Religious Practice Of Sacrificing Animals

bhooliya

Starting this topic to show videos of this belief.

Chicken

Goat

Camel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8nQ3Tj9To

Obscene mass animal sacrifice starts in Nepal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xA027XOWc

( Barbaric practice on the name of religion )

Ensanguined Divinity by Agnijita Mukherjee,

Way of the Gurkha Warrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5OYhjx-Xg

Edited by bhooliya

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sacrifice

Hinduism

The basis of Hindu scriptures are the Vedas, which encourage Vedic Sacrifices (Yajna). These include the Ashwamedha (Horse Sacrifice), as well as the Somayaagam and Agnistoma (involving the sacrifice of goats). The meat of the animals were never eaten (nor were the animals actually killed by the priests themselves)[citation needed], and asphyxiation was used to minimise discomfort to the creature. Due to protests by activists, recent performances of the Somayaagam and Agnistoma in Kerala have used "pishta pashu" (forms of animals made out of paste) as a substitute for live animals.

Although many Hindus are vegetarian, there are Hindu temples in India as well as Nepal and also Assam where goats and chickens as well as buffaloes are sacrificed. These sacrifices are mainly done at mandirs following the Shakti school of Hinduism where the female nature of Brahman is worshipped in the form of Kali Ma and Durga. There are many village temples in Tamil Nadu where this kind of sacrifice takes place.[2]

Even in many Sakti shrines of Orissa animals like goat and chicken are sacrificed on Durga Puja in the month of Aswina (September-October) every year. In Sambalpur, this ritual sacrifice is performed in the Samaleswari temple (Pasayat, 2003:67-84).

The Hindu way of animal sacrifice/slaughter is called Jhatka, where the head of the animal is severed completely by a single blow of a heavy sword. This is considered to be the most merciful and painless death for the animal, as the spinal cord and the blood supply to the brain are severed immediately. Today much of the urban Hindu community disapproves of animal sacrifice, which has been phased out in many urban areas. There still remain many traditional practices in conservative rural areas, where attempts to stop the practices have been met with resistance.

Possibly the largest animal sacrifice in the world occurs during Gadhimai festival in Nepal. In the 3 day long sacrifice in 2009 it was speculated that more than 250,000 animals were killed [3] while 5 million devotees attended the festival[4].

I guess even the gods gotta eat.

A buffalo in one blow by the Gurkha Warrior.....eat your heart out Nihangs

That was impressive

I recall hearing a story, perhaps on this very forum, of Baba Santa Singh taking the Nihangs to Nepal during one of these events. The Nepalis gave him an animal that had huge horns reaching over the back of his neck so that it was almost impossible to jhatka. So Baba Santa Singh draws his shastar and cuts upwards from the throat of the animal up and beheads it with one blow. :D

K.

I recall hearing a story, perhaps on this very forum, of Baba Santa Singh taking the Nihangs to Nepal during one of these events. The Nepalis gave him an animal that had huge horns reaching over the back of his neck so that it was almost impossible to jhatka. So Baba Santa Singh draws his shastar and cuts upwards from the throat of the animal up and beheads it with one blow. :D

K.

Now only if that was recorded :o

I've seen that Gurkha video before. Gruesome as it may be, I cant help but be in awe of the power of the kukri, because by the looks of things, a buffalo/bull isn't the easiest animal to behead in a single blow!

No one can deny that these guys are pure warriors. Look at the kids witnessing such a scene!

Can you imagine any of the Punjabi/Sikh kids being able to watch such a thing without squirming?

Taking the bulls head whilst its being pulled and braced against a wooden log isnt that hard as the tension and angle will allow the heavy kukri to easily go through. There is a tradition in Chatka amongst Nihangs, where they also make the bhujangis watch a chatka from a young age to allow them to overcome the natural inhibition of blood/killing/death

Taking the bulls head whilst its being pulled and braced against a wooden log isnt that hard as the tension and angle will allow the heavy kukri to easily go through. There is a tradition in Chatka amongst Nihangs, where they also make the bhujangis watch a chatka from a young age to allow them to overcome the natural inhibition of blood/killing/death

the fact that the Kukri is a especially heavy weapon for it's size also plays a factor of why it can cut through so easily. I wonder how a Katana or a Japanese sword would do when doing Chatka since it is reputed to being the best of swords.

Edited by Mithar

There is a tradition in Chatka amongst Nihangs, where they also make the bhujangis watch a chatka from a young age to allow them to overcome the natural inhibition of blood/killing/death

I will never be able to understand the tradition of killing animal when the time is not of swords but guns..