17 Indians Mostly Sikhs On Death Row In Sharjah

http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/families-of-17-indians-on-death-row-seek-govt-help-18882.php

Seventeen Indians have been sentenced to death for killing a Pakistani national in Sharjah in January last year in a scuffle over illegal liquor in which one person died and three others were injured. Kuldeep Singh and Ravinder Singh from Punjab are among the 17 on death row.

The Sharjah courts have awarded the death sentence based on DNA reports and eyewitness accounts. Their families say they are innocent. They want the Indian government to intervene and help them get their sons back.

Foreign minister S M Krishna has promised to give the Indians accused consular assistance and other ways to appeal in higher court

Not sure about these guys, but its no big secret that 'Singha' are big time deals in intoxicants in Pakistan and Punjab. In 1991 whilst on a Yatra, my mum saw a group of them unashamedly dealing at Nankana Sahib. No one batted an eye lid. They buy drugs in Pakistan and sell them to youth in India. And sell Indian liquor in Pakistan.

Not sure about these guys, but its no big secret that 'Singha' are big time deals in intoxicants in Pakistan and Punjab. In 1991 whilst on a Yatra, my mum saw a group of them unashamedly dealing at Nankana Sahib. No one batted an eye lid. They buy drugs in Pakistan and sell them to youth in India. And sell Indian liquor in Pakistan.

Do You really Think that for 1 murder 17 guys should be awarded Death sentence?

Btw 1 guy whose story today I heard was just a Driver

and He was realeased after interogation When he was coming back to India ,then He was arrested at Airport again and now he is one victims.

There are several punishments for selling illegal liqiuor .Death is not one of them

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/view/24696/38/

Badal seek PM's intervention to ensure justice for Punjabi youth on death row in UAE

Punjab Newsline Network

Thursday, 01 April 2010

By Kanwal Preet kaur

CHANDIGARH: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal sought an immediate intervention of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh over the media reports regarding death sentence to 17 Indian youth including 16 from Punjab alone, who have been sentenced to death by Sharjah Court in UAE on the charge of murder of a Pakistani citizen.

In a letter to the Prime Minister, Badal urged him to intervene immediately by using his good offices with the UAE government to ensure justice for the young boys.

Badal pointed that 17 persons had been convicted for a single murder and therefore, we have to be more cautious to see that there was no ‘miscarriage of justice’.

The Chief Minister also requested the Prime Minister to advise the Ministry of External Affairs to provide necessary legal aid for defending their appeals.

The Chief Minister also revealed that Punjabi labourers and skilled workers had worked day and night during last 25 years for the infrastructure development in UAE and other Middle East countries.

He also mentioned that all these Punjabi youth were the sole breadwinners of their respective families and most of these families had mortgaged their small landholdings to arrange their work visa in UAE.

Moreover, certain communal organizations in the country were trying to give it communal colour to instigate the masses, added Badal.

i dont know what this bloddy govt will do..yaar lets try to contact the sangat there and get into the real matter, i know a lot of non sikhs there but lets see if we can get the real news.

paki and dubai relationship is much better, i have guys in kuwait who tell me that things can get biased.

the pakis do all the mess and then reach the mullahs who can tilt the verdict more easily

Talk about sterotyping. How is it that you are quick to defend Muslims when someone stereotypes them but like a true hypocrite you have written the above when you have no clue what the truth of the allegations against these guys are. I suppose Jews are not the only ones to have self haters in their ranks.

Feel better now Tony.

I was simply presenting a 'factual observation' regarding this very subject, as opposed to speculation or person opinion, I passed no comments on these Singhs, unlike you, I don't actually know if they are guilty or not, only that 'Singhs' are very well known for dealing in liquer and drugs on both sides of the border.

Seriously though Shaheediyan, you seem to have bundles of empathy/apathy for other communitites but abject disdain for much of your own sometimes.

Besides, if we took UAE's example here in the UK, we'd be mass executing Paks for their heavy involvement in the drugs trade over here, especially 'browns' or smack or whatever it is called aj kal.

Edited by dalsingh101

The Indian government is hopeless and useless when it comes to protecting the rights of NRIs. Indian’s can be massacred by foriegn government’s, India barely does a thing to protect Indians, like how when people in Fiji started rioting against Indians and held hostage the PM of Fiji who was of Indian origin, or when South Indians are being discriminated and persecuted in Malasia, or when Tamils were recently being massacred in Sri Lanka.

The Indian government is hopeless and useless when it comes to protecting the rights of NRIs. Indian’s can be massacred by foriegn government’s, India barely does a thing to protect Indians, like how when people in Fiji started rioting against Indians and held hostage the PM of Fiji who was of Indian origin, or when South Indians are being discriminated and persecuted in Malasia, or when Tamils were recently being massacred in Sri Lanka.

Indian Media has already launched a campaign For rescuing lives of these people.On many places people

are protesting and putting pressure on Govt to Rescue.

Now Its time for sikh organisations in UK,USA,Canada

to ask their governments to put pressure so that lives of many these people could be saved

Now Its time for sikh organisations in UK,USA,Canada to ask their governments to put pressure so that lives of many these people could be saved

Many British people are pretty hatefilled about their own minorities right now, I don't think they'd give a toss about another countries.

"Seriously though Shaheediyan, you seem to have bundles of empathy/apathy for other communitites but abject disdain for much of your own sometimes."

I don't have abject disdain or empathy for any community - I actually try and see all people as one race, I simply judge individuals on their actions.

It's no mystery that 'many' Muslim countries hold the death sentance for people dealing in drugs/alchohol, including their own people.

As I said, I didn't pass judgement on anyone.

"Besides, if we took UAE's example here in the UK, we'd be mass executing Paks for their heavy involvement in the drugs trade over here, especially 'browns' or smack or whatever it is called aj kal."

Again, I make these comments because the accusations are always one way, no one here looks at their own community before critisising others. Who runs the 'drugs' trade on the West coast of US and CA? I'll give you a clue, not Pakistanis. In my younger years, I have sadly personally known quite a few people from Sikh origin that have been 'big time' drug dealers in various parts of the UK, may surprise you, but they all dealt with their Jamaican and Pak counterparts with much love. In reality, crime does not care about communities - criminals are all one big happy family, irrelevant of the 'community' act they may put on. American History X although a movie, tells an excellent truth on this subject. Everyone blames everyone else but is blind to their own faults - on an individual and community level.

As for laws in Muslim countries, thats their business. If people don't like them, then don't go/live there. I like the laws in the UK, hence I live here, when I don't like them, I will consider moving. I have met plenty of people including Iraqis, Iranians, Afghans and Pakistanis who hate the legal system, and some even hate Islam, they have decided to leave their respective countries, and set up a modern/freer lifestyle here, thats what people do.

Look, we can be equally critical of our own community as others. Replace the word 'can' with 'should' in the previous sentence. That includes self constructive-criticism btw.

You should also apply some more critical thought to nihungs, you seem to have a blind spot there.

As I have said before, I judge individuals, not groups.

Funnily enough, nearly all Nihangs I have met have been totally amazing, rehitvaan and passionate individuals. But I am not blind. Ajit Singh Phoola will always be a nasty stain on the Nihang tradition.

As for laws in Muslim countries, thats their business. If people don't like them, then don't go/live there. I like the laws in the UK, hence I live here, when I don't like them, I will consider moving

Do you think large number of people in India have choice about where to live or work?When people have hungry mouths to feed or old parents to take care of

then whatever oppurtunity available to them they have to take it.Its called majboori.

BTW if France or any other countries will make anti muslim laws and tell same thing what you are saying that if muslim don't like it then they should move out ,then will you support them

Edited by kdsingh80

As for laws in Muslim countries, thats their business. If people don't like them, then don't go/live there. I like the laws in the UK, hence I live here, when I don't like them, I will consider moving. I have met plenty of people including Iraqis, Iranians, Afghans and Pakistanis who hate the legal system, and some even hate Islam, they have decided to leave their respective countries, and set up a modern/freer lifestyle here, thats what people do.

Presumably then you would have no problem, as another veer ji has queried, with France deciding to ban the burqa and the dastaar, and similarly you see nothing wrong with the Nazi extermination of Jews in Europe (after all, it was German land, and the Jews could just have packed up and moved elsewhere), or indeed the Mughal government of India butchering Sikhs and martyring our Gurus since presumably you feel they should have just gotten on a plane and come to the UK to work in a factory for minimum wage?

Seriously, Singh, I didn't want to say this, but for all your protestations about the human race being a single race, it's clear that you choose to think the worst of your own people based on the stereotype of Punjabis in parts of the States and Canada all being drug dealers and prefer to ignore the fact that most terrorists are of the Islamic persuasion.

That you claim to believe in the oneness of the human race yet you seem to have no difficulty reconciling this belief with the fact that Sharia law discriminates against women, children and non-Muslims is pretty odd and repulsive.

I find your hypocrisy and self-hatred more depressing than offensive. I hope you sort it out if only because the Panth is doomed if there are many chardikala Singhs like you who think this way.

Presumably then you would have no problem, as another veer ji has queried, with France deciding to ban the burqa and the dastaar, and similarly you see nothing wrong with the Nazi extermination of Jews in Europe (after all, it was German land, and the Jews could just have packed up and moved elsewhere), or indeed the Mughal government of India butchering Sikhs and martyring our Gurus since presumably you feel they should have just gotten on a plane and come to the UK to work in a factory for minimum wage?

Seriously, Singh, I didn't want to say this, but for all your protestations about the human race being a single race, it's clear that you choose to think the worst of your own people based on the stereotype of Punjabis in parts of the States and Canada all being drug dealers and prefer to ignore the fact that most terrorists are of the Islamic persuasion.

That you claim to believe in the oneness of the human race yet you seem to have no difficulty reconciling this belief with the fact that Sharia law discriminates against women, children and non-Muslims is pretty odd and repulsive.

I find your hypocrisy and self-hatred more depressing than offensive. I hope you sort it out if only because the Panth is doomed if there are many chardikala Singhs like you who think this way.

very good. important issues are Dharma, rule of law and what if rule of law contradicts Dharma? answers are very clear.

Waheguru.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/apr/03/govt-to-provide-legal-help-to-17-indians-on-death-row.htm

UAE: Govt to provide legal help to 17 Indians on death row

The Indian consulate in Sharjah has been talking to prominent lawyers to provide legal assistance to seventeen Indians on the death row.

Government sources said that the authorities in Sharjah have been meeting prominent lawyers to seek their assistance and the appeal to the higher court will be made within the prescribed period of two weeks from the date of judgment by the lower court.

The Indians have pleaded not guilty and they are in good health, the sources confirmed.

Earlier, relatives of the 17 Indians on death row, who are mainly from Punjab [ Images ], had demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's [ Images ] intervention to rescue them from the gallows. Relatives claim that the convicts are being framed.

IExternal Affairs Minister S M Krishna [ Images ] has also assured support to the 17 Indians, who were sentenced to death for killing a Pakistani national in UAE, saying New Delhi [ Images ] will stand by them if they appeal in a higher court.

Death sentence to 17 Indians subject to appeal: UAE

April 05, 2010 10:48 IST

Amid concerns in New Delhi [ Images ] over the capital punishment given to 17 Indians in Sharjah, the United Arab Emirates [ Images ] on Monday said its legal system guarantees a fair trial and the death sentence is subject to appeal and annulment by the rule of law, without any interference from the parties concerned.

"The UAE embassy in New Delhi has been following press reports with regard to convicted Indian nationals in Sharjah. Death penalty in the UAE's legal system is subject to appeal by the rule of law without any interference from the parties. We fully trust our legal system and its procedures and we are sure that it will provide and guarantee a fair trial to the convicted," the UAE embassy in New Delhi said in a statement.

Moreover, the court (in UAE) provides lawyers for those unable to get legal help themselves and gives them the right and the means to defend themselves in court, the embassy said.

Seventeen Indians were sentenced to death on March 29 by a Sharjah Shariah court for allegedly killing a Pakistani and leaving three others injured in an attack last year.

External Affairs Minister S M Krishna [ Images ] has termed as 'very unfortunate' the death sentence given to 17 Indians and has instructed his ministry to assist them in filing an appeal and also bear all the expenses involved.