Do You Wake Up At Amritvela? How?

Matheen

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

The first characteristic of a Sikh as defined by Guru Ji is one who wakes up at Amritvela. Would be interesting to hear of the various techniques used - not theories but what you have tried and tested yourself.

The most effective one for me is to have someone wake me up, lol. What works for you?

It's good you brought this up.

I woke up at Amritvela and did my bit of simran and paat and it was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. I felt more Sikh then I have ever in my life and it started the day...so ....so.... Doing this is so positive that it cannot be described in words. So I wont bother.

I realised that this 'Amrit vela' is not a chore but a true gift. Nadaar or grace.

Then I started getting shabby and I am fighting it.

God willing I will get back to it. It is just strange for a guy like me who was usually arriving home at Amritvela.

I have to rely on my alarm clock....lol

Let today be a return to the discipline I had not long ago.

I'm finally starting to realise why it is said that Sikhi is a double edged sword, as fine a string of hair. It is true discipline. The hardest path.

This is the sweetest and most challenging path to tred, even superficially let alone on a deep level.

Alarm clocks don't seem to work. As I discovered last night.........lol

Grace...please extend yourself to me.

Waking up is ok - even if it's just to turn off the alarm. I've tried some NLP techniques, and they sometimes work as far as waking up is concerned.

It's getting out of bed that's the issue!

Dalsingh, you are right that it comes down to nadar, or kirpa. It seems strange and contradictory, but I've felt an increase in ego/haumai when I manage a long run of Amritvela. As soon as I notice this, it's guaranteed that I won't be up the next day. It's like someone is showing me who the boss really is, lol.

I think that's why reading Gurbani, with its constant message to be humble, is so important. Ardas is very powerful as well.

One time I did ardass for something after doing chaur sahib seva for awhile. The request was instantly approved, whereas normally such a request was not approved afer bouts of naam simran.

Also, Steve Pavlina website has some good tips on waking up early, I think the post is called How to become an early riser.

The best weapon is a heartfelt Ardaas i.e. not just saying "hai parmatma, menu amritvelai utan di kirpaaltha bakshi" but truely meaning it.

Also, after reciting Sohila Sahib, instead of counting sheep, focus primarily on rising at amritvela (inc time, so you set your body clock) whilst reciting your 'go to sleep Gurmantar'.

Other tricks include leaving your mobile phone (most annoying loud alarm you can muster) at a distance which will not allow you to reach out, turn it off and go back to bed i.e. leave it outside your bedroom door, or in your wardrobe...!

Also, some Mahapursh give the the great advice of 'chucking your rjai' off the bed, as soon as the alarm goes off. The most lethal weapon against amritvela, is the warmth of the bed, as soon as the rjai is off, the cold air counter attacks your mun, and battle is equalised!!

Similarily, one can keep a cloth in a glass of cold water next to their bed. As soon as the alarm goes off, wipe your sleepy/warm face with the cold wet cloth lol...

Sant Niranjan Singh Ji used to say that waking up at amritvela is like fighting a Tiger with your bare hands every morning!!!

They were not wrong lol!

NB the above is not all my personal experiences, but a combination of mine and other Gursikh friends and Mahapursh advice etc.

On a serious note, nothing in life changes without being a 'Yogi' in your grisht jeevan. Amritvela is the only true opportunity (in the earlier stages at least) to become the Yogi in the wilderness, away from all sansaari distractions.

Without amritvela, I truely believe no one can progress spiritually in life, no matter how much kirtan they sing, seva they perform or gyaan they attain.

Edited by shaheediyan

"It seems strange and contradictory, but I've felt an increase in ego/haumai when I manage a long run of Amritvela. As soon as I notice this, it's guaranteed that I won't be up the next day. It's like someone is showing me who the boss really is, lol.

I think that's why reading Gurbani, with its constant message to be humble, is so important. Ardas is very powerful as well."

Spot on.

Although waking up early and sleeping less is not something that is necessarily only limited to those who believe in God. I know a very passionate martial arts teacher who is atheist. He sleeps between 3-4 hours every night and gets up at 4am sharp (has done for over 20 years) to practice the core drills of all the styles he has gained knowledge of and to meditate (martial/physical/mental, rather than spiritual).

If one has strong desire, then one can also achieve these feats. Our goal should be to make simran 'our strongest desire'.

I did it but have been feeling 'cream crackered' most of the day. Which is good as I might get to sleep early today(which I've always found seriously difficult since I were a nipper).

What's the longest anyone has kept Amritvela unbroken here? If it isn't too personal a question?

Done some long stretches when sharing a house with Singhs during uni and also when in India. The effect is amazing and you have so much time to do extra Nitnam. Hope to get back to that level, with Guru Ji's kirpa.

A bit sporadic at the moment!

The bottom line is that it is all Guru Ji's kirpa, but sometimes we need 'jugatt' to do things.

Set the alarm, then place the clock on the other side of the room, or in a drawer or cupboard so that when it goes off you have to get out of bed to find the clock and turn it off, once it is off then head straight for the door and into the bathroom. :D

What can help is having a timer on the heating system in winter so that your place is heated up before the time you get up.

That way your bed just doesn't seem to be as much of a warm shelter.

Anyway, is it just me or has anyone else noticed the sunrising earlier these days?

What I find strange is how during some periods getting up at Amritvela is like a piece of cake, and one wakes up naturally early frequently even before the alarm clock goes off. At other times it is a humongous task that requires every last exertion of your will power.......

It is almost like being forsaken when this happens....

Edited by dalsingh101

http://zenhabits.net/2007/05/10-benefits-of-rising-early-and-how-to-do-it/

How to Become an Early Riser

* Don’t make drastic changes. Start slowly, by waking just 15-30 minutes earlier than usual. Get used to this for a few days. Then cut back another 15 minutes. Do this gradually until you get to your goal time.

* Allow yourself to sleep earlier. You might be used to staying up late, perhaps watching TV or surfing the Internet. But if you continue this habit, while trying to get up earlier, sooner or later one is going to give. And if it is the early rising that gives, then you will crash and sleep late and have to start over. I suggest going to bed earlier, even if you don’t think you’ll sleep, and read while in bed. If you’re really tired, you just might fall asleep much sooner than you think.

* Put your alarm clock far from you bed. If it’s right next to your bed, you’ll shut it off or hit snooze. Never hit snooze. If it’s far from your bed, you have to get up out of bed to shut it off. By then, you’re up. Now you just have to stay up.

* Go out of the bedroom as soon as you shut off the alarm. Don’t allow yourself to rationalize going back to bed. Just force yourself to go out of the room. My habit is to stumble into the bathroom and go pee. By the time I’ve done that, and flushed the toilet and washed my hands and looked at my ugly mug in the mirror, I’m awake enough to face the day.

* Do not rationalize. If you allow your brain to talk you out of getting up early, you’ll never do it. Don’t make getting back in bed an option.

* Have a good reason. Set something to do early in the morning that’s important. This reason will motivate you to get up. I like to write in the morning, so that’s my reason. Also, when I’m done with that, I like to read all of your comments!

* Make waking up early a reward.