'every Hindu And Sikh Should Be Praising The Bnp'

dalsingh101

'Every Hindu and Sikh should be praising the BNP'

This weekend the British National Party will vote on letting non-Caucasians join. If the rules do change, Rajinder Singh, a Sikh, can't wait to become a member

Jenny Kleeman The Guardian, Thursday 11 February 2010 Article history

Rajinder Singh is flicking through the Pakistani channels on his Sky box from his sofa in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. Dressed in a crimson turban, he sits a metre from the ­enormous screen, translating the odd phrase for my benefit. He's trying to show me why he's determined to join the British National Party – the only party he considers "brave" enough to "break out of the burkha called ­political correctness".

Last year, the Equality and ­Human Rights Commission forced the BNP to change its constitution on the grounds that restricting membership to ­"indigenous Caucasians" broke the Race Relations Act. A new constitution is expected to be agreed at a party meeting this Sunday, and if it's amended both Singh and the BNP think he would be ideal as the party's first non-white ­recruit. Communications and campaigns ­officer Martin Wingfield has personally endorsed him on his blog, calling for the party to "adapt and survive and give the brave and loyal Rajinder Singh the honour of becoming the first ethnic minority member".

Singh is a 78-year-old Sikh, a retired primary school teacher and a father of two, who left India for the UK in 1967. He says he's been loyal to the BNP since he first heard BNP leader Nick Griffin on television in late 2001. "He used the word 'Islam'. And I thought, 'He's brave, he has conviction,'" Singh says. "I thought, 'It's amazing what you've said: I've always been thinking that, since my childhood.'" He wrote Griffin letters of support and eventually provided him with a character reference at his 2005 trial for inciting racial hatred. Singh has voted for the BNP in every local and general election since discovering them. "I couldn't keep away."

It feels strange to hear these words from a man in a turban, but Singh ­admits he's only wearing it for my ­benefit. He's not a religious man and is clean shaven, but he wore a turban the first time he ever had "media exposure" – on BNPTV, the party's online ­channel – and has decided to do so whenever speaking to the media because "the message carries more weight" coming from a turban-wearing Sikh.

His "message" is simple and ­depressingly familiar: he fears that Britain is becoming an Islamic republic, and Islam is dangerous. "Most of them behave very nicely, but suddenly when they get together in the mosque and ­listen to the preaching, they acquire a collective identity that is formidable. It's the collective being that frightens me."

Islamophobia is not uncommon among Hindu and Sikh immigrants, but Singh's personal history makes his all the more acute. Born in West Punjab in 1931, he witnessed the violence of Indian partition firsthand. Millions of Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims were killed during partition, his father among them, murdered when Singh was only 15. He lays the blame squarely with Muslims. Why doesn't he blame the British, the architects of partition? ­"Britain had a role to play," he concedes, "but the violence sprang from the Koran. The Muslim answer to reasoned argument is knife, dagger and bomb."

This thinking gives Singh an affinity with even the most diehard BNP ­members. He's been to several party meetings and says he never feels awkward in their company. "They treat me normally," he insists. "I feel at home." I ask if he thinks many BNP members can tell the difference between Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims. "They might think of me as a Paki," he replies. "I've had people shout 'Paki Go Home!' when I walk down the street. But that speaks much about the 'Paki' reputation – it's a negative reaction to Pakistan."

When it comes to BNP policy, Singh knows what he'll be endorsing with his membership. He thinks voluntary ­repatriation in exchange for cash would be "something excellent, something supreme" because only those who are truly loyal to the UK would choose to stay here rather than take the money. When I ask about BNP plans to give "native Britons" preference in the job market, he says this has always been unofficially the case, and spelling it out in law won't make any real difference to the lives of people such as him.

Aren't the BNP racist, I ask? "Pre-amendment, yes," he replies. "They are trying to soften up. Shouldn't the nation welcome that? It's a positive move if they get people like me, and if I'm sitting in a BNP meeting they won't say 'Throw all of them out' because they'll realise one of 'them' is among 'us'." But the BNP were forced to extend their membership beyond "indigenous Caucasians", they didn't choose to. Surely they still feel the same about non-whites? "Initially the child is forced to go to school, then it becomes his habit, and then he voluntarily goes when he sees the point of it," says Singh.

Fellow Sikhs have shunned him, but Singh thinks they are misguided. "Every Hindu and Sikh comes from a country that was a victim of Islamic aggression," he says. "Every Hindu and Sikh should be praising the BNP and thanking God that something has appeared that may guarantee that this country is not overwhelmed."

The BNP are hungry for a more ­acceptable face, and they recognise Singh may be the perfect person to provide it: he's an articulate man with a readily exploitable, deep-seated bitterness. It's clear to me that they've used him whenever they've needed to appear legitimate – at Griffin's trial, and now that they face legal action if they fail to change their constitution. "I may be being exploited," Singh says, "but there's a good underlying cause. They will be diluted." Then he smiles. "All parties use people. If they don't, they will fail."

Will the BNP let non-whites join?

If it helps them exploit hatred, yes

So this is where it gets interesting. Will Rajinder Singh, with his strategically worn turban and his visceral hatred of Muslims, become the all-new face of the BNP? The Sikh has been used for PR purposes, but will the core membership welcome him? He is change, but is he the change they want?

We'll know a bit more on Sunday when the BNP membership votes on whether it will acquiesce to the demands of the Equality Commission and accept applications from those of all races and ethnic backgrounds. Logic says they will. But when was the far right and its ragbag ever logical?

If it all goes well for Singh, he won't be the first oddball to sit uneasily within the ranks of Nick Griffin's followers. Pat Richardson, a senior BNP councillor in Epping, Essex, is Jewish and it doesn't bother her that co-adherents do a nice line in anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial. "I distinguish between my Jewishness, which is a religion, and my support for the BNP, which is purely political," she has explained. In Barking, we see Laurence Rustem, who is half Turkish. He's OK, because in the words of one of the party's former election candidates, he is only "half a wog". And it's the half that isn't that counts.

The weekend vote could change much for Singh, but it will also be crucial for Griffin, who sees genuine opportunity if he can only persuade the members to re-brand their party, however superficially, as rightwing but not obviously racist. It's the old dilemma; ideological purity v electability.

It is his hunch that there are enough people disgruntled with other groups of people to make a recast BNP quite popular, and there might be something in that. Go on to the streets and listen to the white English complaining about the Poles, the Poles being rude about the Russians, black Britons carping about Asians, Hindus being disrespectful of Bangladeshis, Singh and his ilk getting stuck into the Muslims. We live on the thin line between love and hate and given the chance, Griffin – still the extremist but ever the pragmatist – would site his party there and exploit those differences rather than defy the law and face oblivion. But that wasn't what much of the membership signed up to. Tricky.

Hugh Muir

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/feb/11/bnp-nonwhites-members-sikh-join

Here he is being interviewed by an icy stiff upper lip BNP woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgFuKS451dk

"They might think of me as a Paki," he replies. "I've had people shout 'Paki Go Home!' when I walk down the street. But that speaks much about the 'Paki' reputation – it's a negative reaction to Pakistan."

Spectacular naivety.

Well Rajinder should be a happy bunny now, they've voted and he is now allowed in.

I wonder how many more fools will do the same? 2 to 1 odds on FordCapri. lol

While Rajinder is singing the praises of these people and painting a rosy picture, this is what they are saying about us. This is a UK poster on a white supremacist forum. Notice that he generalises:

"...most indians have an in-built terror that the big, strong,touugh Englishman might turn 'nasty' towards him. Unspoken, but sorely felt."

These "I'm alright jack" Indians really do get up my nose.

You highlighted some revealing bits anyway dalsingh.

He's been to several party meetings and says he never feels awkward in their company. "They treat me normally," he insists. "I feel at home."

Shows that wasps who are racist and sadistic can be brilliant at hiding it.

When I ask about BNP plans to give "native Britons" preference in the job market, he says this has always been unofficially the case, and spelling it out in law won't make any real difference to the lives of people such as him.

So racial discrimination is the norm? BNP would only formalise it?

Edited by Dharma

"...most indians have an in-built terror that the big, strong,touugh Englishman might turn 'nasty' towards him. Unspoken, but sorely felt."

The Englishman is also the most hated in the world. Who shoved his empire down everyone's throat. I never see a Englishman living in England, they have all ran off to Australia or Americas.

The Englishman is also the most hated in the world. Who shoved his empire down everyone's throat. I never see a Englishman living in England, they have all ran off to Australia or Americas.

Don't forget Spain! LOADS of them there colonising the place. Something like half a million. What kills it is the hypocrisy, over there they form their own communities and frequently do not bother to learn Spanish. Then they turn around and accuse others of not integrating here!

Also don't make any mistake, there are loads of them still here.

Edited by dalsingh101

I understand why many Brits are apprehensive about immigration, but the BNP is not the answer. How will they stop illegal immigrants? Legal immigration is very strictly controlled, believe it or not, and I don't see how they could change anything significantly.

Anyone who votes for the BNP is a moorakh, without doubt. It would be funny if so many asians/blacks become members that they take over the party!

BNP types are extremely hypocritical.

According to them every race/ethnic group has a land of origin and should return there...except whites! Their favourite slogan is "a dog born in a stable is still a dog" meaning that non-whites can never be British but the same logic does not apply to whites in North America/Aus/NZ. They often complain "we were never asked" about immigration but think nothing of the changes the English have imposed on others. Still they still think they are the victims of a great injustice resulting in their ethnic group being shafted at the expense of others. They play the race card much more than anyone else as well. These days they compare themselves to the Red Indians of all people!

Here is a useful example of what their typical supporter thinks (highlight is mine). Ignore his complaints about the BNP allowing non-whites in because that is the result of legal action rather than change of attitude.

Most of my neighbours and workmates couldn't distinguish between hindus, sikhs or muslims - they call them all p*kis and they want them out.

They also abbreviate the term Western Oriental Gentlemen and want them gone, too.

The BNP has lost the support of White People like these - just look at the election results over the last six months or so.

Edited by Dharma

I do feel sorry for the old man that he needs to join the bnp in order to feel some kind of justice for what happened to him. Many of the victims of partition are often chastised by our own community, with some sikhs feeling more sympathy for the muslims than the sikh victims who were just as innocent. Unfortunately, as a community, we cannot offer anything to counter muslim extremism or the BNP.

The interview he did with the ice queen just shows that even after half a century our losses and disasters will be used by others to vindicate their own debauched beliefs. I'm sure many of those who died in partition wouldnt be happy the BNP use it as a tool to galvanise their own people, in the same way Jinnah whipped up hysteria among the muslims against sikhs.

According to them every race/ethnic group has a land of origin and should return there...except whites! Their favourite slogan is "a dog born in a stable is still a dog" meaning that non-whites can never be British but the same logic does not apply to whites in North America/Aus/NZ.

I think we should use the phrase 'a lion born in a pig sty is still a lion' to describe our existence in their shithole of an island.

Anyone who votes for the BNP is a moorakh, without doubt. It would be funny if so many asians/blacks become members that they take over the party!

If UAF gave me the membership fee I would happily apply just for a laugh. And to put white faces to the white beliefs touted by mad-eye griffy.

A few nutjobs have left the BNP and joined the NF because of the BNP constitution change allowing the Rajinder Singhs of the world to join them.

I have every sympathy for our people that suffered at partition but joining goray, who were just as guilty for what happened has to be openly condemned.

I tell you what though, BNPesque vibes seem to be becoming very very popular these days with the WWC. I wonder if they will get more support over the next few years?

Just to give a tip - you guys should watch the BBC documentary The Secret Agent about the BNP. It's on youtube. It's not new but it has a lot of useful info in it.

It shows one councillor who says their sweet talk about Hindus and Sikhs is just so they can get a few votes from them and appear more plausible while they focus on Muslims. Another councillor says he squirted dog faeces through an Asian takeaway letterbox for several weeks. Griffin also alleges that politically correct police in NW England are victimising whites and letting Asians off the hook (the reality is the opposite). He also says that 500 rioting Asians would teach the police a lesson.

Edited by Dharma

is'nt it mostly hill billy rednecks that vote for BNP?

I think given votes are going into the million figure, we can assume that it is more than a fringe minority that are actually sympathetic to such views?

I don't know. We should just be a bit circumspect about all this. Many white people seem seriously disgruntled about the current state of affairs in the UK.