I have a question for all.....

I am beginning to feel that as a sikh I have no worth as every where I go to find sikhs, I am belittled for I have cut my hair and do not follow the 5 K's...

People judge me before they talk to me or discuss with me. I do my paath, know my Jap ji Sahib by heart, do kirtan, Meditate on God's name everyday, yet people make me feel that I am not a sikh....

The reason that I do not follow the 5 k's is that I don't feel that at this point in life I am absolutely going to be able to follow it as being a female my marriage will be arranged and I don't know who I will marry, what his beliefs will be, and also going to school and trying to juggle two jobs....I am unable to give God my 100% in that category...does this still make me not a sikh...

When I feel that I am settled and can devote myself to God more readily I will do it, until then I have soceital relations to follow up with...Was it not Guru Nanak Dev Ji who said that there is a time and place for all stages of life...

Then why do people judge me...

I have faith and shraddha in every part of my soul for God... why am I not sikh then.... :(

i my self for cutting my hair have realised i'm not a sikh...

but ne waysoh vakhri gal ah

many ppl goto school and are amritdhari, i think it will actually improve ur performance...

and the marriage part, if u r a sikh, obviously ur parents will find u a sikh munda, they love u and wont throw u into a house where sikhi is not staple if u r on that path....

just my 2 cents panneh

take care :D

I appreciate your reply Gabroo ji....thanx

My thing is though, that I'm not ready yet, I don't feel it's my time at the moment,

But does that make me any less of sikh???

even if I do much more that what the norm does as far as sewa, respect, and other things that sikhs r supposed to do....

I am beginning to feel that as a sikh I have no worth as every where I go to find sikhs, I am belittled for I have cut my hair and do not follow the 5 K's...

People judge me before they talk to me or discuss with me. I do my paath, know my Jap ji Sahib by heart, do kirtan, Meditate on God's name everyday, yet people make me feel that I am not a sikh....

The reason that I do not follow the 5 k's is that I don't feel that at this point in life I am absolutely going to be able to follow it as being a female my marriage will be arranged and I don't know who I will marry, what his beliefs will be, and also going to school and trying to juggle two jobs....I am unable to give God my 100% in that category...does this still make me not a sikh...

When I feel that I am settled and can devote myself to God more readily I will do it, until then I have soceital relations to follow up with...Was it not Guru Nanak Dev Ji who said that there is a time and place for all stages of life...

Then why do people judge me...

I have faith and shraddha in every part of my soul for God... why am I not sikh then.... :(

WJKK WJKF

Bhain Ji

first of ALl I tihnk

it is very Good

that even though You are not in Bana you still keep tight to Bani

hm

when people say that your not a Sikh

I THINK

taht they refer to Guru Govind Singh JI's Bani

saying:

REhat Bina Nai Sikh Kahavai

meaning without the rehat a person has no right to call themself Sikh

now that CAN BE THE CAse

but I am not sure

//I am Sorry and ask for 4gveness if i have offended you/any1

but If GUru Ji's Bani has offended u I wont ask for forgivness :LOL:

WJKK WJKF

//BHULLA CHUKKA MAAF!

Main aim of an sikh is to be dust of guroo's feet which is sggs and follow guroo's hakum.

Note: Following guroo's hakum with no hestiation plays very important role in spirtual development and that is intiatated in khalsa way of life. People often say i m sikh from inside it shouldnt matter from outside. If a person can soo much inside by following guroo's hakum and then why cant person can change from outside?? 5K'S plays very important role in khalsa way of life where every kesh on your organ says vaheguroo's naam where kirpan is to balance soldier and saint concept where kanga take care of sacred hair, where kara take care of personal strength and where kachera take care of lust and other desires you might have.

- Calling someone sikh or not sikh is not a job of anyone except the person who is claiming. He/she decide by lookin at the history if he/she deserve to be sikh or not.

I hope that helps canadian jatti sahiban :D

Also canadian jatti,

If someone from now on bothers you just ignore them because ignoring the world and attachin with the guroo's feet with no desires, ego, greed, anger,attachment,lust and being inferior... it cant get better than that...if you do that ji... you will see big change in yourself...you will get peace of mind.. anand hi anand...

And all you fools....our guroo's are hungry for love ..give them love rather than deciding who is sikh or not.. look at urself first....

So basically what the majority is saying out there is that until I make the decision to become an amritdhari, I'm not a sikh...

Ok... how come Guru Nanak Dev Ji didn't start this up in the beginning then, how come Guru Gobind Singh Ji created it, what was the purpose of becoming an amritdhari. Couldn't a person place themself at the Guru's charan without physically changing themself???

Thing is I'm willing to take up all the K's except for the kesh one at this point (which I stress is right now)...I'm born and bred in a canadian town, I'm very independent...I love wearing skirts and dresses, and enjoying life in general...I treat myself by going to get my hair down at the end of the year...(like colouring cutting, etc.) Is there something wrong with me then???

a sikh is a person who follows the hukam of waheguru and the teachings of our gurus - if you look at the litteral meaning of "sikh"... it means disciple... u cannot be a disciple without following all hukams

a gursikh is a person who takes amrit and gives all his life towards waheguru - renouncing ego, attachment, lust, anger, and greed

yes u read gurbani n respect to u for that, but is it worth it if you do not follow it?.. isnt that blindly following ur faith?

i am not judging u or sayin that you are wrong - that is not up to anyone to decide, for sikhism is a very personal experience between you and guru ji

rehat bina na sikh khave, rehat bina dhar choota khave

without the Rehat (code of conduct), one cannot be called a sikh

we are not tellin you that you are not a sikh - shri guru gobind singh ji maharaj is tellin you, if you do not follow the rehat you fail to become a sikh - yes i know it sounds harsh but its best that you realise this

a very good example of this is shri guru nanak dev ji maharaj, yes he was born into a hindu family, but was he hindu?.... no he wasnt cos he never followed the orders of the hindu religion, nor did he embrace

it takes people a long time to come onto the path of sikhi fully, and if you try you can take it too - but you must follow gurbani, there is no other 2 ways about it

i hope i aint offended u

bhul chuka di maafi

fateh ji

So basically what the majority is saying out there is that until I make the decision to become an amritdhari, I'm not a sikh...

Thats not what we are saying thats what gurbani says...scroll up you will see mr singh givin you the verse.. we are nobody to tell you what you are or not..we can show you the verse from the sikh scriptures...

Ok... how come Guru Nanak Dev Ji didn't start this up in the beginning then, how come Guru Gobind Singh Ji created it, what was the purpose of becoming an amritdhari. Couldn't a person place themself at the Guru's charan without physically changing themself???

Before guroo gobind singh ji ..there was a amrit called charan amrit as well where kesh was really important as well...

Thing is I'm willing to take up all the K's except for the kesh one at this point (which I stress is right now)...I'm born and bred in a canadian town, I'm very independent...I love wearing skirts and dresses, and enjoying life in general...I treat myself by going to get my hair down at the end of the year...(like colouring cutting, etc.) Is there something wrong with me then???

Kesh does play a important role in spirtual enchancement...if you see the porpehts from all the relegion they had kept unshorn hair all the times... hair concept is a sacred one...

No there is nothing wrong with you...but you gottta feeling inside that you can not keep kesh...thats quite common for youths... sikhism helps you control the mind...by controlling the mind you can get rid of all the suffering, desires and other stress in life....how you control the mind??? by understanding scriptures...reading them and following them...

what would u choose these "materealistic world" or "peace of mind"??? i would go for peace of mind anyday.....

canadian jatti,

Welcome to the site and good thing about this site is that you are discussing your questions with members of your age so it shouldn't offend you.

Let's talk about your questions now.

Long time back one of my white friend asked me that why do we call a person Sikh who is wearing Turban and has beared and as well as a guy who is clean shaved and wears only bracelet? I had no anwser and still im looking for the anwser.

We should respect Gursikhs the ones are keeping it with proper 5ks. They are the true Sikh of Guru as they keep what Gurus have given us.

All this new version of Sikhism that sikhi is inside and it doesn't matter if we keep hair or not are pure disrespect to all of our great martyrs like Bhai Taru ji, Guru Arjun Dev ji and Bhai Mati Dass ji and more you can check on www.sikh-history.com ....

They sacrified their life but didn't prefer to cut their hair and that's why they are on all sikh websites and getting great respect which they deserve.

It shouldn't make you feel bad when someone tells you that you cut your hair and you are not sikh but it should give you more encouragement to compete with those the ones are keeping them and following it with "Rehat maryada"....

I won't blame you for your situation and its common when you are living under dual culture. I will recommend that instead of taking those comments as an insult just take them as advices and make yourself so strong that tomorrow you can stand in the same row where those Gursikhs are at this movement.

Just imagine how much respect you will get? When they will give your example to others? Also, don't take amrit or try to become sikh just to become famous or just to prove something.

You don't follow any path just to make others happy but its a relation between you and your Guru so forget about this world when you want to become Sikh and think of about that almighty God. So, don't feel that someone is discouraging you by saying that you are not sikh but take it as challenge that you will show your Guru one day that you respect his path and care about those Sikhs the ones sacrified themselves just to follow the path of their Gurus.

We call chair a chair because it has shape of chair.

We call car a car because it has the shape and body of car.

We call bus if we see the shape of bus.

What makes us call bus, chair and car with those names?

Just because all of them have distinctive shape.

So, Sikh has that shape as well and its better to call a person sikh when he/she has that shape.

Hey....Thanx everyone for your replies... One day I will take Amrit, but as of the moment, I'm not 100% ready for it...

But I know that most of you out there have taken Amrit, so i was wondering if u wouldn't mind answering my question of when u took it (age wise) and what made u decide that u were ready for it....

That would be extremely helpful...thanx....

urmmmmmmm

every disciple of guru nanak onwards took amrit of some kind....guru nanak gave charan de paul which also meant people have to stop cutting their hair.

the rahit in sikhi isnt easy. it isnt something u can just slot in there with ur daily life for 20mins a day and be sorted. its solid. even when u think u are following the rahit, theres always more to do. even when u are up at amritvela daily, u can take it further and go bibeki.

my advice to you.....is just for 1 month (yeh tis a pretty long time).....just make a pledge to guruji.....just TRY growing ur hair n wearing a keski.....yes obviously it will be v hard to begin with.....but how can u be so sure u dont want to wear a keski and keep kesh now if uve never tried it? anyways just try it out for summer.......ask guruji to give u the strength to follow what he told u 2 do.....and by the end of the month, if u really really really cant take it, and u dont feel u can live as a sikh yet, then go back 2 what u had before. but i am pretty sure u wnt feel that way.....

the majority of gals/guys i know who started growing their hair, as soon as htey put on a phug they felt incredible pride, much more than how u feel when uve spent half an hour putting on make up to make urself "look buff". yeh obviously a few went back, but they r in the minority

just try it bhenji........how will u never know if u dnt try.........sikhi is nt easy, but if u take 1 step to the guru he will take many more to you.

think about hte 9 yr old son of guru gobind singh......was he mentally and physically prepared to be tortured to death? no.....but he took it with a smile. compare a 9 year old kid who would rather die than remove his kesh, to nowadays, when we ALL slack off from the rahit, and use hte excuse that we arent ready (i still dont do my nitnem every day)

ull never know if u can swim or not, if u dont go in the swimming pool (that was a pretty cr*p metaphor lol, bt nyway)

i havent taken amrit yet, but i have a physical urge to take it. however so i get full spiritual benefit on the day, ive given myself 2 yrs to prepare (on my 18th bday.....im 16 now) so i dont keep putting it off, but i dont take it too soon.

after reading that post, also keep in mind that keski is the kakkar as per AKJ rehit... official SGPC rehit does not require bibiaan to wear keski, but it "supposedly" encourages it... In almost every other rehit it says that kesh (UNSHORN hair) is the kakkar not Keski.

but i agree... give it a try for a month bhenji...trust me...i'm canadian too...i'm not female, so i don't know that aspect of it..but all my friends are non-keshdhari...the fact that you know your paath by heart, that's not light stuff...you should be extremely proud of that!

if anyone tells you to take amrit, don't listen. take amrit when you're ready... the last thing you need is someone forcing someonelese to take amrit, and the forced person can't keep the rehit and only ends up dresing the part...

only you know when you're ready for amrit...but it's up to us, your brothers and sisters, to encourage you to step up on that path.

straight up, if anyone on this board says that you're not sikh, don't listen to them..they have no right to say that, for Guru is the only one allowed to judge you.that's a life lesson too, bhainjee..don't ever get down on what someone says about you... guru is the only one that can judge you.

Take it one step at a time..you'll find after keeping your kesh that an incredible sense of pride will take you over...nothing will surpass it... take it one step at a time...

i know it wasn't your question on needing help to follow sikhi....you're kinda getting there, but as a brother, i want to encourage you. you can do it...anyone can, and dont let anyone stop you.

as for the people that say you're not sikh.....they're judging you....and like i said before...let Guru judge you....we here on this board....we can encourage you, but you're the one that will be walking the path....and we all know that one step at a time....one foot in front of the other (MAKING SURE THE SHOELACES ARE TIED) is better than slipping on the shoes andjumping onto the path....

sorry....BRUTAL analogy...but you get it... one step at a time bhainjee..you have my support and faith!

and may guruji help you in your path! dhan guru nanak

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

*edited* please take your arguement to Akal Thakat about keski as Kakkar.

yeh but apart from that i pretty much agree with jsb......yo canadian jatti.....if u PM me ill hook u up with a few other canadian gals i have on MSN who recently-ish started growing their kesh/following sikhi propa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let the sikh authority do their job. We are not here to force anyone what they need to do. She asked different question not about keski so please try to stick to the topic if its possible for you. Thanks! for your help. -Admin

I tink da meaning of sikh is to "learn" or a "learner", a Gurus student. If u say Sikh in a punjabi way it sounds like "sik" which means learn. I also feel dat Guru Granth Sahib teaches us how 2 get 2 Waheguru, and Waheguru tests us wid exams in life and depending on how we do our results will show in da end of dis life. i tink takening amrit is like taking a PhD in Sikhi, and if we successed da rewards will be higher.

dats right, if u cant follow the Rehit, dont call urself a sikh, PLAIN AND SIMPLE

I can understand where you are coming from with this statement, but I have to disagree with you.

Im not trying to justify the way I lead my life, but.. does the name "Sikh" not mean "student"... or "learner".. "Disciple of Waheguru"... so, if your leading a life, where you are trying to learn and be a good student to Waheguru, are you not a Sikh?

Ok, so some of us are still at "Primary School" level when it comes to learning about Sikhi/being Sikh, but I dont think that it makes us any less than somebody who is at "Phd" level in Sikhi.

- Just read the rest of the posts, realised what I just said is repeating wat Rupz said, but Im still gona post it.

I can understand where you are coming from with this statement, but I have to disagree with you.

Im not trying to justify the way I lead my life, but.. does the name "Sikh" not mean "student"... or "learner".. "Disciple of Waheguru"... so, if your leading a life, where you are trying to learn and be a good student to Waheguru, are you not a Sikh?

Ok, so some of us are still at "Primary School" level when it comes to learning about Sikhi/being Sikh, but I dont think that it makes us any less than somebody who is at "Phd" level in Sikhi.

- Just read the rest of the posts, realised what I just said is repeating wat Rupz said, but Im still gona post it.

WEll what Mr N3o Singh ji said

and Mr SukhSingh Siad

they REFERD TO GURU GOVIND SINGH JI's WORDS

they are jus saying it in English!

GUru ji said :

REhat bina nai SIkh kahavai

I Didn't say it

Mr N3o SIngh ji didn't say it

neather did Mr SukhSingh..or n e one else

except our won Guru Govind Singh ji

thus in SImple terms...

ur not "DISARGREEING" with Mr SUkhSIngh Ur disagreeing With Guru Govind Singh ji

// I HOpe I havn't ofended n e one

if i have i ask for forgiveness :oops:

If Guru Ji's Bani as offended n e one

i DONT ASK FOR FORGIVENESS :LOL: 8)

khalsa souljah, like neo singh said lets not get into the whole keski debate - i think you already opened a topic related to this - please post these messages on there :D

but u need kesh b4 u wear a keski right??.. thats the main thing :wink: