Question About Badaams (Almonds).

Matheen

If you have any young kids in the family (with chewing teeth!), it doesn't hurt to give them 4/5 skinned badaams a day (if they are not allergic). Traditionally (Ayurveda I guess) they are really good for brain development (Omega oils I think). They are also rich in protein which help muscle growth. Many give young ones skinned badaams in the run up to exams to assist memory recall. This needs to be done overtime and NOT considered some sort of overnight magic pill - this is because the right nutrients need to be built to sufficient levels over time.

As various posted articles say: Soak them overnight and you can remove the skin easily by 'pinching' them out.

They are garam with or without skin, (probably slightly less without skin. When you see the texture of the dried removed skins, you'll see that the digestive system would have to go into overdrive to absorb them!

I remember my mum giving us hot milk with a spoon full of almond oil which I thought was the height of grossness back then! lol

Personally I think using actual badaams is better than using the modern processed 'tayal' (oil) myself.

I think vegees could do with extra to make up for protein/omega oil shortages. But be warned too much will give you the usual side effects of 'garam' foods! i.e. the runs.

Edited by dalsingh101

As per Ayurveda: Skinned Badams are GARAM and DRY which is a deadly combination for health in negative sense.

Badams/Almonds can be taken in 2 different ways as follows:

1. Soak them in water at night. Eat them in the morning with or without skin. Best if you take them without skin.

2. Eat badam with dakha.

• 1 month later...

Here is a nice little tip for the bros. Roasted almonds.

If you get a frying pan add a tiny (and I mean tiny as in half a teaspoon) of vegetable oil and let it warm up slightly. Then add like half a cup/1 cup full of badaams in and toss around until they are all coated in a bit of tel.. Slowly roast them on a very low heat, shaking them up frequently to stop them burning and make sure they are cooked evenly all over..

Then when they start to darken in colour slightly, sprinkle in a good pinch of sea salt (healthier than normal noon), and carry on roasting on a low heat for a few mins. Then sprinkle in about half a teasponn of paprika and a good pinch of finely ground black pepper. Again let these roast for a few more minutes (like 3) and toss the pan frequently to ensuring even coating of spices.

Then, once they are nicely roasted, take out of pan on cold plate (to stop further cooking) and let cool for at least 15/20 minutes.

Hey presto, you will have a crispy flavoured badaams better than anything KP can make!

Not sure of how healthy they are though! lol

I like to soak them and in the morning just eat them by peeling off their skins. This is so tasty and very healthy. Raw is the best way to eat or make "Nut Milk" and drink it. I don't know what to say about roasted ones, they might be good for the taste but not for health...:)

Edited by bhooliya

I like to soak them and in the morning just eat them by peeling off their skins. This is so tasty and very healthy. Raw is the best way to eat or make "Nut Milk" and drink it. I don't know what to say about roasted ones, they might be good for the taste but not for health...:)

Other than the TINY bit of extra veg oil and the extra 'garamness' from the skins, I can't see how the roasted ones are any less healthy than unroasted ones? Unless roasting changes their nutritional properties somehow. I tell you they taste so nice, extra crisp and everything!

I tried making roasted ones with skinned almonds but they weren't all that.

I wanted to make the milk, shardai type thing but I can't find a cheese cloth anywhere. I went to Wilkinsons to find some but no luck.

Edited by dalsingh101

Interesting article on health benefits of badaams.

http://www.avianweb.com/almonds.html

• 3 years later...

Almonds have hot (garm) nature, but when eaten after putting in water for some hours, their nature is reversed. During summer days, almonds are eaten in Thandai, a drink. Around 20 to 50 almonds, five table spoons of Khaskhas (Poppy Seeds), two table spoons of Saunf (Aniseed), five to six Elaichi (Green Cordamom) are placed in a cup of fresh water for an hour or two. After sieving, peel off almonds, grind all these ingredients in a grinder. Add sufficient water, ice cubes, and sugar to it. Mix it well and drink in after noon. It cools you and your mind too.

In winter almonds are used to make Punjabi pinnies. Almond oil is used to massage scalp skin. The oil is rich in Vitamin A. Roasted almonds are also good for health as they contain proteins. Elderly people must eat handful of almonds daily, it increases their age positively.

• 10 years later...

Skin on badaam is useless and has no nutrition its like saying i want to eat a egg and also eat the shell.  Badam is low in fat and carbs and high in nutrition and protein it in the highest of all nuts...but both are garam taseer

On 2/1/2024 at 10:22 AM, PAL_07 said:

Skin on badaam is useless and has no nutrition its like saying i want to eat a egg and also eat the shell.  Badam is low in fat and carbs and high in nutrition and protein it in the highest of all nuts...but both are garam taseer

The unpeeled skin of almonds is rich in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin E, providing a nutritional powerhouse to support your well-being. Embrace the combination of soaked and unpeeled almonds in your diet to unlock their full nutritional potential and enjoy a healthier and happier you.