How to dress when a gursikh girl goes to the Gurdwara???

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Wsup guys?

I got a Question for u all... Pls try to answer it wid an open mind...

Is it necessary for all gursikhs to stay in Bana all the times?

I mean like at home, work, shopping, or Gurdwara?

Okay so the normal way a singhnee would dress to the Gurdwara would be, Suit, salwar and dupata. Is there nething wrong if your wearing a pajama kinda salwar??? I DONT think so...but wat do u ma sistaz and broz think? cuz today i went to the Gurdwara wearing a normal suit, dupata and Pajama kind salwar, and this GURSIKH man tells me to dress properly??!! :? :!: :shock: I think that was narrow minded comment from him, cuz noone else has told me such a thing cuz I do know how to dress appropriately and accordingly.

Okay so if ure amrtidari girl, does that mean u cant wear pants and long skirts or jeans? i understand that one shouldnt dress unappropriately, but wats wrong in wearing pants??? i dont think there is nething wrong wid it.. but wat abt u people???

And wats wrong wid wearing a pajama kinda salwar instead of the usual salwar??? I dont think nething is wrong!

So wat u people think??

ne comments? feel free to write em..but pls remember to be open minded...

Dhan Waheguroooooo!!!

Hey A Kaur ji,

Good Question. I think a female can answer better then male. anyway.. let me try ..no one should not have any problem as long as u are covering your self from neck to feet. it could be any dress but not tight. and in gurudwara... that person shouldn't have asked u like that.. "you should have asked him back.. Are u here to pray or to look on other peoples dress???" well i don't think if there is any thing wrong with pajam style salwar. Wearing jeans in gurudwara is totally wrong. So don't mind that guy?? Just a suggestion, Next time wear a normal kind of suit, so no one can point at you for nothing. ok. Rab Rakha.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

hmm... The majority of the time I go to the Gurdwara is in the week and I go wearing jeans and stuff and no one has ever said anything to me... It should not matter what you wear as long as you look respectable...

im a boy and a wear a hoodie and jeans to gurdwara .

if girls want to wear western clothes they can.

but eventually i will scrap my nike, evisu and adidas and just wear a chola, and we should all aim to do that.

personally i see no point dressing up in totally differnet clothes to what u wear normally, its just putting on a show. its alright to look neat tho.

bottom line - until ur a gurmukh, just wear whatever, providing its nothing tight or skimpy.

Hey ppl,

When we go to party, we dressed up our best. when we play some game then we dressed up the way of sports. when we go to work we dressed up the way are required there. So why we dont' care about gurudwara. Why can't we dressed up as it required there. Wearing jean and going to gurudwara is not wrong. But when there is sangat then jean are wrong, (I meant for females). Well, i should not say it wrong, cuz like khalsa ji said,"it does not matter as long we look respectable". But i just want to say, go with the flow. Just keep in mind one thing, if we can't wear jeans or casual to parties, then why at gurudwara????? Rab rakha.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

Hey ppl,

When we go to party, we dressed up our best. when we play some game then we dressed up the way of sports. when we go to work we dressed up the way are required there. So why we dont' care about gurudwara. Why can't we dressed up as it required there. Wearing jean and going to gurudwara is not wrong. But when there is sangat then jean are wrong, (I meant for females). Well, i should not say it wrong, cuz like khalsa ji said,"it does not matter as long we look respectable". But i just want to say, go with the flow. Just keep in mind one thing, if we can't wear jeans or casual to parties, then why at gurudwara????? Rab rakha.

I hear what you are saying but, we are going to Gurdwara Sahib to meet Guru Ji, if you feel comfortable going to Guru Ji however you are dressed then is that not good enough??

Ok, I agree that one must look respectable... But if we start saying one way of dressing is the correct way of looking when you go to the Gurdwara, will it not put people off? Whenever I am passing by a Gurdwara Sahib, I will go in whether I am in desi clothes, jeans or dressed for work...

You should wear proper dress that cover legs and possibly chuni(so it covers head), wash your hands and do namskar to sri guru granth sahib maharaj.

Its also called namaskar bhakti..Humble bow down to sggs..advantage its quite fruitful.. how would u know that?? wait until you die... dharamraj shall tell you.. hehehe :LOL::LOL:

Hey ppl,

CLOTHES: It is traditional to enter the Guru’s Court in one’s finest clothes. Guru Gobind Singh gave us bana, as a means of elevating our consciousness, and it is appropriate for us to wear full bana when entering Gurdwara, if this is possible. Kurta, churidas and cummerbund are traditional; white clothes are preferable to colors. If one is dressed for work, it is appropriate to come to Gurdwara in clean work clothes.

from this thread i found this very inspering

from Mr Truth Singh post :

Prepare yourself for Gurdwara just as you would if you were going to meet Guru Ram Das, or Guru Gobind Singh in person. Prepare yourself mentally – center your mind in meditation, let go of your mental distractions, and prepare to receive Guru’s Blessing.

im a boy and a wear a hoodie and jeans to gurdwara .

if girls want to wear western clothes they can.

but eventually i will scrap my nike, evisu and adidas and just wear a chola, and we should all aim to do that.

personally i see no point dressing up in totally differnet clothes to what u wear normally, its just putting on a show. its alright to look neat tho.

bottom line - until ur a gurmukh, just wear whatever, providing its nothing tight or skimpy.

I'm thinking of this subject through a liberal view and agree with Soulja paji. :)

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

hmm, I really don't think it matters how you go dressed aslong as you feel you look respectable enough infront of Guru... Its Guru Ji you are going to see, if aunty ji or uncle ji don't like what your wearing, then to be blunt, they are not there to see if you look respectable or not... Go however you feel right because people are always going to have a probem with anything and everything, just remember why you are going to the Gurdwara, forget the people there, your there for Guru Ji...

wear the same thing you would wear if guru gobind singh was at the gurdwara instead of guru granth sahib jee

whatever YOU are comfortable in, as long as it is respectful (shorts aren't cool for either gender) and you should try not to wear something overly revealing or flashy (for both genders) because it could distract sangat that's trying to concentrate...

there are no seperate rules for male and female, khalsa has no gender.

Shere ji - if those gals realise one day what SIkhi is - it will have more usser (effect) on them about their present life... therfore easier to change, but also harder too....

im just one confusing person!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Javanmard

Dress like a princess i.e. beauty style and class either Indian or western.

The Gurus' wives wore ghagra (like a lenga skirt) with a sari blouse. Some of the relics of these clothes still exist. Some of these tops were even backless. What so-called Gursikhs say about girls having to cover themselves from head to toe: I suggest these people should go and live in Saudi Arabia.