Devi Pargat By Guru Gobind Singh?

Kaljug

Fateh!

I've been reading Baba Santa Singh's commentary on Sarbloh Granth in his steek and listening to his katha on the same granth recently, and he makes the claim that Guru Gobind Singh did pargat of Chandi prior to the formation of the Khalsa Panth in order to bring about the destruction of Mughal rule. Baba Santa Singh mentions that this episode is related in Panth Prakash and Suraj Pratap Granth and goes as far as saying that Devi is the mother of the Khalsa.

Is this a belief held by all puraatan samparday?

Do you believe that there is any truth in the matter?

Incidentally, I would highly recommend Santa Singh's katha on Sarbloh Granth and his commentary in his steek. The description of Chandi shakti and the origins of the jungee Khalsa from the time of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's incarnation as Dusht Damun is amazingly deep.

Regards,

K.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji never pargat any devi-devta as per my understanding. Why would HE needs to pargat devi-devta. As per Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Bachatar Natak, GOD ordered Him to create a Khalsa panth and there is NO reason to pargat devi-devta. My understanding is that here Chandi is NOT refered to as Chandi Devi. In-fact Chandi is refered to as Sword.

Secondly, I remember one more issue where it is being said that Guru Gobind Singh Ji did pargat of Nena Devi. Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji (Rara Sahib Wale) once told the following Sakhi regarding Nena Devi.

The place where "Nena Devi" is situated actually belongs to Nena Jaat. There was a pandat named as "Ishav Das" who was proud of his knowledge. Guru Gobind Singh Ji asked pandat "Ishav Das" if it's possible to pargat some devta these days....he says yes, but a lot of things/samargre will be required. Guru Ji asked him to pargat devta and took the responsibility of providing him with the required samargre. After doing a lot of puja to pargat devte, no devta came and then Guru Ji asked ke what happened while returning from hunting with truck lot of animals/birds. To this pandat said ke "How devte will come as you're killing animals. To this Guru Ji asked if I do NOT hunt then will devte will pargat and pandat said yes. Guru Ji asked all dead animals to run and all birds to fly and it happened. Pandat again continued his things for some days with NO success. Now, again pandat said ke a bali/sacrifice of person having very pavitar/Sudh Maan is required. Pandat was thinking that he will ask for Guru Ji's son's bali and then Guru Ji will refuse and he will get a easy way out. To this Guru Ji said ke "You are the most pavitar so tomorrow we'll give your bali" and therefore the pandat ran during night. Now, Guru Ji throw all the remaining things in havan kund and it leads to big fireworks and people started saying that Devi came and renamed that place to Neena Devi because that belonged to Nena Jaat. In reality, no devi-devta came.

ਵੀ ਦੇਵਾ ਪੂਜੀਐ ਭਾਈ ਕਿਆ ਮਾਗਉ ਕਿਆ ਦੇਹਿ ॥ ਪਾਹਣੁ ਨੀਰਿ ਪਖਾਲੀਐ ਭਾਈ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਬੂਡਹਿ ਤੇਹਿ ॥ ੬॥ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਲਖੁ ਨ ਲਖੀਐ ਭਾਈ ਜਗੁ ਬੂਡੈ ਪਤਿ ਖੋਇ ॥ ਮੇਰੇ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਹਾਥਿ ਵਡਾਈਆ ਭਾਈ ਜੈ ਭਾਵੈ ਤੈ ਦੇਇ ॥ ੭॥ {ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ, ਪੰਨਾ ੬੩੭}

ਭਰਮੇ ਸੁਰਿ ਨਰ ਦੇਵੀ ਦੇਵਾ ॥ {ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ, ਪੰਨਾ ੨੫੮}

ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਨੀ ॥ ੪॥ {ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ, ਪੰਨਾ ੮੭੪}

Devi is daasri/sewak of Guru Gobind Singh ji , she wanted to do seva, thus she manifested herself in the form of swords and weapons with Guru ji's agya.

Absolutely. One should read below

ਦੇਵ ਭੇਵ ਨ ਜਾਨਈ ਜਿਹ ਬੇਦ ਅਉਰ ਕਤੇਬ ॥:

Dev bhev na jaanayee jih beda or kateb:

The mystery of God is unknown to any demigod and it is also indescribable by the scriptures -- Vedas, Qran, Bible, and all others

(Guru Gobind Singh Jee, Jaap Sahib )

ਚਰਨ ਸਰਨਿ ਜਿਹ ਬਸਤ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥

चरन सरनि जिह बसत भवानी ॥

The goddess Durga takes refuge at His Feet .

akal ustat, dasam granth

ਕਹੂੰ ਦੇਵਬਾਨੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਸਾਰਦਾ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਮੰਗਲਾ ਮ੍ਰਿੜਾਨੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਸਿਆਮ ਕਹੂੰ ਸੇਤ ਹੋ ॥

Somewhere Thou art the divine speech, somewhere Sarada and Bhavani, somewhere Durga, the trampler of corpses, somewhere in black colour and somewhere in white colour.

ਕਹੂੰ ਧਰਮ ਪਾਮੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਸਰਬ ਠਉਰ ਗਾਮੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਜਤੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਕਾਮੀ ਕਹੂੰ ਦੇਤ ਕਹੂੰ ਲੇਤ ਹੋ ॥

Somewhere Thou art abode of Dharma (righteousness), somewhere All-Pervading, somewhere a celibate, somewhere a lustful person, somewhere a donor and somewhere a taker.

ਕਹੂੰ ਬੇਦ ਰੀਤ ਕਹੂੰ ਤਾ ਸਿਉ ਬਿਪਰੀਤ ਕਹੂੰ ਤ੍ਰਿਗੁਨ ਅਤੀਤ ਕਹੂੰ ਸੁਰਗੁਨ ਸਮੇਤ ਹੋ ॥੪॥੧੪॥

Somewhere Thou workest in accordance with Vedic rites, and somewhere Thou art quite opposed to it; somewhere Thou art without three modes of maya and somewhere Thou hast all gldly attributes.4.14.

akal ustat, dasam granth

Edited by singh2

Chandi episode is a very lengthy one in Markandey puranas. Guru sahib has taken only eight chapters out of 130+ chapters and then rewrote those to adapt to sikh philosophy. First four chapters in original puranas were dedicated to praise of Durga. Guru ji completely left those out.

It is a very big mistake if any sikh says that Guru sahib rvered Durga or any otehr demigod.

Durga/Chandi is also the feminine energy of God. Ragmaala mentioned that Chandi is the sword, this is also true. Guru Ji also refered to the sword as a Pir or Guru, hence why Guru Gobind Singh Ji does namaskar to Chandi. Chandi is also refered to the panthra which is very feminine but is powerful in grace.

Edited by Mystical

Durga/Chandi is also the feminine energy of God. Ragmaala mentioned that Chandi is the sword, this is also true. Guru Ji also refered to the sword as a Pir or Guru, hence why Guru Gobind Singh Ji does namaskar to Chandi. Chandi is also refered to the panthra which is very feminine but is powerful in grace.

Very interesting.

Yes listen to kamalroop singh lecture on shakti and shakta.

Fateh!

Neo Singh:

Where can I find this online?

The story is that it was Dusht Daman who destroyed countless number of daint when Durga needed aid during the war between the asuras and the devas. In return, Dirga/Chandi offered her service when Dusht Damun was born in Kaljug in the form of Guru Gobind Singh, so in this respect Chandi was indeed Guru's sevak. The lion-like spirits who battled the asuras were born again as jungee Khalsa in Dasmesh Pita's armies.

I will take a closer look on the weekend and report back unless someone else does the seva of translation before then.

Regards,

K.

Fateh!

Neo Singh:

The story is that it was Dusht Daman who destroyed countless number of daint when Durga needed aid during the war between the asuras and the devas. In return, Dirga/Chandi offered her service when Dusht Damun was born in Kaljug in the form of Guru Gobind Singh, so in this respect Chandi was indeed Guru's sevak. The lion-like spirits who battled the asuras were born again as jungee Khalsa in Dasmesh Pita's armies.

I will take a closer look on the weekend and report back unless someone else does the seva of translation before then.

Regards,

K.

Shakti of akal purakh is akal purakh himself. In akal ustat Guru sahib has described that shakti

ਖਤ੍ਰਿਆਣ ਖਤੰਗੀ ਅਭੈ ਅਭੰਗੀ ਆਦਿ ਅਨੰਗੀ ਅਗਾਧਿ ਗਤੇ ॥

खत्रिआण खतंगी अभै अभंगी आदि अनंगी अगाधि गते ॥

O Destroyer of Kshatriyas! Thou art Fearless, Unassailable, Primal, body-less, the Deity of Unfathomable Glory.

ਬ੍ਰਿੜਲਾਛ ਬਿਹੰਡਣਿ ਚੱਛਰ ਦੰਡਣਿ ਤੇਜ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡਣਿ ਆਦਿ ਬ੍ਰਿਤੇ ॥

ब्रिड़लाछ बिहंडणि च्छर दंडणि तेज प्रचंडणि आदि ब्रिते ॥

Thou art the Primal Power, the killer of the demon bridal and Punisher of the demon Chichhar, and intensely Glorious.

ਸੁਰ ਨਰ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਿਣ ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਿਣ ਦੁਸਟ ਨਿਵਾਰਿਣ ਦੋਖ ਹਰੇ ॥

सुर नर प्रतिपारिण पतित उधारिण दुसट निवारिण दोख हरे ॥

Thou art the Sustainer of gods and men, Saviour of sinners, vanquisher of tyrants and destroyer of blemishes.

ਜੈ ਜੈ ਹੋਸੀ ਮਹਿਖਾਸੁਰ ਮਰਦਨਿ ਬਿਸ੍ਵ ਬਿਧੁੰਸਨਿ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰੇ ॥੧੫॥੨੨੫॥

जै जै होसी महिखासुर मरदनि बिस्व बिधुंसनि स्रिसटि करे ॥१५॥२२५॥

Hail, hail, O slayer of Mahishasura! Thou art the Destroyer of the universe and Creator of the world. 15.225.

I would much rather place reliance on the writings of Bhai Vir Singh than on Santa Singh and his views. The Devi worship episode is discussed in this paper and Bhai Vir Singh's analysis of how the story came about.

http://www.globalsikhstudies.net/pdf/Funda...SikhStudies.pdf

scroll down to page 170

Singh2 please no rants about this being from a anti-dasam granth site. Either read the paper or not.

Dirga/Chandi offered her service when Dusht Damun was born in Kaljug in the form of Guru Gobind Singh, so in this respect Chandi was indeed Guru's sevak.

Now dasmesh pita is dust daman reborn?

I would much rather place reliance on the writings of Bhai Vir Singh than on Santa Singh and his views. The Devi worship episode is discussed in this paper and Bhai Vir Singh's analysis of how the story came about.

http://www.globalsikhstudies.net/pdf/Funda...SikhStudies.pdf

scroll down to page 170

Singh2 please no rants about this being from a anti-dasam granth site. Either read the paper or not.

Tonyhp

You really do not need to tell me that. Read dasam granth and you will know. Do not rely on a heretic site whose owner does not know head and tale about Dasam bani and is a confirmed liar exposed by us on another site. if you need proof i will give refrence here.

This story of dusht daman is not from Dasam granth. It is from Surja parkash. So to link it to Dasam granth shows lack of scholarship.

Owner of this site is the one who has misled people on dasam Granth by maintaining this site for a long time. Any site that spews venom about Dasam granth is anti sikh site as well.

Edited by singh2

Now dasmesh pita is dust daman reborn?

That's the legend.

Fateh!

So I had a closer read of Dasam Granth, and singh2 is right - there is no mention of Guru Gobind Singh that I can find referring to himself as Dusht Damun. The panktis about Dasmeh Pita's previous incarnation, during which Guru ji meditated on Hemkunt, van be found here:

http://www.sridasam.org/dasam?Action=Page&p=132

It seems like story of Guru Tegh Bahadur being the Rishi (Samaundh Rishi) who Devi came to for help and Guru Gobind Singh being the shakti, Dusht Daman, comes from a different source. There are various versions of the story related here:

http://sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Dusht_Daman...er_of_The_Evil)

So, does the sakhi which melds the story of Dusht Damun with Dasmesh Pita's previous form as related in Bachittar Natak only occur in Suraj Prakash as singh2 says? Is there another source for this story? Is the story accepted by any other puraatan samaparday apart from the Nihangs?

Regards,

K.

Fateh!

I've been reading Baba Santa Singh's commentary on Sarbloh Granth in his steek and listening to his katha on the same granth recently, and he makes the claim that Guru Gobind Singh did pargat of Chandi prior to the formation of the Khalsa Panth in order to bring about the destruction of Mughal rule. Baba Santa Singh mentions that this episode is related in Panth Prakash and Suraj Pratap Granth and goes as far as saying that Devi is the mother of the Khalsa.

Kaljug can you post a link, or a scan of the page regarding Baba Santa Singh's commentary on Satguru Gobind Singh and Chandi Mata?

Guru Sahib writes in Bachitra natak his belief in akal purakh only. In view of this it is wrong to link him to any devi.

ਭਜੋਂ ਸੁ ਏਕ ਨਾਮਯੰ ॥ ਜੁ ਕਾਮ ਸਰਬ ਠਾਮਯੰ ॥

भजों सु एक नामयं ॥ जु काम सरब ठामयं ॥

I recite only the Name of the Lord, which is useful at all places.

ਨ ਜਾਪ ਆਨ ਕੋ ਜਪੋ ॥ ਨ ਅਉਰ ਥਾਪਨਾ ਥਪੋ ॥੩੭॥

न जाप आन को जपो ॥ न अउर थापना थपो ॥३७॥

I do not meditate on anyone else, nor do I seek assistance from any other quarter.37.

ਬਿਅੰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਧਿਆਇ ਹੋਂ ॥ ਪਰਮ ਜੋਤਿ ਪਾਇ ਹੋਂ ॥

बिअंति नाम धिआइ हों ॥ परम जोति पाइ हों ॥

I recite His infinite Name and attain the Supreme light.

ਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਆਨ ਕੋ ਧਰੋਂ ॥ ਨ ਨਾਮ ਆਨਿ ਉਚਰੋਂ ॥੩੮॥

न धिआन आन को धरों ॥ न नाम आनि उचरों ॥३८॥

I do not meditate on anyone else, nor do I repeat the Name of anyone else.38.

ਤਵਿਕ ਨਾਮ ਰਤਿਯੰ ॥ ਨ ਆਨ ਮਾਨ ਮਤਿਯੰ ॥

तविक नाम रतियं ॥ न आन मान मतियं ॥

I am absorbed only in the Name of the Lord, and honour none devi/devtas.

ਪਰਮ ਧਿਆਨ ਧਾਰੀਯੰ ॥ ਅਨੰਤ ਪਾਪ ਟਾਰੀਯੰ ॥੩੯॥

परम धिआन धारीयं ॥ अनंत पाप टारीयं ॥३९॥

By meditating on the Supreme, I am absolved of infinite sins.39.

ਤੁਮੇਵ ਰੂਪ ਰਾਚਿਯੰ ॥ ਨ ਆਨ ਦਾਨ ਮਾਚਿਯੰ ॥

तुमेव रूप राचियं ॥ न आन दान माचियं ॥

I am absorbed only in His Sight, and do not attend to any other charitable action.

ਤਵਿਕ ਨਾਮ ਉਚਾਰਿਯੰ ॥ ਅਨੰਤ ਦੂਖ ਟਾਰਿਯੰ ॥੪੦॥

तविक नाम उचारियं ॥ अनंत दूख टारियं ॥४०॥

By uttering only His Name, I am absolved of infinite sorrows.40

Bacjitra natak , Dasam granth sahib

Author of suraj parkash has written some anti gurmat stories in that granth. Bhai veer singh ji spent 14 years to study that granth and has commented on anti gurmat points in footnotes. So we should take from that Granth what is per Guru sahib's philosophy in Dasam granth.

Edited by singh2

• 3 months later...

Fateh!

Incidentally, I would highly recommend Santa Singh's katha on Sarbloh Granth and his commentary in his steek. The description of Chandi shakti and the origins of the jungee Khalsa from the time of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's incarnation as Dusht Damun is amazingly deep.

Regards,

K.

can you please provide the name of the audio file where baba ji explains this?

also can you please provide the page numbers on the sarbloh steek where baba ji speaks about this?

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Fateh!

Regards,

K.

Santa Singh, is he the leader of the Nihungs in India? Is he the guy who re-built the Akaal Takht with Indira Ghandi?

Vaheguru, Allah, whatever you want to call the almighty, does not have a gender, hence cannot have "Feminie" energy. I am confident you know the Mool Mantra.

Manifested roop is different, but even then, energy does not have a gender, like the soul doesn't have a gender, so how can energy have a gender?

Please explain this further.

Fateh!

Neo Singh:

Regards,

K.

I have read somewhere that Dust Daman was created by a Brahmin.

That's the legend.

Fateh!

So I had a closer read of Dasam Granth, and singh2 is right - there is no mention of Guru Gobind Singh that I can find referring to himself as Dusht Damun. The panktis about Dasmeh Pita's previous incarnation, during which Guru ji meditated on Hemkunt, van be found here:

http://www.sridasam.org/dasam?Action=Page&p=132

It seems like story of Guru Tegh Bahadur being the Rishi (Samaundh Rishi) who Devi came to for help and Guru Gobind Singh being the shakti, Dusht Daman, comes from a different source. There are various versions of the story related here:

http://sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Dusht_Daman...er_of_The_Evil)

So, does the sakhi which melds the story of Dusht Damun with Dasmesh Pita's previous form as related in Bachittar Natak only occur in Suraj Prakash as singh2 says? Is there another source for this story? Is the story accepted by any other puraatan samaparday apart from the Nihangs?

Regards,

K.

Maybe there is no "source" and it is a story created to project SatGuru Gobind Singh Ji as a creation of a brahmin, i.e. product of Hinduism.

But could be wrong, there are more learned people here who know the truth better than me

the member free radical dunno the slightist thing about sikhism and what he has written is complete rubbish.

Great topic my views are thus:-

In recent times i doubt there was a greater scholar than Baba Santa Singh, particularly of Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji's sacred writings

and i would agree with him that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj did pargat of devi. The reason is thus; chandi is a sevadaar of the khalsa Panth - she used to sweep up in the house of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and recieve blessings which she would then pass on to her followers.(Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth)

Durga is the Godess of Dharam Yudh and only as per maryada did Guru Ji pargat Devi and tell her to shower her blessings over the khalsa Panth so that it may be victorious. The same event occured in mahabharat just before the final dharam yudh by the pandavas, Krishna instructed Arjuna to seek the blessing of chandi so that there dharam yudh may not fail. When chandi appeared she said that her blessing was not neccessary as krishna himself has all the blessings within him since he is righteous and the yug avtar. Krishna only told Arjuna to do this as per maryada of a warrior before war to acknowledge the godess of war(shatree maryada).

It is God who created Durga and gave her the duty of instigating righteous wars this is the ultimate reality, but Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj has only acknowledged her and has taken courtesy towards her. Its exactly the same as Raagmala Guru Maharaaj used Raags in the formation of Adi Guru Granth Sahib and at the end wrote raagmala so as to show courtesy towards them otherwise they would have been akirtghan. The Gurus used Raags and showed respect towards them this is not wrong in any way.

Upon Avtaar of Sri Gur

the member free radical dunno the slightist thing about sikhism and what he has written is complete rubbish.

Guru Sahib had no need to get the devi's blessings. Do you know who Guru Sahib is?

From the puratan sampardas, only Baba Santa Singh Ji believed this - and even that is not definite because they were simply translating a text that mentions this.

In Sri Dasam Granth, Guru Ji repeatedly says that they only bow to and seek the blessings of Akaal Purakh and nobody else. Even that was their nimrata, in reality there was no difference between them.

Guru Rakha.

Another thing. How comes faujan of quoms who have nothing to do with the 'goddess of war' have better fighters/soldiers than those that make serious efforts to satiate her?