organ replacement in sikhi? is it forbidden?

just a quick query, i dont know if this has been discussed before.

What does sikhism say about using implants like organs of the body (ie, heart, lungs). There was medical research going on and medics say that a pigs heart or artery can be used, however, muslims/ jehovas witnesses disagree that organ replacement should be done. So whats our view on it?

i dont think im gonna be much help but i think its forbidden. in order to reach salvation you need your whole body to help you reach enlightenment. for example if u donate a heart or lung away u probably be reincarnated with diseases like asthma n similar diseases related to the heart.

Sikh saints(True Khalsa) wouldnt because they are lookin forward to the death.

Jis Maran Jhagat Daraie, Mera Mann Anand, Maran Hi paaie poormaanand(Bhagat Kabir) (SGGS)

The death that people afraid of, my mind is happy because death is the only way where you can get infinite peace of mind

Infinite peace of mind would be sachkhand...Thats what bhagat kabir is referring to. :D

neo singh i was thinking the same thing....altho its easy to say it now while im fine...but afta i take amrit.....if i was in a situation eg brain tumour where kesh had to be removed, i wudnt do it.....and if there was some life or death situation at that time i would hopefully embrace death..

for example if u donate a heart or lung away u probably be reincarnated with diseases like asthma n similar diseases related to the heart.

I think thats completly Incorrect. Sikhi actually stresses the fact that body is only a house for our soul, that is one day going to merge into waheguru ji. So to say that a missing Lung will mean asthma in next life , is something i don't agree with. What you do in this life is what count.

Have you heard that Shabad? "Dharam rai jab leka mange, kya mukh lai ke javenga"

The followings are line from thie above shabad.

"Pashu (Animal) mare sat kaaj savare, Manukh mare kuch kaam na ave

KEhat kabir Tab hi nar jagge, Jumm ka mund moor me bhake"

I think it means that when an animal dies you can do a lot with its body, Make leather etc, where as when a human dies you don't do anything with it. Kabir says" people only remember waheguru on their Death beds and forget them in daily life".

So the point is that, What you do with ur life is what counts , not how many organs are missing from ur body.

About Organ Replacement for ur body, Thats a tough one, Let me think :wink:

I think thats completly Incorrect. Sikhi actually stresses the fact that body is only a house for our soul, that is one day going to merge into waheguru ji. So to say that a missing Lung will mean asthma in next life , is something i don't agree with. What you do in this life is what count.

Have you heard that Shabad? "Dharam rai jab leka mange, kya mukh lai ke javenga"

The followings are line from thie above shabad.

"Pashu (Animal) mare sat kaaj savare, Manukh mare kuch kaam na ave

KEhat kabir Tab hi nar jagge, Jumm ka mund moor me bhake"

I think it means that when an animal dies you can do a lot with its body, Make leather etc, where as when a human dies you don't do anything with it. Kabir says" people only remember waheguru on their Death beds and forget them in daily life".

So the point is that, What you do with ur life is what counts , not how many organs are missing from ur body.

About Organ Replacement for ur body, Thats a tough one, Let me think :wink:

hanji..that is completly true..

i Belive that its da soul that meets Dharam Raj..not da body itself.....

or?

for example if u donate a heart or lung away u probably be reincarnated with diseases like asthma n similar diseases related to the heart.

DOnating a organ to sum1 else..is a Good deed..for sum1 else......life...who for instance hasn't naam jaapna during his lkife time..gets another change...

i mean ur givin another person another life.....*kinda :? *

I'm not sure..but DONTING i think is good deed...which accordingly gives credit in Dharam RAj's Court.....

but thats my opinion

lets hear what other ppl say

coz i may b wrong :o:)

// BHULLA CHUKKA MAAF!

wouldn't you be doing great seva if you donated a lung etc to a person in great need of it?

And yeh.. i thought that it was the soul that leaves the earth, not the body. guru sahib says in so many places that this body will eventually become dust.

bhul chukh maaf

wouldn't you be doing great seva if you donated a lung etc to a person in great need of it?

And yeh.. i thought that it was the soul that leaves the earth, not the body. guru sahib says in so many places that this body will eventually become dust.

bhul chukh maaf

hehe thanx

i had a bit difficulties expressing myself

but that was almost exscatly what i meant :D

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

I agree with this comment, for example if someone I knew needed a kidney or something and I was matched up, surely there is nothing wrong if I was to donate it...

By the way, if it is wrong to donate, is it the same for blood donation and bone-maroow donation??

Isnt accepting an organ a way of trying staying healthy???

Is it not a good idea to try to maintain good health and way of life?

Personally - I would accept an organ, and am on the Donor list for them to use all of me as 'spare parts'.

But yeh, interesting point... what does Sikhi say about this?

Does it mention anything on keeping good health?

it definately dusnt sey nethin bout organ replacement...coz..it wosnt actually discovered in those tyms..but if the guru's were alive now i think they would agree that organ replacement is not wrong. sikhism is a very logical religion..and the guru granth sahib ji was written so it applies to all people, from generation to generation. i bet if guru's were still alive, they would wear western clothes as they r much more pratical.....soz..went a bit off the topic :?