Sikh Bridegroom And Family Jailed In Panjab After Wedding Brawl

dalsingh101

Groom jailed in India after wedding ends in brawl

A British groom is facing charges of attempted murder after his wedding turned into a riot

By HANNAH SUMMERS - Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A British man and eight members of his family are facing charges of murder and rioting after his Indian wedding descended into chaos.

Gurpreet Sahota, from Southall in London, was arrested and jailed along with his mother and other relatives after the group was accused of attacking the owner of a Punjabi wedding hall.

The 27-year-old, a baggage handler for British Airways at Heathrow, faces up to seven years in prison along with his family members for attempt to murder - the most serious of a string of charges - according to local reports.

Read more at:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Groom_jailed_in_India_after_wedding_ends_in_brawl&in_article_id=749151&in_page_id=34

Come on! These days most panjabis would rather DIE..than have a simple Anand Karaj ceremony that doesn't allow them to flaunt their materialistic wealth.

This site has an image of the wedding taken hours before they were arrested. I love the way our people are so subtle with colour and glitz...............hey let's just wrap up the brides and grooms in tinsel in future!! Wow!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23753541-london-groom-held-after-his-indian-wedding-turns-into-riot.do

The overt materialism that dominates Punjabi culture never ceases to amaze me.

When I was younger, the way people used to react to me saying I was Punjabi or Sikh was always with a, 'oh you guys are like a warrior people aren't you'.

Nowadays it's always like, 'Oh you're Punjabi/Sikh, wow you people have such awesome weddings with so much booze and food its great, it's like something from Bollywood!'.

The overt materialism that dominates Punjabi culture never ceases to amaze me.

When I was younger, the way people used to react to me saying I was Punjabi or Sikh was always with a, 'oh you guys are like a warrior people aren't you'.

Nowadays it's always like, 'Oh you're Punjabi/Sikh, wow you people have such awesome weddings with so much booze and food its great, it's like something from Bollywood!'.

.....or they'll ask what Merc do you drive. and are very suprised that your family dont own a business!

• 12 years later...
On 10/8/2009 at 1:58 AM, dalsingh101 said:

Groom jailed in India after wedding ends in brawl

A British groom is facing charges of attempted murder after his wedding turned into a riot

By HANNAH SUMMERS - Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A British man and eight members of his family are facing charges of murder and rioting after his Indian wedding descended into chaos.

Gurpreet Sahota, from Southall in London, was arrested and jailed along with his mother and other relatives after the group was accused of attacking the owner of a Punjabi wedding hall.

The 27-year-old, a baggage handler for British Airways at Heathrow, faces up to seven years in prison along with his family members for attempt to murder - the most serious of a string of charges - according to local reports.

Read more at:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Groom_jailed_in_India_after_wedding_ends_in_brawl&in_article_id=749151&in_page_id=34

Old news, but still interesting

London groom freed from jail after riot at Indian wedding

13 April 2012
T

he family of a London groom jailed with eight relatives after his wedding in India turned into a riot today described their relief following his release from prison.

Gurpreet Sahota, 27, and his mother Sukhwinder Kaur, from Southall, west London, faced a series of charges including attempt to murder, trespass, rioting, assault and firing weapons amid accusations they were part of a "mob" that attacked the owner of a wedding hall in Punjab.

It was feared they could face up to seven years in prison if found guilty.

But finally after two months the family has been set free after all the charges against them were dropped. Their freedom was won after a massive internet campaign and the intervention of Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs select committee.

Mr Sahota's cousin Aman Sohal, who helped organise the internet campaign and a number of protests, said the experience had been devastating. The 26-year-old, who lives in Leicester, said: "It is just brilliant to have them all home. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders. It was a wedding and the last thing you expect to happen.

But finally after two months the family has been set free after all the charges against them were dropped. Their freedom was won after a massive internet campaign and the intervention of Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs select committee.

Mr Sahota's cousin Aman Sohal, who helped organise the internet campaign and a number of protests, said the experience had been devastating. The 26-year-old, who lives in Leicester, said: "It is just brilliant to have them all home. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders. It was a wedding and the last thing you expect to happen.