Possible Reasons For Sukh Nidhaan

Kaljug

The european medicinal view is an inverted form of the truth. It is limited only to the effects of the drug on the human body. The view of cannabis from this perspective is a purely materialistic one. The psychological effects of schizophrenia and disturbed states of mind may in different more 'spiritual' cultures and environments may have served useful purposes in orientating individuals with higher realities, the difference between a Bhakta and a Pagle is fine. Rather than blaming cannabis it is the prevalent 'rituals' through which cannabis is imbibed that determines the affect on the mind, positive or negative. Also the plant is a being it has a level of consciousness, the plant must be 'asked' before it is cut and used, the manner in which it is grown, what time of day or night it is harvested will all contribute to the affect of cannabis on the human. In short if cannabis is prepared by conscious people for conscious aims then it is 'good' if it is used negligently for egotistic aims then it is 'evil'

There is no point comparing Amli Nangs with Nihangs. Nihangs themselves look down upon addicts.

I personally never came across green shaheedi degh, you were obviously in all the wrong places!

Nihang Singhs do Degh seva - as has always been done. There is nothing for you to question.

Very interesting post Mekhane'ch Jannat, thanks for that. Obviously - approach and attitude are key in all actions - that an ardaas is done over the degh to make it parvaan is an example of this, something the neophytes forget.

Edited by shaheediyan

The european medicinal view is an inverted form of the truth. It is limited only to the effects of the drug on the human body. The view of cannabis from this perspective is a purely materialistic one. The psychological effects of schizophrenia and disturbed states of mind may in different more 'spiritual' cultures and environments may have served useful purposes in orientating individuals with higher realities, the difference between a Bhakta and a Pagle is fine.

seems awfully convenient. if a person starts hearing voices, or begins feeling paranoid from cannibus use, it's definitely not b/c they are getting in touch with higher realities. i'm aware that cannibus can open up a persons creative side and get them in touch with their subconscious mind, but that's hardly worthwhile given the side effects over a prolonged period of time.

a healthy mind is required to reach higher mystical states, and over a period of time all these shortcuts slowly destroy the health of a persons mind. of course, that doesn't mean that they lack the ability to open up the subconscious etc., but there are other safer means.

the use of drugs to reach higher realities is a fallacy. the american mystic Emerson warned against them, claiming they are always a dead end. Even on this thread, the extremely limited rational spiritual use of cannibus, to help deal with pain of prolonged meditation or settle the mind at early stages, does not allow for cannibus to be used to take us to higher levels. instead it's simply another thing that helps stabilise the mind, like diet, and the helps the body deal with pain, like advil.

i'm not saying you are seeing it this way, but too many people see drugs as some sort of magical key.

The way I am seeing it now. Sukha or bhang was most probably used as a relaxant between battles. It can help alleviate anxiety (although it can also do the opposite!)

There is no way THC (the active substance of the weed) can actually help a fighter in battle. I read an European extract from the late 1700s that explicitly said that Singhs took bhang AFTER fatigues. Will try and dig that up later and post it.

Cannabis itself has no direct analgesic (pain killing) effect so anyone claiming that it was used for this is plain wrong. Although some special conditions do seem to become more bearable with the substance i.e. multiple sclerosis, this doesn't correspond to war injuries.

Opium, however does have analgesic effects (hence the use of morphine even today). So this may have been used to suppress pain from battle wounds.

But lets be frank here. Knowing Panjabis, a fair proportion of takers (past and present) would be indulging simply for this reason:

Edited by dalsingh101

Xylitol i totally agree with you. Use of drugs in modern society to advance spiritually is dangerous and bad for society. Remember Timothy Leary and his buddies in the US experimenting with LSD. After experiencing short periods of mystical consciousness when returning into normal life, because they had not prepared and disciplined themselves according to a correct moral-religious teaching, they twisted what they saw and confused levels of consciousness. They spawned this decadent american culture of party hard and depravity because of this.

My point is in relation to Nihangs in the past consuming cannibus, a very different culture and attitude to nature was in Human Beings. To judge why they took it from our modern scientific-rational viewpoint is akin to judging something by standards that the thing has no conception of. The Imago MUndi of the Nihangs is not the Imago Mundi of modern 20th century man. SO to talk about the physical effects of cannibus as a sort of bottom line in judging why Nihangs took cannibus is nonsensical we can never understand why they took it if we contunue to think in the way modern society has conditioned us. And it will get harder and harder to justify certain older practices unless people start coming out of the newtonian slumber western rationalistic science has imposed upon them.

THC the active ingredient of cannibus is not an objective trigger to create a certain state in every human being. Each persons reaction will vary according to their BEING what they are, and also therefore the influences the Human is under. A human under different influences will react differently to THC. A modern bunner living in a stress society that increases tensions and useless desires in people, will react differently to a Nihang living under the open sky more in tune with nature and not having the same pressures on him as modern society. So to say THC has this affect and therefore NIhangs would not have taken it is an obliteration of the subtelties in human nature that makes us Human. Unfortunately western science has the habit to reduce humans to some sort of prima materia well if you worship matter eventually you will become it - in its pure form of course

Thats exactly what I was saying. You can't compare 'smoking pure cannabis' to the method of preparation and intake for Shaheedi Degh, where Sukha (5 pathhe) is a minor ingredient and induces zero 'ammal', where by women and children can take it to. He clearly says this is 'Gurus maryada'.

Its also good thi comes from Baba Nihal Singh, as many western Taksali youth etc misinformed youths usually promote him as a 'real Nihang'. Yes he is. And he respects Chatka tradition, even though I don't think he partakes himself (although members of his Dal do).

Good that Baba Ji also explained the seperate usage of Sukha for helping injured Singhs (limbs cut off etc) - whereby no other method of pain relief was available. These are real Nihang traditions and historical records of Yudh and Seva.

ts also good thi comes from Baba Nihal Singh, as many western Taksali youth etc misinformed youths usually promote him as a 'real Nihang'. Yes he is. And he respects Chatka tradition, even though I don't think he partakes himself (although members of his Dal do).

exactly, if above audio is not enough for people who uses baba nihal singh ji as token to promote some of their mindset ie- neela bana, anti meat stance, anti sukha stance then i may have video of amrit sanchar of baba nihal singh ji talking of such maryada for them which i rather not share but only at last resort. Look guys i m against consuming meat/sukha as well but i m not hell bent on making everyone in the panth vegetarians as but i like to see understanding about different level of diets belonging different gunas of khalsa. My claim is- 150 years ago jhatka and sukha topics were non-existent or non issue. It became an issue with right wing-bhausarias.

There is so much evidence supporting meat eating amongst amritdhari Sikhs from both external and internal sources that I am surprised that anyone still tries to force the vege issue these days.

May be in the dal but not whole of panth.??

Here is a quote from Bhangu's Panth Prakash on the matter.

post-3203-125841493609_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

What enemies are we facing besides the panj chor?Are we getting bloodied up by people?Are we in injuries everyday?Are we living in jungles?The answer is no.We aren't in any persecution.We in the west live comfortably.Even in India the nihang Singh don't live too hard of a life.They aren't getting killed everyday or any time soon.I seen these things because I stayed in a dal for some time.