Indian Army Faces Massive Shortage Of Officers

kdsingh80

http://globalpolitician.com/26304-india

Indian Army faces Massive Shortage of Officers

Syed Ali Mujtaba, Ph.D. - 3/17/2010

The approval of the Union Government to open a second Officers' Training Academy (OTA) at Gaya in Bihar marks a major step to solve the problem of shortage of officers in the country.

The new academy will function on the similar lines as one that exists in Chennai. Initially the new Officers Training Academy at Gaya will commence the training of 250 cadets, but in due course of time it will be upgraded to its full design capacity to train 750 short-service commission officers annually.

At present the Indian Army has two training institutions; one, at the Indian Military Academy ,(IMA) Dehradun that annually churns out permanent commission officers. The other is Short Service Commission officers that are produced at the Officers Training Academy at Chennai.

IMA gets its cadets from the tri-Service National Defence Academy (NDA) at Khadakwasla, which is open to youngsters after class XII, as well as through the `direct entry' route open to college graduates.

The Officers Training Academy at Chennai is open to college graduates only are also struggling for students. In both the institutions students have to clear a very comprehensive test and this include physical endurance test as well.

As part of their force-restructuring to maintain a young profile and attract bright youngsters to their fold, the armed forces are gradually moving towards substantially increasing the number of short service commission officers in their ranks. The change in intake pattern will eventually lead to one is to two ratio, for Permanent Commission to Short Service Commission officers.

India Military Academy at Dehradun currently has a capacity to train 950 officers per year, while the Officers Training Academy at Chennai trains around 500 officers. The capacity at both these academies is also being expanded to train an additional 100 cadets each every year.

However, the National Defence Academy that enlists high school graduates and turns them into officers for the Navy, Air Force and also the Army, is struggling for students. The defence ministry records show just 190 students signed up this month against the academy's sanctioned strength of 300.

Incidentally, almost all the three wings of the armed forces in the country are short of officers. The Indian Army is short of around 11,400 officers. The Indian Navy is short of about 1,500 officers. The Indian Air Forces grapple with a shortage of about 1,400 officers.

The shortage of the Indian defence force officers becomes conspicuous when we cross check shortages of the officers with those of its prescribed strength.

The Indian Army has an authorized strength of 46,614 officers. The authorized strength of Indian Air Force is 12,136, whereas the Indian Navy has an authorized strength of 8,797 officers.

India's army, the world's fourth largest, is failing to attract enough youngsters with "officer-like qualities'' for its 1.13-million strong Army. The second is Indian Army is facing a massive exodus from its ranks, with more and more officers opting for premature retirement. The shortage of officers in the Indian defence forces is blamed on stress, low pay, slow promotions and the military's tough lifestyle.

Even though the salaries of armed forces have substantially increased after the 6th Pay Commission, the youngsters still find them less compared to the private sector. This consideration is put forth especially is one takes into the account of the life of a soldier which is tough and risky.

Then army has severe promotional bottlenecks. After entering the army, an entry level officer must wait up to 10 years before donning the flashes of a lieutenant-colonel. But even at that level the monthly basic salary does not exceed much. The other contributing factors are poor promotional avenues and frequent transfers that disrupt family life of the officers.

The traditional catchments area like; Punjab and Rajasthan for recruitment of Army officers have gone dry. Most of the families that have strong soldiers background have stopped sending their wards to the Amy schools and are keen to send them abroad have hampered the steady flow of the officers in the Indian Military service.

Added to it is the lack of interest of the Anglo- Indian and Muslim communities in joining the Indian Army that has resulted into the shortage of the officers in the armed forces. If we check the old records and compare with the recent ones the total desertions of these two communities from the armed forces is glaring.

We may like it or not, corruption has entered into the armed forces as well. Many talented recruits feel patriotism and valor the two cardinal features of the deference services are compromised with corruption coming into its ranks. This has resulted in keeping them away from the defense services.

Indian Army faces a dire shortage of officers because the booming private sector is recruiting the best talent. The private sector, which has been luring away India 's best talent by offering hefty wages and generous perks and the government and the services, simply cannot compete in matters of salary and perks with the corporate world.

The Indian Armed forces has enormous opportunities available outside the services. According to the defence ministry's Directorate of Resettlement, a third of the 3,000 officers who retire annually enlist in top Indian business schools. And the corporate world welcomes retiring military recruits with open arms.

This has left the military with poor pickings. Most of those applying are not the right material. Experts feel that the deficiencies should not be met by lowering the quality standards of the world's largest voluntary army.

India, which has fought three wars with Pakistan and a bloody border skirmish with China since its 1947 independence, has never turned to compulsory recruitment but such a move could be an option in future to meet the demand of the shortage of officers.

Compulsory military service could be one of the avenues before the government but at moment it’s not given much thought but sometime in the future such possibilities cannot to be ruled out.

However, skeptics feel that conscription is not the answer to the problem because it may lead to indiscipline, waywardness and desertions.

Nonetheless the recruitment issue has become an urgent priority for the army after 3,000 mid-level commanders recently sought early retirement on top of an existing shortage of 11,200 officers. The army needs a total of 46,615 officers.

How this anomaly is going to be resolved needs to be seen in the new policies that are going to be evolved by the government in the course of time. The only good news is thanks to India 's billion-plus population and high unemployment, the 1.23-million-strong army has no shortages in the lower ranks.

LET THE BUDHA DAL TAKE COMMAND...WE CAN ALSO GET IN THE NAGA SADHUS.

NIHANGS AND NAGA SADHUS CAN BE A DIVINE AND THE MOST DREADED COMBO IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND

Indian Army is not facing the shortage of Soldiers.Infact bribe rate for being a soldier is quite High as corruption is their in Army.All they are facing shortage of educated Officers Which are not at all interested in Joining Army because Educated people have more brains than brawn and they run crazily after money

Indian Army is not facing the shortage of Soldiers.Infact bribe rate for being a soldier is quite High as corruption is their in Army.All they are facing shortage of educated Officers Which are not at all interested in Joining Army because Educated people have more brains than brawn and they run crazily after money

The solution is simple, promote the cream of the soldiers to officers?

India will get caught out by some outside force soon, if this is the state of its fauj.

The solution is simple, promote the cream of the soldiers to officers?

India will get caught out by some outside force soon, if this is the state of its fauj.

I have read this idea on some forums too .I personally think it is a good idea but army is not implementing it.

may be because soldiers are mainly selected on their physical capabilities. They barely need high school

certificate while Officers are inducted mainly for their officer like qualities with graduation or doing Graduation with army.may be it is quite difficuilt to train a pendu soldier to be a officer

I have read this idea on some forums too .I personally think it is a good idea but army is not implementing it.

may be because soldiers are mainly selected on their physical capabilities. They barely need high school

certificate while Officers are inducted mainly for their officer like qualities with graduation or doing Graduation with army.may be it is quite difficuilt to train a pendu soldier to be a officer

Some percentage (however small) of soldiers must have brains....surely! But then again..I know the UK commonly takes on the academically lowest achieving Brits as soldiers, so maybe India is doing the equivalent?

Thing is, an experienced soldier with charisma would make an excellent officer. But I know here such things often involve aspects of the class system and people recruited in higher rank positions appeart to come from higher socio-economic brackets than than a common soldier.

I was and wasn't surprised at the original article you posted. So Panjabis are now boycotting armed service in India. Given the last few decades and the politics between Punjab and Delhi, it isn't shocking. Indian history is full of examples of what happens to the militarily incapable, when you have aggressive neighbours. Looks like history may repeat itself. I wouldn't care but for the fact that our people are not geographically in the best position for all this.

Edited by dalsingh101

I was and wasn't surprised at the original article you posted. So Panjabis are now boycotting armed service in India. Given the last few decades and the politics between Punjab and Delhi

Actually Punjabi's are not boycotting they are just not interested in armed forces as the career in Armed force is not at all lucrative.Army need's best talent

and with the entry of MNc's the pay packet they offer to them is much higher what army offer to them.Moreover the favourate thing of sikhs, chance migrating outside to India is very high With MNCs .

If this news is not good for India then it is also not good for sikhs too as it shows the martial quality of sikhs have now gone.They too like others just prefer money ,like bania's

What is a MNC?

You know training young nihungs wouldn't be a bad bet right now.

Edited by dalsingh101

What is a MNC?

You know training young nihungs wouldn't be a bad bet right now.

MNC means Multi National companies.The Dream job of every youngster is working with them.

As far nihungs are concerned if they really want they should educate themself first and then appear for army selection tests.I don't think that GOI will approach any particular group

MNC means Multi National companies.The Dream job of every youngster is working with them.

Been there, done it, got the Tshirt. Seriously over-rated in my opinion. lol

I must add: I don't think Nihungs are really that interested in modern warfare these days anyway. They seem more bhagti inclined. It would be smart of them to volunteer some bhujangis who can then come back and bring some of the physical, shaster/ashtar training back to the dals.

Would they pass the physical tests though and can the army accommodate things like sarbohi rehat? Just thinking out loud.

Edited by dalsingh101

THEY WOULD NEED TO QUIT SUKH NIDHAAN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS :P

Why are you shouting? Have you not discovered the joys of the Caps Lock button yet my brother?

Anyway, I know they wont, but if nihangs actually did some modern training, it would do them a world of good. Laying off the ganja for a bit wouldn't hurt neither...lol. Let's be honest, I don't think they are really serious about the military thing in a contemporary context, so the chances of them doing some modern training is pretty slim.

Edited by dalsingh101

Would they pass the physical tests though and can the army accommodate things like sarbohi rehat? Just thinking out loud.

Physical tests for joining army is quite low in India.

They have even allowed women with very low physical standards,much lower than men.All they need is officer like qualities to lead.So Nihangs need to modernise themself than joining army on basis of physical standards

As far as Rehat is concerned I am afraid they can't.Allowing to much religion to a particular community could Give birth to many disputes.EG A hardcore Brahmin officer don't want to Eat from hand of Dalit.A hardcore muslim may want his halal food only cooked by muslim and list goes and on

Nihangs are saint warriors. If it was a Sikh nation or Sikh Raaj then it would make sense Nihangs joining the army of a Sikh Raaj, but what would they be fighting for if they joined the Indian army of today? They would basically be fighting for Delhis centralised interests.

Besides there is too much corruption in the Indian army. You need sipharish/connections just to get into the academy. My cousin was a star athlete and academically a topper in college, yet he was not accepted when he gave an interview, later we found out from some insider that if he was well connected to someone influential(sipharish) then he would not have gotten rejected.

Besides Indians are still suffering from an inferiority complex from the Angrej. Knowing Hindi is not enough to get into army academy, you have to be well versed in English. I doubt Nihangs would have accepted.

Best thing for Nihangs to do is to start training in modern warfare with modern weapons. Swinging stick and swords around is good to keep old tradition alive, but its not going to do anything in a situation where the opponent has guns. Look at our traditional enemies, the Pathans of the NW frontier and Afghanistan, they have kept alive their martial prowess yet train in modern warfare and we are stuck swinging sticks.

Edited by Mithar

Well said Mithar veer ji.

But i think that if our Fauj gets control, there will be KHALSA RAAJ. Those sipharish babus will get a nice whack of the soti on their big fat asses. :D

The time will come when the Dharam of Hindustan will be the Kshatri Dharam of the Akali Nihang singh Khalsa.

96 CRORE WE SHALL BE, THE RISE OF KHALSA WE SHALL SEE.

ROOP GOBIND DA,

RAAJ KHALSE DA,

SIKKA SONE DA.

My cousin was a star athlete and academically a topper in college, yet he was not accepted when he gave an interview, later we found out from some insider that if he was well connected to someone influential(sipharish) then he would not have gotten rejected.

Indian army searches for some special qualities no doubt sifarish could work but with present situation,no

craze among youths and extreme shortage they simply can't rely on sifarish.Many times this questions was raised that Indian army should lower its standard but they always refused it.Being academically a topper or star athlete could not gurantee a career in Army unless they found OFFIcer like qualities in you

As far as Rehat is concerned I am afraid they can't.Allowing to much religion to a particular community could Give birth to many disputes.EG A hardcore Brahmin officer don't want to Eat from hand of Dalit.A hardcore muslim may want his halal food only cooked by muslim and list goes and on

India makes me laugh.

I think the British army actual accommodates for different diets i.e halal etc. Historically they allowed Singhs jhatka.

When you do anything in India all sorts of behams come to the fore! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

isnt that good ? atleast it doesnt make anyone cry like pakistan or afghanistan

Ha ha!

Thing is, if Afghanus or Paks ever troubled India, we'd probably be crying then, due to their ineptness. Panjab is pretty much undefended by these bewakoofs.

India makes me laugh.

Actually Life in India is much more luck dependent than hard work dependent.My brother recently went through a placement process in MNC software company through campus recruitment.Company came to their campus for mass hiring.One of his friend who did very well in the all the rounds was quite sure getting through it.When results came my brother and all his friends were selected except that guy.Everybody in their college was quite shocked for the non inclusion of that guy because many

students much worse than him got selected.There was not even a single answer to anyone why that guy was left out except Luck

Edited by kdsingh80

India makes me laugh.

I think the British army actual accommodates for different diets i.e halal etc. Historically they allowed Singhs jhatka.

When you do anything in India all sorts of behams come to the fore! lol

Jhatka/halal is fine I think they allow it to muslim and sikh soldiers.What i mentioned is that if they want to keep sarblohi rehat or something like that then it could become difficult

BTW Indian army is only army in world that allow sikhs to even become fighter pilots with beards.USA don't even allow sikhs to even become civilian pilots with beards.So sikhs in Indian army already have much concession

KDS@#22: Crazy. Still no concept of meritocracy.

Jaikaara: Your last post is true and scarey, sad thing is that Panjab is likely to become a battleground in all this (after Kashmir of course).

Edited by dalsingh101

KDS@#22: Crazy. Still no concept of meritocracy.

Jaikaara: Your last post is true and scarey, sad thing is that Panjab is likely to become a battleground in all this (after Kashmir of course).

If the taliban win in Afghanistan I can see how the Kashmiri Jihadis (who are in fact mostly Pakistanis) will renew their Jihad, also the Naxalites are a major problem in India. But Pakistan is also having a hard time fighting it's own Jihadis in NW frontier and Baloch freedom fighters. So perhaps both India and Pakistan may have a change in borders. When the Shyt hits the fan, Sikhs should also be prepared, which is why training in modern weapons and warfare is so important.