Theesra (3rd) Panth?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I sometimes hear Kathakars etc quote a line about Maharaj Ji starting the 3rd path i.e. Sikhi. It's along the lines of ".......Theesra Panth Chalaaya......"

Does anyone know where it's from?

Thanks!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. Sorry going mad

Tirath as always you are right!

Although it is not in the vaars of Bhai Gurdas Ji but is in the Vaar of Bhai Gurdas Singh which is regarded as the 41st Vaar

The Line is from Vaar 41 Pauri 16, line 19

"Ioun Teesar Panth Rachaiyan Vad Soor Guhela"

"In this way the guru who is without fear created the third path of the Khalsa"

Never dismiss the great Tirath Singh. He knows what he is on about! lol

Uggardanti has been discussed before. It is a bani from the Dasam Granth. It is not found in the Patna Sahib Bir thus we do not see it in the Sri Dasam Granth Birs todays. You can find the bani in the dasam granth saroops of old like the sukhmana sahib. it is written by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. You can buy it in Gutka form from Sri Bainee Sahib.

Here is a link to the bani and translation

http://www.sikh-heritage.co.uk/Scriptures/.../uggardanti.htm

Islam judaism christianity is one path they are essentialiy the same, people of the book. The indic/asiatic initiatory tradition is another path, but there is some overlap. Sikhi is part of the third path, which springs up in places when oppresion becomes overbearing. The light of gods name, burns with intensity to dispel the oppression, and then dies down. In my opinion the third path appears all throughout human history when darkness/ignorance becomes too strong. No doubt the third path will come again in more strength.

I disagree. Teesra panth is exactly that, and refers to a specific time in history, relating to a specific religious/cultural environment – and the words were used specifically for the Sikh tradition at the time of the 2 dominating religions/cultures – which were bringing no harmony, peace or spirituality to the people of South Asia.

It therefore doesn’t make sense to use Teesra panth in this metaphoric fashion, as other cases of oppression may not have been a matter of failure of religion (or its then practitioners) or a ‘3rd’ option by way of faith, path, culture, religion what have you. It may have been a 2nd or 4th option.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think some things should be left to relate what they were intended to relate to.