Bhai Nand Lal Daata

Shamshere Pita Guru Gobind Singh whilst adorning his heavenly darbaar, was daily served his langar by devotee par excellence, Bhai Nand Lal. Bhai Nand Lal Ji always prepared and served Sat-Gurus langar with the purest love and concentration on Sat-Gurus holy charan. Guru Ji himself, recieved this divine langar with gratitude and always gave clear thanks to Akaal Purkh.

One day, whilst starting to eat langar, Sat-Guru noticed a pigeon sitting not so far away, looking at him. Bhai Nand Lal Ji noticed also and watched the drama. Sat-Guru smiled, and the roti they were about to consume, gently threw it towards the path of the pigeon. Bhai Nand Lal Ji noticed that in gratitude, the pigeon came forward spoke to Sat-Guru with his eyes, took the piece of roti, and walked away.

The next day, Sat-Guru was served langar by another Gursikh sevadaar. Sat-Guru said "where is my Nand Lal, why has he not shown me his kindness today..", the sevadaar spoke "Nand Lal Ji did indeed prepare the Kings langar with pure devotion, but then asked me to come and serve.." Sat-Guru listened, and knowingly acknowledged. He tore off some roti and bringing it to his mouth, noticed Bhai Nand Lal Ji sitting in the same spot where the pigeon was sat the previous day.

"Nand Lal Ji, why do you sit down there, you are all knowing, you are a Vidyaguru/Brahmgiani, come and take your rightful place here, next to me". Nand Lal Ji remained silent. Guru Ji left his langar and walked down towards his devotee, he held him gently by his arm and asked him to get up.

"My King of Kings, yesterday, I observed how the pigeon came to your charan with a need/benti, you, being the daata, fulfilled the pashus desire. I, today, also come to your charan with need/benti", Bhai Nand Lal repeated with tears streaming out of his eyes..

Sat-Guru spoke "Nand Lal, you came to Guru Nanaks holy feet as a begger, today you are no longer the begger, you are the giver, you are the daata of Guru Nanaks Darbaar, you are my daata".

It's said that Sat-Guru used to leave some langar for the birds and dogs at a certain spot everyday near the darbaar, and to increase his humility and let his ishque manifest, Bhai Nand Lal would always go and take some of those blessed givings and consume them as parsaad.

We read the great Bhai Nand Lal Jis mystical bani, and bow our heads at his self given title "dog of dogs", but no not, that these were not just mere words, they were the words of pure hearted devotee, and were derived from actions of the highest of order, of nimrata and prem.

Dhan Dhan Bhai Nand Ji Maharaj.

Edited by shaheediyan

• 1 month later...