Sri Nanak Parkash In English

Matheen

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Kam has stared a blog where he will translate various granths, starting with Sri Nanak Parkash. The link is: Here. It will be updated regularly, and Sri Nanak Parkash will take about a year to translate.

Dalsingh i was trying to put the Gurmukhi text on but i just could not understand the Gurmukhi Unicode esp when youa re so used to using other Gurmukhi fonts. So i left it in the end. The other reason was that it would slow the completion of the work down. I hope to Get the Sri Nanak Parkash done which should take about a year then move onto some of the other dharam granths, vedant granths and ithaasak granths. Bhai Jvala Singh who has a beautiful blog gave me instructions how to set up the Gurmukhi unicode but me being as thick as I am was unable to use it properly. Please accept my apologies for this

I have however tried to keep the numbering system as in the Granths so you can read the Gurmukhi on www.ik13.com and the english fromt he blog if ti makes life easier?

It is tricky trying to do a basic english translation of the Sooraj Parkash as it is really deep. The Mangal for Saraswati has so many different meanings that if expounded it could go on for a long time so have tried to keep with the literal meanings of the text whilst trying to preserve the sampardaic arths.

I will try to update this blog at least once in every two days as am quite busy tring to finish off one book and assisting with another book. Along with the seva i can do for gurmatveechar.com i am busy juggling many balls. Gurus Kirpa if I am graced by the divine these tasks will be completed in accordance to his will.

Matheen thank you for posting this on the forum.

Dalsingh i was trying to put the Gurmukhi text on but i just could not understand the Gurmukhi Unicode esp when youa re so used to using other Gurmukhi fonts. So i left it in the end. The other reason was that it would slow the completion of the work down. I hope to Get the Sri Nanak Parkash done which should take about a year then move onto some of the other dharam granths, vedant granths and ithaasak granths. Bhai Jvala Singh who has a beautiful blog gave me instructions how to set up the Gurmukhi unicode but me being as thick as I am was unable to use it properly. Please accept my apologies for this

I have however tried to keep the numbering system as in the Granths so you can read the Gurmukhi on www.ik13.com and the english fromt he blog if ti makes life easier?

It is tricky trying to do a basic english translation of the Sooraj Parkash as it is really deep. The Mangal for Saraswati has so many different meanings that if expounded it could go on for a long time so have tried to keep with the literal meanings of the text whilst trying to preserve the sampardaic arths.

I will try to update this blog at least once in every two days as am quite busy tring to finish off one book and assisting with another book. Along with the seva i can do for gurmatveechar.com i am busy juggling many balls. Gurus Kirpa if I am graced by the divine these tasks will be completed in accordance to his will.

Matheen thank you for posting this on the forum.

I will type up the first section that you translated and will msg it to you over Facebook and will post it here. I will type up any section you want brother just let me know I am an extremely quick typer

Jawala sion is another d0N..!!

anand mangal guys...!!

There has to be another d0n somewhere who can put couplets of these guys amazing seva in to power point presentations to present it to the youths, youths just don't like reading, they find pictorial parchar more appealing...!! :D :D

Here you go Kam! I just saw that you have posted some more ! Yikes, I hate playing catch up lol

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

There is One God who is realised through the grace of the True Guru.

ਅਥ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼ ਲਿਖਯਤੇ ।

Now the text of the Sri Nanak Parkash is being written

ਅਧਯਾਯ ਪਹਿਲਾ

The First Adhyai

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

ਏਕੁੰਕਾਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਤਿਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਹੋਇ ।

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੇ ਫਤੇ ਵਿਘਨ ਵਿਨਾਸ਼ਨ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥

Couplet - The Guru is the form of the One Lord and through his grace does one realise the true form of God. God is continuously victorious and so are those who meditate on him also, for this reason God remove all obstacles and problems to enable this text from being completed.1.

ਕਬਿੱਤ ॥

ਤੀਨੋ ਲੋਕ ਬਰ ਦਾਨੀ, ਤੀਨੋ ਜਾਚੈਂ ਮਹਾਰਾਨੀ

ਤੀਨੋ ਤਾਪ ਹਾਨੀ, ਆਦਿ ਤੀਨੋ ਗੁਨ ਮੰਡਿਕਾ ।

ਤੀਨੋ ਕਾਲ ਮਾਨੀ, ਤੀਨੋ ਸ਼ਕਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨੀ ਤਵ

ਤੀਨੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਤਵਾਨੀ, ਤੀਨੋ ਗਾਨੀ ਬਰ ਬੰਡਿਕਾ ।

ਦੀਨੀ ਰਜਧਾਨੀ ਬੱਜ੍ਰ ਪਾਨੀ ਕੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਪਾਨੀ

ਜਾਨੀ ਮੈਂ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਸੁਖ ਖਾਨੀ ਖਲ ਖੰਡਿਕਾ ।

ਨਮੋ ਨਮੋ ਬਾਕ ਬਾਨੀ, ਜੋਤਿ ਬਿਦਤਾਨੀ

ਦਾਸ ਰਸਨਾ ਬਸਾਨੀ, ਜੈਤਿ ਜੈਤਿ ਮਾਤ ਚੰਡਿਕਾ ॥੨॥

Couplet - The Guru is the form of the One Lord and through his grace does one realise the true form of God. God is continuously victorious and so are those who meditate on him also, for this reason God remove all obstacles and problems to enable this text from being completed.1.

Kabit - O Saraswati (whose transcendent form is that of the pen) you are the one who is enabling me to write this enormous Granth. You are the one who gives knowledge in the three realms. The demons, the humans and the demi gods all are asking you for knowledge. You are the one who alleviates the three different types of pain and suffering. You are the one from the primal beginning who gives the three different virtues of Sato, Rajo and Tamo to the writers bringing them praise. You have been respected by the poets during the three phases of time. You are the three different types of power that bring about boons. You are the doer of the three duties of creation, sustenance and destruction. You are the one who has been praised by the poets in the three time periods as you are the granter of boons. You are the one who enables one to grasp a sword and the one who returned the rule over the demi gods and the heavens to Indar. You are the one who gives bliss to those who worship God and destroys others such as demons. I pay my salutations to you again and again Saraswati who is present within each and every being. You are the one who resides on the tongue of the poet Bhai Santokh Singh Ji, may you be forever praised who is the motherly power within creation. 2.

Done and done for the day

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

ਸਰਬ ਬਯਾਪੀ, ਨਿਤ ਨਯੋ; ਸਤਿ, ਚਿਤ ਆਨੰਦ ਰੂਪ ।

ਮੋ ਉਰ ਮੈਂ ਪ੍ਰਗਟੋ ਸਦਾ; ਜੋ ਚਰ ਅਚਰ ਅਨੂਪ ॥੩॥

Couplet - O Lord you are omnipresent throughout creation and never age or become old. You are the form of supreme truth, supreme consciousness and complete bliss. O Lord forever be radiant within my heart and remain present within me. 3.

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥

ਅੰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮ ਆਤਮਭੂ ਪਦਮਾਪਤਿ ਪੰਚ ਖਤੰਗ ਅਰਾਤੀ ।

ਬਾਯੁ ਬਿਨਾਯਕ ਬਾਯੁ ਸਖਾ ਬਨਰਾਇ ਬ੍ਰਿਖਾਬ੍ਰਿਖ ਸੈਲਨ ਪਾਤੀ ।

ਸ੍ਰੀਦਹਿ ਸੂਰ ਸਸੀ ਉਡ ਅੰਤਕ ਮਾਨਵ ਦਾਨਵ ਦੇਵ ਸੰਗਾਤੀ ।

ਬੰਦਨਤਾ ਕਰ ਬੰਦਨ ਕੈ ਨਿਤ ਆਨੰਦ ਕੰਦ ਮੁਕੰਦ ਜਿ ਖਯਾਤੀ ॥੪॥

Savaiya - O Lord you one, unique and without an equal. All the beings within creation pay their respects to you. The demi god Brahma pays his respects to you, The husband to Laxmi who is the demi god Vishnu pays his respects to you, the holder of the five arrows Kaamdev is also paying his respects to you along with Shiva. The element of wind, Ganesh, the element of fire, the element of water, the nature and the king of the demi gods Indar are all paying their respects to you and offering salutations. The demi gods such as Kuber, the sun, the moon, the stars, Dharamraaj who is the righteous king, the demons and demi gods along with their families stand with both of their hands folded pay their respects and salutations to the divine Lord. O God you are the root of all bliss like a cloud showering all with bliss. You are the granter of liberation and ever present. 4.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਪੁਰੁਸ਼ੋਤਮੰ ਪਰਮ, ਪਰਾਵਰ ਨਾਥ ।

ਯੁਗਲ ਚਰਨ ਮਮ ਬੰਦਨਾ ਧਰ ਪਰ ਧਰਿਕਰਿ ਮਾਥ ॥੫॥

Couplet - Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji you are greater then the greatest beings in creation. You are the leader (Nath) of the the greatest of beings to have ever lived including the demi gods. I pay my respect to the two holy feet of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji by placing my forehead to the earth in reverance to you. 5.

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥

ਬਰ ਚਾਰ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਬਰ ਚਾਰ

ਬਿਚਾਰ ਕੋ ਮੂਰ ਉਦਾਰ ਸੁਹਾਵੈਂ ।

ਉਪਕਾਰਿ ਸਖਾ ਸੁਖਕਾਰ ਸਦਾ

ਤਮ ਪਾਰ ਕਰੈਂ ਉਰ ਮੋਂ ਬਸ ਜਾਵੈਂ ।

ਅਘ ਜਾਲਨਿ ਤੇ ਜਮ ਜਾਲਿਨਿ ਤੇ

ਕਲਿ ਕਾਲਨ ਤੇ ਤਤਕਾਲ ਛੁਟਾਵੈਂ ।

ਅਰਬਿੰਦ ਬਿਖੇ ਗੁਨ ਏ ਸਭਿ ਹੋਹਿਂ

ਤਬੈ ਉਪਮਾ ਪਗ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਵੈਂ ॥੬॥

Savaiya - Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji a devotee is able to gain the four greatest virtues of Dharam (Religious action), Arth (Acquisition of wealth and worldly possessions), Kama (fulfillment and enjoyment of desires) and Moksh (liberation from the cycle of birth and death) from your holy feet. Your feet is the sanctuary from where deliberation takes place and one is able to propagate the radiance of knowledge within. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji were the great being who manifest on the earth for the assistance of others and forever granted a feeling of peace. Those people who are able to propagate the feet of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji within their heart will be able to eradicate their ignorance and safely swim across this worldly ocean to liberation. The feet of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji are able to eradicate the sins of an individual, the pain and suffering of Kaljug (the current age of ignorance) and the noose of death from the angel of death (Jamdhoot). Bhai Santokh Singh Ji says that if a person is to have all of the good virtues similar to a lotus blossom (This metaphor is given as a lotus blossom remains in the dirt but unaffected by its surroundings and focuses totally on the son, in the was a Sikh should be untouched by the surroundings and focus on the Guru) then only then can they propagate and gain the praise for the holy feet of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. 6.

A lot of bloggers just copy paste the Gurmukhi

The problem I would have is when you copy from a PDF it doesn't put it in unicode punjabi font. It will work if you have any other gurbani akhar font, the problem is that limits its use. Meaning, in unicode anyone can view it if they are on a PC (not to sure about Mac users), whereas if you have it in a specific punjabi font they will need to download the font, (think of how www.SikhitotheMax.com works, you have to download a font and install it to see the gurbani, instead of srigranth.org or sridasam.org where anyone can just go to the site and view gurbani).

Is there a way to convert a standard Gurbani Font into unicode punjabi?

Dalsingh i was trying to put the Gurmukhi text on but i just could not understand the Gurmukhi Unicode esp when youa re so used to using other Gurmukhi fonts. So i left it in the end. The other reason was that it would slow the completion of the work down.

Singh, what you need to do is install this as well http://www.mkhalsa.com/download/unitogl.html

That will change the standard unicode typing keyboard (which is impossible to use) to the standard gurbani font one that we use in Microsoft Word or in Sikhitothemax etc

BTW, Kam, be sure to modify the style to how you utilize the gurmukhi there, like if you want a line by line translation or just a passage translation like how i put it above. Personally I like the line by line translation, just copy and paste where you see fit. Also be sure to change up how it is written, I simply just typed it up off this site http://www.ik13.org/PDFS/Sri_Nanak_Parkash_1.pdf and kept the same way they had it, so you can take out commas etc by just deleting them like normal text it wont effect the rest of it.

You might want to change the stle of how its displayed as well, like instead of

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥

ਬਰ ਚਾਰ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਬਰ ਚਾਰ

ਬਿਚਾਰ ਕੋ ਮੂਰ ਉਦਾਰ ਸੁਹਾਵੈਂ ।

ਉਪਕਾਰਿ ਸਖਾ ਸੁਖਕਾਰ ਸਦਾ

ਤਮ ਪਾਰ ਕਰੈਂ ਉਰ ਮੋਂ ਬਸ ਜਾਵੈਂ ।

ਅਘ ਜਾਲਨਿ ਤੇ ਜਮ ਜਾਲਿਨਿ ਤੇ

ਕਲਿ ਕਾਲਨ ਤੇ ਤਤਕਾਲ ਛੁਟਾਵੈਂ ।

ਅਰਬਿੰਦ ਬਿਖੇ ਗੁਨ ਏ ਸਭਿ ਹੋਹਿਂ

ਤਬੈ ਉਪਮਾ ਪਗ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਵੈਂ ॥੬॥

maybe make it

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥

ਬਰ ਚਾਰ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਬਰ ਚਾਰ ਬਿਚਾਰ ਕੋ ਮੂਰ ਉਦਾਰ ਸੁਹਾਵੈਂ ।

ਉਪਕਾਰਿ ਸਖਾ ਸੁਖਕਾਰ ਸਦਾ ਤਮ ਪਾਰ ਕਰੈਂ ਉਰ ਮੋਂ ਬਸ ਜਾਵੈਂ ।

ਅਘ ਜਾਲਨਿ ਤੇ ਜਮ ਜਾਲਿਨਿ ਤੇ ਕਲਿ ਕਾਲਨ ਤੇ ਤਤਕਾਲ ਛੁਟਾਵੈਂ ।

ਅਰਬਿੰਦ ਬਿਖੇ ਗੁਨ ਏ ਸਭਿ ਹੋਹਿਂ ਤਬੈ ਉਪਮਾ ਪਗ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਵੈਂ ॥੬॥

Anyways the point is just that you can change anything by just fiddling around with it.

BTW I am going to be away for 3 weeks starting this thursday so I will be unable to type up Nanak Prakash for you during that time. I will however just type up as much as I can [i have limited time due to family prepartion and school preparation for my trip] and send it via facebook and you can simply just add it in. Hopefully I get 3 weeks done, but itll be hard because it seems like you are updating everyday !

Be sure to point out any mistakes there are in the gurmukhi, my apologizes if there are any mistakes

Edited by jvalasingh

Dalsingh i was trying to put the Gurmukhi text on but i just could not understand the Gurmukhi Unicode esp when youa re so used to using other Gurmukhi fonts. So i left it in the end.

Brother no problem. I appreciate the hard work!

• 1 month later...

Navjot you do not translate the workd word by word as they dont make sense the elaborate metaphors and similies make the lines longer and need elaborationexactly like when katha is done of a mantar like Ik Oankar it can go on for ages but it is just one symbol

Just a quick thing for the rest the blog has been updated with a new look thanks to Bhai Jvala Singh. please take a look currently we get only 20 hits a day!!!!

Shows how interested our community really is in scriptural accounts esp when there is no controversy as in the Sri Dasam or Sarbloh Granths.

The problem I would have is when you copy from a PDF it doesn't put it in unicode punjabi font. It will work if you have any other gurbani akhar font, the problem is that limits its use. Meaning, in unicode anyone can view it if they are on a PC (not to sure about Mac users), whereas if you have it in a specific punjabi font they will need to download the font, (think of how www.SikhitotheMax.com works, you have to download a font and install it to see the gurbani, instead of srigranth.org or sridasam.org where anyone can just go to the site and view gurbani).

Is there a way to convert a standard Gurbani Font into unicode punjabi?

http://punjabi.aglsoft.com/punjabi/converter/?show=text