>--- KIRTAN --->

Hello all.

I have no idea what impression i have givven about myself on this forum... but each and every single one of you bare a flame and when all the flames in all of you come together we gut a MAD spark and the inspiration on this site is excellt...!

Anywayz... Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa... Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh...

To all Ma biga and liccle bravaz and sistaz....

If any of you do Kirtan.... just want to know... how did you learn. Did you just learn a shabad and then just learnt ore is there a technique?????

Fateh.

fateh kaur ji!! :LOL:

i have been learning keertan since i was 5 years old, and i started off learning the shabad "ucha der babe nanak da" :):LOL: (awesome shabad :P )

i kept developing that one shabad for almost a year. then i learnt a nice simple tune for the shabad "rehanee rahe soi sikh mera...." just those 2 shabads took almost 2 years to perfect.

in the process of learning both shabad, i was developing my avaaj (voice) to match the notes too!!

after which i started playing raags. my first raag was bhupali raag. i remember this, cuz i played that raag at my first keerten competition :D

its all about practice. u need a lot a rehaas to do professional kertan. but sum ppl are just bless with the kirpa, and are naturally gifted with a magical voice!! :wink: :LOL: :wink:

1 year? 2 year? - thats ages........!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I just thought u had to hold a note to the tune..... :shock:

eeekkkk..... :!:

I heard some of Giani Amolak SIngh Ji's kirtan - and it is WICKED....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thnx 4 the insite penji.

Fateh. :wink:

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

I heard some of Giani Amolak SIngh Ji's kirtan - and it is WICKED....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Giani Ji does amazing kirtan... :D

wjkk,wjkf.

i just take tunes out from tapes / cd's / mp3's.

Giani Amolak SIngh Ji's kirtan is out of this world; especially his old stuff; he's mellowed out though over the years. Dharam Singh Zakhmi is another truely amazing raagi.

but sum ppl are just bless with the kirpa, and are naturally gifted with a magical voice!!

this is very true; when i started i felt out of place because my voice isn't all that, but i just sing with my heart. thats the most important thing paanji! :)

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

i lernt classical music(sitar and vocal) since i wos 7..dis rele helped me....i now i jus listen 2 shabads and take dem out myself....i add a bit of my own style..but that dusnt always wrk..

and kaur at guru's feet, i agree that singin frm ur heart is the best thing..if ur singin 4 urself..but i dnt think thats true @rhensbai's an kirtans..if u want otha ppl 2 listen 2 u sing...and listen 2 the wrds....u hav 2 sing sweetly...thats how the gurus did it.

thats y i neva sing infront of ppl..unless i'm forced 2(dis aint rite either) ..I AM NT WORTHY

wjkk,wjkf

dearest darshan paanji,

i understand where u're comin from & to an extent it is true. BUT u've forgotten a key element 'piaar'; kirtan isn't exclusive to those with extrodinary voices. im not saying don't try to improve you voice & forget about singing in tune; these things are important but they don't outweigh the need for devotion & sincerety.

doing kirtan is an extremely personal, individual thing. we should not compare ourselves to ppl who are many steps ahead of us & become discouraged, after all we all have to start somewhere. :wink:

do ardas & just take it at your own pace

(remember you won't be frowned upon for making mistakes, but smiled at for making an effort & trying your best.)

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

i started learning kirtan when i was about 5/6 - at first i got taught by someone who you might know - Bhai Manjit singh from Uk - after a while you just kinda pick up tunes.

but it's real worth it - there's always a feeling of SachKhand when you do Kirtan :D

i started doing keertan when i was 3.... as far as now goes....ihear tunes from tapes and cd's and the like, and make my own tunes up (sommmmetimes....not very good at it..)

bhainjee, don't forget we're all different...i hope this doesn't come off as gloating, but it only took me about a month to learn my first full shabad.. when i started out, i was only doing the last two lines of "visar naahee dataar apna naam deho"... it's not hard bhainjee....it just takes practise...sit at the vaaja, and pump the hell outta it:D hahaha but i mean just sit and it'll come. it always does...for everyone... ask anybody who had doubts, and when they sat at the vaaja, something always works....i dunno if we know this, but i feel we're all given the gift to do keertan, as long as we accept we have to do some work for it

anyways bhainjee...just sit at the vaaja, and go at it...it'll come, i guarantee it!

Gurfateh

According to my mum, I was actually born with a sarangi in my hands playing alaap of Raag Malkauns...just started their I guess...my teacher was Amir Khusrou, who lives in Pudsey. He taught me for about 2 weeks, and after that I started my own gharana, 'jaitee gharana'.

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

WJKK WJKF

Hi all,

Kirtan is great fun and it brings me peace. But its all about focus. Sant Baba Ishar Singh Ji said that Kirtan is a form of Bhagti (kirtan Bhagti).

Me and my brother was encouraged and we also learned kirtan from Sant Baba Sant Partap Singh Ji Rara Sahib wale. Then they gave us encouragement to learn further from others people with more knowledge.

All u need to do is go to your local Gurdwara and see if they hold kirtan lessons. I would suggest this would be the first form of contact.

Don't be scared just go for it. U will enjoy it trust me.

Jazz Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Bhainji,

I started learning keertan when i was 7 years old at Dixie Gurudwara in T.O. Canada. I HATED going as i had just moved to the area and i didnt know anyone. I thought keertan was a waste of time and i NEVER practiced at home. My teacher would lecture me about not practicing but i never understood. (she like a mum to me now.) As the years went on i went for one reason and one reason only: Friends! We only did keertan when we were together and i only went casue i knew i would be able to talk to them and get the lastest gossip and compare our suits! I hated doing keertan on stage and i HATED competitions. My mum was determined to have us (my sis and I) learn keertan and get something out of it. So i kept on learning, same teacher same gurudwara. I can't tell you when it happened as it was not a sudden realization but i learned to love keertan. I can say that it is the one of the things that kept me coming to the gurudwara even when i was a MESSED child.

It is a passion that is hard to avoid no matter what i am doing. Guru dee kirpa naal i try to listen to keertan only and sing it too when i go about my daily life. I recommend learning keertan no matter how long it takes or how frustrating it is. It is something that has helped me feel at home at the gurudwaras. I sing along with anybody who goes on stage and somethimes i might get a stare or two but its all good. Just remember that no matter how good you get, you're doing keertan for Guru Ji. We should NOT do keertan because we think we are the best keertanees in the world. and as much as i reccommend learning keertan i do NOT reccommend going to raag keertan competitions or putting your kids in them. These things are HUGE haumay-boosters!

Personally its a GREAT stress-reliever and a great tool when you want to avoid doing chores. When sitting at the Vaajaa one can express their emotions through the surs and Guru Ji will uderstand. The best way to practice is by yourself or with your ustaad NOT infront of your parents/siblings/friends.

I hope that helps bhainji, i encourage you to learn as well as anyone else who is contemplating learning!

lol - don't worry darshan penji, i'll make sure he doesn't remember you as "the weird girl from down south" :D

i'm real lucky to live near him and get taught by him sometimes. i just like his style of kirtan - though now he's bullied me into playing the violin along with his shabads!!! :oops:

ok..off topic :)

K4ur ji, if you're talkin about Bhai Manjit singh ji think u can get his kirtan off quite a few sites...if you're not then :oops:

here are a couple:

www.ikirtan.com

www.kirtan.net

www.sikhnet.com/Gurbani

www.sikhnation.com/kirtan/msglasgow.html

hope this helps :)

Yeah i wus onbout that 1 SImran - thanjuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Pritam - erm... duno how 2 say dis ... but erm... WOWWWWW!!!!!!

Errr, They r gona go straight to God..... and they have had Darshan of so MANY Sants....

wowwwww Pritam.... pleez tell me more...