Has Anyone Managed To Remember Jap Ji Sahib By Heart?

Has anyone managed to remember Jap Ji Sahib by heart?

How long did it take?

Please share.

Don't remember how long it took, but to make it 'pukka', I wrote down the first line of each Paurri on a paper and carried that around with me. Whenever I got the chance, I would try to recite Jap Ji Sahib, and use the first lines to help remember the paath.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean completely knowing all akhar and lagamatra off by heart?

I meant being able to verbally recite the whole shabad without mistakes and looking at a gutka, not necessarily being able to write it.

This will sound reallly dumb I'm sure, but can anyone please tell me, what is the differences between reading santhiya style and Panjabi style?

I always thought Panjabi was a strict language in terms of the association between the phonemes (sounds) and the graphemes (the symbols or letters of the language). Does this consistency not apply when reading Gurbani? Does anyone know why?

Brother, a Bani like Japji Sahib can easily be memorised if you recite it 3 times a day. Once your speed increases then do 5 times and you will have it memorised in no time. Then do the same thing with the other Nitnemi Banis. Jaap sahib I think was the hardest to memorize.

• 11 years later...
On 3/15/2010 at 6:40 PM, dalsingh101 said:

How long did it take?

Please share.

How did you get on ?

Giani Thakur Singh Jee in Katha has said we should all try to memorise Gurbani as there will come times where written form will be difficult to access...

5 hours ago, Premi said:

How did you get on ?

Giani Thakur Singh Jee in Katha has said we should all try to memorise Gurbani as there will come times where written form will be difficult to access...

I agree. I haven't made much progress in memorising, I was probably better when I originally posted this. New year and that, time to get back on track with Guru ji's kirpa. 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

I agree. I haven't made much progress in memorising, I was probably better when I originally posted this. New year and that, time to get back on track with Guru ji's kirpa. 

I think that is a good reason why it's stressed to stick to routine, e.g. waking up and doing same Nitnem each day, otherwise one gets 'lazy' 

It might be better for you to listen to slow ucharan of Bani

This might be good (you could play it at 1.25 or 1.5 speed): http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/08-Gurbani Ucharan/Giani Thakur Singh Ji/Nitnem (Sehaj)/01-Jap Ji Sahib.mp3

Or this one http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/08-Gurbani Ucharan/Giani Thakur Singh Ji/Nitnem 7 Banis/01-Japji Sahib.mp3

18 minutes ago, Premi said:

I think that is a good reason why it's stressed to stick to routine, e.g. waking up and doing same Nitnem each day, otherwise one gets 'lazy' 

It might be better for you to listen to slow ucharan of Bani

This might be good (you could play it at 1.25 or 1.5 speed): http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/08-Gurbani Ucharan/Giani Thakur Singh Ji/Nitnem (Sehaj)/01-Jap Ji Sahib.mp3

Or this one http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/08-Gurbani Ucharan/Giani Thakur Singh Ji/Nitnem 7 Banis/01-Japji Sahib.mp3

It's been a really eventful twelve years since I originally posted this. A lot of forces and events to contend with, I'm not making excuses but in one way it's understandable why I fell off. But all that effort I made in the past means I can read it very well (with kirpa). I used Giani Thakur Singh's recordings to learn.

Last few years have been mental (mainly down to covid) really want to get back to my usual self this year, and plan too!  

19 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

It's been a really eventful twelve years since I originally posted this. A lot of forces and events to contend with, I'm not making excuses but in one way it's understandable why I fell off. But all that effort I made in the past means I can read it very well (with kirpa). I used Giani Thakur Singh's recordings to learn.

Last few years have been mental (mainly down to covid) really want to get back to my usual self this year, and plan too!  

Covid been less than two years...!

Agree though, they should just less the majority of people get on with their lives

On 3/15/2010 at 6:40 PM, dalsingh101 said:

How long did it take?

Please share.

I think repetitive listening is very helpful I heard a lot of it growing up from Mum, and also from Kirtan Sohila where there are shared/similar sections

Continue keeping it on in background when you are doing other tasks, when your head is covered