Why do men & women sit separately in the Gurdwara?

have u peepz noticed that females tend to sit on the left, while males on the right when comming into the gurdwara?? ?? But if the guru granth sahib was in the middle, there is not real left or real right.....!!! I think it would be cool to have a circular gurdwara, maybe i should build one! Everything would be circular, there are no corners, just unity, balance and no ends....

one

Yeah dat would b bad! It'll luk nice 2! + da Gurus' used 2 sit in a tent in da middle and da Gurus' followers used 2 sit around him. I bit like if Guru Granth Sahib was in da middle. It would b a bit like old skool days.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yo Khandeydhaar if you're genuine then theres not alot you can do, from experience it happens all the time, and its sick!

:evil:

Anyway about sitting on seperate sides, I noticed in india no one really sits on seperate sides (except in my pind gurdwara) and there was this new couple from india that started coming to our gurdwara in UK and for the first 3 weeks they sat together and had langar and I thought that was really sweet, then after that seeing everyone else they started sitting seperately. :cry:

I think in the olden days families used to go to Gurdware together instead of seperately and thats why they would want to sit together, but either way I would like to ask, why is it the stage is always on the men's side? I mean seriously, its in every Gurdwara. The one time the women started sitting on the other side in my Gurdwara, the granthi started making anouncements for them to move to the other side!!!!

Outrageous!

• 2 weeks later...

So for women and men to sit on opposite sides, that's just a tradition? its not in gurbani...so it was the 'people' who changed it right? ..if so, then why do we follow it, why cant we just sit wherever we want, and i agree with, Mugermach Singh. so..if we sit on opposite sides..isnt that being sexist? by havin women on this side and men on the other side?...if people changed it, for there own reason...isnt that wrong? shouldnt we have families sitting together? im sure thats how it was in guru jis times...aightt well thats my 2 cents...and N30 S!NGH..i think its right to question tradition..because i have my friends coming up to me, who arent sikhs..asking...why do the guys sit on one side and the grls sit on the other side...and then they ask, well i thought the guru granth shaib ji, talked about equality n stuff.....so yeah know, like i said im jus puttin in my 2 cents. personally i think its wrong to sit like that.

- Ok, well, ciao! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yo Khandeydhaar if you're genuine then theres not alot you can do, from experience it happens all the time, and its sick!

:evil:

I sometimes wish there was a big massive scary looking nihang in each darbar sahib scaring the pants off any potential perv, and the sad thing is, instead of telling the guys to stop, the Gurdwara lot just say "you just don't look at them".

Anyway about sitting on seperate sides, I noticed in india no one really sits on seperate sides (except in my pind gurdwara) and there was this new couple from india that started coming to our gurdwara in UK and for the first 3 weeks they sat together and had langar and I thought that was really sweet, then after that seeing everyone else they started sitting seperately. :cry:

I think in the olden days families used to go to Gurdware together instead of seperately and thats why they would want to sit together, but either way I would like to ask, why is it the stage is always on the men's side? I mean seriously, its in every Gurdwara. The one time the women started sitting on the other side in my Gurdwara, the granthi started making anouncements for them to move to the other side!!!!

Outrageous!

hey nihal sis, sorry to ask, but wat r u talkn abt? :? r u sure u were talkn to me above or jst put ma name in by accident. :? and do wat abt doin, wat? sorry ima bit lost now.

:? :? :? :? :? :?

yeah

i guess it is practice

thats why we have gurdwaras, and not mosques, thats why we have gurdwaras and not mandars...

Oh and another thing i can't quite remember the story so yeah sorry..

And also i would like to state that: The religion of sikhism is full of equality..

but u know whats not full of equality? The socalled punjabi culture..

and now thats where beings of the opposite gender get treated differently... soo saddd *sighh*

Khandeydhaar let me refresh your memory :wink:

"oh yea i agree wid N3O Singh abt 'Romeos'...cuz therez this guy at my gurdwara he keeps staring at me...its like if i go past him or am eatin langar and hes there, he's lookn...AHH its so damn scary...i dont know wat his prob is and hes monna and im like a dastar girl... wat should i do other than ignore... " :shock:

That what I was referring to. 8)

WJKK WJKF

When i go simran at my gurdwara, all males and females sit together. I,go to the gurdwara for Guru Ji but i have noticed majority of sikh males just checking the sikh gals out.

A disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WJKK WJKF

there's more than 25 million sikhs in the world, half of them are men and your saying a majority like checking out sikh gyals :roll: ?

So your sayingh that majority of men in all the gurdwaray inda world love checking out gyals? :?

your pathetic

majority da bacha

:evil: :x

theres a mix of people, not everyone has one thing on there mind, inless u do! :roll: (Khalsa Souljah.? u don't really live up to that name do u?, if u were a souljah maybe youll give me a decent post with proof)

and another thing in sikh history...most of the bhagats, religious people (whateva u wonna call them) majority were men......so majority of the relgious sikhs in our history have a lustful mind on sikh gyals? :x :? :?

please have something to back up your silly claims just becoz you went to a gurdwara one day and saw a bunch of lads looking at kuriyah that deosn't make majority of men bad

but if this is what u blindly think then carry on....

Guest Javanmard

Amrik Singh wrote:

there's more than 25 million sikhs in the world, half of them are men and your saying a majority like checking out sikh gyals

sorry to dissapoint you mate but the gender ratio in the SIkh community is 770 women for 1000 men, one of the worst gender imbalances in the world!!! Thanks to kurimar in all its modern avatars our community is eliminating our women :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

In any normal community there is always slightly more women then men just to tell you how sad things are :evil: :evil: :evil:

pyaare jio

what are we doing to womankind :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: