to express a message. We are holding on to the fingers but are failing to see where it is pointing.

Maya also exists in sargun roop. I've heard that when sikhs reach a certain avastha they will be tested by maya. There are sakhis of various sants being tested, which are all meant to be taken literally from what i understand. (see Baba Harnam Singh Rampur Khera's bio) .As maya came to them in sargun roop to test them.

maya is created by waheguru, and ultimately serves waheguru as a major character in this drama of life. we need maya to live, food, clothes, money, procreation, but at the same time on this marge we endeavor to remove attachment to maya from our mind.

What other forms of maya are there if not only Sargun?

I always thought that which can be seen and then unseen is the illusionary Maya.

Maya has three forms-

1. jar roop (house/cars/money/clothes things etc etc).

2. Asthol roop- maya in form of five elements (fellow human beings- wife, kids, parents, siblings, freinds, co-workers, maids/mistress etc etc)

3. Shauksham roop- maya which is unseen by asthol eyes but seen by shakhum sirar, example- as xylitol mentioned people who walk in pathway towards god get tested by shakshum maya whethere in form of ridhya sidhya/queens/kings of bhramloks/bhramands, vishay bhog anand in various puriyas(realms/sub realms).

hope that helps.