Media Coverage Of Muslims In The Uk -- Urgent

amardeep

Gurfateh

Could anyone please tell me about the media coverage of muslims in the UK? For instance if a muslim robs a bank, is it the norm that it will be mentioned in the news afterwards, that it was a person with immigrant background who commited the robbery?

for instance where I live, muslims are demonised in the media which is one of the reason why integration has failed. Most danes fear muslims because all they hear about is muslims opress women, they are a menace to society and other negative articles focusing more on the person being a muslim, than the social reasons behind etc.

Are the media more neutral in UK ?

Edited by amardeep

I'd say the media representation of Muslims is more complex than that myself. Yes, on one side they do kiss their arse on the other they will also demonise them. I think this reflects the state of the public here to an extent, who have become somewhat polarised over Islam and immigration and sometimes conflate these issues.

Regarding Joe Public I think some think this is all exaggerated nonsense and the actions of the extremists are those of a small fringe but conspicuous minority. They will contend that the average Muslim here is not anything to do with terrorism and attempts to demonise the whole community is viewed as mischievious. People often call such people the 'lefty, liberal, bleeding hearts brigade - amongst other things! Others completely detest Islam and see it as a big threat to themselves and the nation and others detest all immigrants (especially nonwhite ones) and will use the perceived Islam threat as a 'clarion call' to mobilise the mob.

Seeing a bunch of wannable Muslim terrorists on the front pages of the papers is not uncommon. Curiously the country also went through a phase of interviewing the most kuttarh sullay on national television regularly?!! Be this the famous one eyed hook handed one (now in prison I think?), Omar 'Don't mention my daughter' Bakri (now deported) or more recently Anjem Chaudry (still at large!).

Silence is also right in that they usually use the term 'Asian' in referring to them which actually refers to a much wider group containing nonMuslims too.

for instance where I live, muslims are demonised in the media which is one of the reason why integration has failed. Most danes fear muslims because all they hear about is muslims opress women, they are a menace to society and other negative articles focusing more on the person being a muslim, than the social reasons behind etc.

Seems like the Danes are waking to the realities of having allowed a large number of workshy, misogynistic, homophobic and arrogant people into their country. It comes to something when traditionally open and tolerant societies have flipped 90 degrees amd become more and more right wing.

As for the media portrayal of Muslims, it ranges from the realistic 'undercover mosque' and generation jihad type expose programmes to the arse licking islam is a peaceful religion type bukwas programmes like 'Muslim Driving School' and 'Sharia Tv'

Gurfateh

The British are very good at saying what they don't want. They don't even recognise that they are actually a part of Europe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/sikhs-and-hindus-accuse-bbc-of-promuslim-bias-922482.html

Hindu and Sikh leaders have accused the BBC of pandering to Britain's Muslim community by making a disproportionate number of programmes on Islam at the expense of covering other Asian religions.

A breakdown of programming from the BBC's Religion and Ethics department, seen by The Independent, reveals that since 2001, the BBC made 41 faith programmes on Islam, compared with just five on Hinduism and one on Sikhism.

Critics say the disproportionate amount of programming is part of an apparent bias within the BBC towards Islam since the attacks of 11 September 2001, which has placed an often uncomfortable media spotlight on Britain's Muslims.