How Does One Live With Detachment In This World?

Xylitol

How does one become a tyaagi while living in this world, going to work/school, raising a family etc? How can one be outwardly engaged while being an udasi inside? How can we just be chill and enjoy life in a detached manner?

Which banis do you recommend? Which viddhis have you found to help with this tyaag from mukt marg or sankat mochan or other granths?

I was just about to ask something similar, so instead of making a new thread i'll had to your questions, my questions where what steps must a person take on the spritual quest, how do you jap naam? is it simply reciting a mantra? what should you think about when jaaping naam? How should one behave and act with others? specialy those who may show hostility towards you.

Read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahiri_Mahasaya ... If this great soul can do it then everyone can do it. He was an accountant and that's very stressful job.

Let me make it clear that I am not trying to convert you to his path because spiritual path is very personal. We should explore ourselves with the help of our Guru/Gyan ...

Interesting:

53. I saw thousands of Krisnas. ( Very similar experience as Guru Gobind Singh Ji )

54. I saw the greater Krisna.

http://www.sanskritclassics.com/108.html

Edited by bhooliya

How does one become a tyaagi while living in this world, going to work/school, raising a family etc? How can one be outwardly engaged while being an udasi inside? How can we just be chill and enjoy life in a detached manner?

Which banis do you recommend? Which viddhis have you found to help with this tyaag from mukt marg or sankat mochan or other granths?

Simple answer to your quest is "Anand Sahib". Read, Understand and Practice.

andrahu jin kaa moh tutaa tin kaa sabad sachai savaari-aa.

Those who eradicate attachment from within themselves, are adorned with understanding of the Shabad, the Word of the True Lord.

Those that truly detach themselves from worldly desires are the ones who shall develop a better understanding. The understanding of the message in the shabad gradually increases.

Maharaj says via gurbani, one can totally be in maya but inner should be de-attached- Gurmukh Maya Vich Udasi ||

Real tyagi is the one who is surrounded by maya- worldly happiness, physical happiness, all surrounded by kam, krodh, moh, lob, ahankar all the money and everything is willing to tyaag all that in one chin(moment) if asked or challenged or given an hukam.

For that, one needs inner abhyaas at first stage, see everything mithiya(cease to destruction as its) as gurbani has many mahavakas of bairaag- shalok nauvan then slowly as surti rises, from the same gurbani mahavaks of ekta with atma-paratma that all this pasara(creation) sargun pasara including ashthol/shuksham maya is all vahiguroo roop. Its recommended as beginner to see everything mithiya, naturally in later stages one will see in everything bhram. Some begineer start seeing vahiguroo in everything without doing abhyaas, as as result get merged in maya(dandal) with no hoping of rising above as a result all their life went astray. May be tsingh veer ji and kam veer can also respond to this interesting thread.

The simple thing to remember is that do not run away from your responsibilities. In Guru-Mat, it's must to keep up with worldly responsibilities while walking on the path of spirituality. Your spiritual progress will lead you and show you the path. We can not tell about taste of orange unless we try it, so keep going deep in spiritual swimming.

I think the words of Guru Tegh Bahadhur can help shed light on this:

He who is not disturbed by suffering;

Who is not swayed by pleasures, attachments or fear;

Who sees gold and dust as the same;

Who does not seek out praise, nor run from blame;

Who is beyond greed, attachment and ego;

Who rises above pleasure and pain;

Who reacts to neither praise nor slander;

Who renounces desires and sensuality:

Who remains detached from the world:

Who is free from lust and anger:

In such a person dwells Waheguru (God).

Only by the Guru's grace does a person come to understand this.

Guru Nanak says such a person merges into Waheguru,

just as water into water.

Swami Parmanand did a beautiful lecture on this exact subject.

In brief - the danger and fear many people have of 'simran' is that it will make them bairaagi/tyaagi and they will become detached from their kids, wife, parents, friends, career etcetera.

Sant Ji explained that the purpose of simran is actually opposite to this. It helps one to become 'perfect' in their worldly endeavours. A Warrior who does simran achieves perfection in war, a Wife who does simran becomes the perfect Wife, a Mantri becomes the perfect, as does a Son, a Father or a King.

He the 'solitude' occurs and is necessary when one is dwelling in abyaas/bhagti. This is why amritvela (solitude) is vital. In this time, one becomes aware of his true self, the atma awakens, the mun becomes subserviant and one goes back into his role/duty with a perfect dharmic understanding.

Sri Krishan Maharaj as Swami Ji says, was the ideal example of the perfect King. One who served his people rather than expect service from them, so perfect was his Kingdom (Ayodha) is was given heavenly status by Prabhu... this perfection was attained through the years of simran in the Forests to which he was exiled.

That exile for us (everyday) is amritvela, and we should return to our Kingdom as great Kings and aim to rule with perfection everyday....

It is fear of tiyaag that holds us back in my opinion (subconcious) rather than knowledge of some secret formula to induce it. It is this fear we should remove, once this is done then we are open to express our prem to Satguru.

Edited by shaheediyan