Do You Think This Could Be True?

Look, we are living in a new milieu. We are a global community which are increasingly in touch with each other like we are on this forum. If any of you haven't twigged onto the importance of numbers in most globally accepted political systems, then, I'm sorry to say your consciousness must be quite dimmed. It's imperative we realise and act on this in terms of our miri side. We only have to look at how black people (and others) in the US mobilised to get Obama in power and give us a rest from neocon warmongering closet white supremacists to see how powerful this can potentially be.

It is absolutely to our advantage to form a strong presence locally (wherever we are) as well as globally. This is the job of the new generation of Sikh leaders, not the usual Gurdwara level brawling. We should strive to rehabilitate those who have been alienated when the fault does lay within the panth to some extent, even if this is due to the gradual dominance of a more Panjabicentric dispositions over time to the detriment of a more inclusive Khalsacentric vision.

To you young ones out there, I say we have an opportunity in our hand that we shouldn't miss. I'm never one to espouse our people being pussies but whatever happened to Singhs winning people off with their warmth? We are like some constantly angry insular tribe these days? Seriously it seems like people get caught in caste based positions so much that they miss the bigger picture and vision.

Edited by dalsingh101

If any of you haven't twigged onto the importance of numbers in most globally accepted political systems, then, I'm sorry to say your consciousness must be quite dimmed.

So glad to see that. I have felt this for many moons, this is one of the main reasons we lost Nankana Sahib.

I'm never one to espouse our people being pussies but whatever happened to Singhs winning people off with their warmth?

Lol. I hope that is not your warmth speaking.

Lol. I hope that is not your warmth speaking.

I'm incapable of it, but at least I'm not in denial about that. When you have this knowledge you can at least make the decision to put a more diplomatic person up front. lol

I'm incapable of it, but at least I'm not in denial about that. When you have this knowledge you can at least make the decision to put a more diplomatic person up front. lol

yes diplomacy is where a great deal of us fall. I think with the newer generation this will not be such a problem.

yes diplomacy is where a great deal of us fall. I think with the newer generation this will not be such a problem.

Sadly, some of our wannabe diplomatics confuse sycophancy for diplomacy, especially when it comes to goray. This thing needs to sorted out pretty swiftly too.

DalSinghJi, I know this is slowly getting off topic but I would like your view of the Sikh panth regarding vienna incident. Do you feel Sikh Leadership (sgpc/badal dal) were diplomatic or sycophantic in their approach towards dalits?

Phwoar....let's tred this minefield....

I don't think they were sycophantic in this case myself, I think they were (for a change) rightly diplomatic. It's in all Sikhs' interest to have harmonious inter-communal relations in our homeland. However you may feel about it, those people are Panjabis too. Despite the exaggerated shrill cries from some, those protests seemed quite mild (compared to what rampaging Panjabis can get up to!) and petered out pretty quickly. I've seen more violent, threatening behaviour at bhangra gigs and family get togethers growing up, put it that way.

I don't think dalits as a whole have any issues with Sikhi or Sikhs. I think they have issues with the longstanding, almost inbred detestation they are frequently on the receiving end of. I've seen my own family at it, as well as umpteem examples on visits back home before the denialists step in. I don't believe they (dalits) have some agenda against us, rather they are trying to uplift themselves and voice their position and thoughts, which have long been suppressed. And yes, it does appear that certain groups are trying to uphold a hegemony on Sikh institutes to me. Despite that, having Panjabis rampaging against each other is counter productive so I would say Badal's appeal for peace was good, whatever agenda he may be following.I'm no peacenik but if it was one of our guys who shot the old baba, I don't agree with it. If you look at our itihaas, Dasmesh Pita could have very easily instructed Singhs to 'knock off' the dodgy fake Gurus that had formed their own movements in early Khalsa days, but he didn't, he mainly advocated a total social boycott as seen in extant rahits. There is something we can learn from that.

I think a clearer example of sycophancy from Badal/SGPC would be the way they have no qualms about cosying up to RSS and other hardcore Hindu orgs who even deny us an independent identity or dodgy deray! I saw him and his son in a picture with that Gurheem Abdul Deepak (whatever his name is) fool who tried to do his own dodgy pink nakali 'amrit' ceremony, which says a lot about his judgment.