Can Anyone Explain The Purpose Of Tying Such A Large Dastaar?

dalsingh101

Can anyone explain the purpose of tying such a large dastaar? Is it an achievement?

Can anyone explain the purpose of tying such a large dastaar? Is it an achievement?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of having such a huge car parked outside people's houses?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of having 10 room houses with 1 person living in it?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of having tons of jewellery on your body when your soul is filthy as hell?

Can anyone explain to me what do we need more than 2 pieces of clothes, 2 rotis a meal and a roof under the head?

Not directed to you dal sahib jee, im just rambling emmi hi, ignore my bakwaas jeo

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of having such a huge car parked outside people's houses?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of having 10 room houses with 1 person living in it?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of having tons of jewellery on your body when your soul is filthy as hell?

Can anyone explain to me what do we need more than 2 pieces of clothes, 2 rotis a meal and a roof under the head?

Not directed to you dal sahib jee, im just rambling emmi hi, ignore my bakwaas jeo

So your point is that it may be pointless faalthooness as illustrated by the other examples in your list?

Edited by dalsingh101

I believe Nihang Major Singhs reason for wearing such a big dastar is in order to inspire the youth to wear even a small dastar, in times where many younger generations are cutting their kesh or shyin away from wearing a dastar. Traditionally large turbans were never worn by Nihangs, apart from in defiance of the British when they came to Punjab. This can be seen by several photographs of Babas with tall dumallas with huge gajgas on them.

"So your point is that it may be pointless faalthooness as illustrated by the other examples in your list?"

Learn to read deeper. The point is that people are driven by their desires i.e. to have a bigher house, better car blah blah.

Nihang Baba Major Singh is driven by his love for Guru Gobind Singh and Khalsa Roop, he is a walking Nishaan Sahib, a living statement, his dastaar is simply a manifestation of his inner-most love, for his Guru.

The falthoo examples you cite are the same, peoples (particularly Punjabis) external expression of their innermost desires - greed, pride, status etc.

I believe in times of british raaj, the Nihangs were targeted and hunted as they were vehemently opposed to the angrez billa, the nihangs would wear extra tall large dumalla to basically stick two fingers up at their enemy,and show their defiance of injustice, and status of their own independence (raaj). A testament of the bravery and courage instilled by Guru Maharaj, a sign of their pride of being a part of the beautiful and elegant Khalsa, the sons of Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj, a great privilege bestowed by our compassionate Guru King of Kings.

What a shame that nowadays we feel uncomfortable or meek, we can't even wear a tiny turban or head covering in public. So the wearing of the large dastaar is shouting from the rooftops the sense of gratitude of pride, the affirmation of the Khalsa, hailing Guru Bana, the lion sons of Maharaj Guru Gobind Singh. It is a silent but powerful message to the wavering and doubting Sikhs to inherit the treasure of their GurPita and their ancestors and become Singhs of Dasmesh Pita!

Gaj ke jakhare gajawe so fateh paveh

SAT SRI AKAAAAAAAL !

• 5 months later...

the bigger the jhoora the bigger the paag-

Nihangs would carry arms in there dastars so they had loads and loads in bigger dastars (BARE SHASTARS- minimum dhamalla rehat being 5 shastars although they had much much much more). Also its more protection for your head, if someone wacks you on it as well as horse riding, if you fall of the horse your still good to go.

In ancient Rajistan the more socially higher a person was (caste-money-kings), the bigger that persons turban would be - I am assuming with many other aspects of rajistan culture entering punjab and into Sikhs this was probably one of those things it was usually people within that culture of lower castes who wore smaller turbans.

Like servants would have very tiny turbans, while lords had massive turbans. All around world bigger head dresses were associated with people of more power. Guess some people feel more sardar- sardari comes from character, principle, moral and ethics more.

I would say in my own opinion one needs to have a respectable size- you cant have a huge boat on your head and same time you cant be wearing a hat like turban

Big turbans were not only admired by Hindus but also by Muslims, there loads of paintings of ancient turkish people and other muslims with HUGE turbans-

"At the day of the judgement, a man shall receive a light for each turn of the turban round his head."

Prophet Muhammad

as well as saying

"The turban is a frontier between faith and unbelief."

"My community shall not fall away so long as they wear turban."

"Wear turbans, for thus you will gain in generosity."

"Wear turbans and thus distinguish yourselves from the peoples who came before you."

The neel of nihangs has significance both in hinduism and islam- from islam there are still sufi sects who wear purely blue- when Guru Nanak went to mecca he wore all blue and was hence considered by people a sufi pir/fakir.

Edited by sarbatdapala

• 4 weeks later...

What to make of this?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/LSMMTUAFIMC-Laughing-so-much-my-turban-unravels-and-falls-in-my-curry/378006932095?v=wall

• 3 months later...

70 ਕਿਲੋ ਭਾਰੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਉਂਦੈ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ

star.jpg

'ਅਜੀਤ' ਨਾਲ ਗੱਲਬਾਤ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ। ਤਸਵੀਰ: ਹਰਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਾਕਾ

ਲੁਧਿਆਣਾ, 7 ਫਰਵਰੀ (ਗੁਰਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ)-ਯਮੁਨਾ ਨਗਰ ਵਾਸੀ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਆਪਣੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰ 800 ਮੀਟਰ ਲੰਮੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਭਾਰ 70 ਕਿਲੋ ਦੇ ਕਰੀਬ ਹੈ। ਇਸ 800 ਮੀਟਰ ਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਉਸਨੂੰ ਪੂਰਾ ਇਕ ਦਿਨ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਉਹ ਇਸ ਪੱਗ ਨੂੰ ਲਾਹ ਕੇ ਉਤਾਰਣ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਇਕ ਦਿਹਾੜੀ ਲਗਾ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ। 50 ਸਾਲਾ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਪਿਛਲੇ ਦਿਨੀਂ ਫਿਰੋਜ਼ਪੁਰ ਰੋਡ 'ਤੇ ਯਮੁਨਾ ਨਗਰ ਤੋਂ ਛੇਹਰਟਾ ਜਾਂਦਿਆਂ ਜਦੋਂ ਆਪੂੰ ਬਣਾਈ ਜਗਾੜੂ ਐਸਟੀਮ ਕਾਰ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਲੰਘ ਰਿਹਾ ਸੀ ਤਾਂ ਉਥੇ ਇਸਨੂੰ 'ਅਜੀਤ' ਦੀ ਟੀਮ ਨੇ ਹੱਥ ਦੇ ਕੇ ਰੋਕ ਲਿਆ। ਜਦੋਂ 'ਅਜੀਤ' ਦੀ ਟੀਮ ਇਸ ਨਾਲ ਇਸਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਬਾਰੇ ਗੱਲਬਾਤ ਚੱਲ ਰਹੀ ਸੀ ਤਾਂ ਉਥੇ ਇਸਨੂੰ ਦੇਖਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਦਾ ਤਾਂਤਾ ਲੱਗ ਗਿਆ। ਉਸ ਨੇ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਕਿ ਪਿਛਲੇ ਲਗਾਤਾਰ 5 ਸਾਲ ਤੋਂ ਉਹ ਇੰਨੀ ਭਾਰੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਉਹ ਇਕ ਦਿਨ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਕੇ 5 ਦਿਨ ਕੱਢਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ 7ਵੇਂ ਦਿਨ ਲਾਹ ਕੇ ਕੇਸੀ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕਰਕੇ ਅਗਲੇ ਦਿਨ ਮੁੜ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਉਸ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਕਿ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਨੌਜਵਾਨ ਕੁਝ ਮੀਟਰ ਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਦਰਦ ਹੋਣ ਦਾ ਬਹਾਨਾ ਬਣਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਉਹ ਝੂਠ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ 800 ਮੀਟਰ ਲੰਮੀ 70 ਕਿਲੋ ਭਾਰ ਵਾਲੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਫੁੱਲ ਵਰਗੀ ਲੱਗਦੀ ਹੈ।

Edited by laalsingh

What a stupid question. It's obviously to protect the nihangs from the numerous mughal musketmen who roam india or the possibility of an encounter with some british lancers.

What to make of this?

http://www.facebook....06932095?v=wall

Obviously non-sikhs are so cultured and respectful that they would never join such a derogatory group that uses ignorance as the basis of a crude attempt at humour. Therefore the 86000 members of that group must be naughty sikhs with nothing better to do than impersonate good, honest non-sikh folk.

70 ਕਿਲੋ ਭਾਰੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਉਂਦੈ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ

star.jpg

'ਅਜੀਤ' ਨਾਲ ਗੱਲਬਾਤ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ। ਤਸਵੀਰ: ਹਰਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਾਕਾ

ਲੁਧਿਆਣਾ, 7 ਫਰਵਰੀ (ਗੁਰਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ)-ਯਮੁਨਾ ਨਗਰ ਵਾਸੀ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਆਪਣੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰ 800 ਮੀਟਰ ਲੰਮੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਭਾਰ 70 ਕਿਲੋ ਦੇ ਕਰੀਬ ਹੈ। ਇਸ 800 ਮੀਟਰ ਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਉਸਨੂੰ ਪੂਰਾ ਇਕ ਦਿਨ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਉਹ ਇਸ ਪੱਗ ਨੂੰ ਲਾਹ ਕੇ ਉਤਾਰਣ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਇਕ ਦਿਹਾੜੀ ਲਗਾ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ। 50 ਸਾਲਾ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਲਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਪਿਛਲੇ ਦਿਨੀਂ ਫਿਰੋਜ਼ਪੁਰ ਰੋਡ 'ਤੇ ਯਮੁਨਾ ਨਗਰ ਤੋਂ ਛੇਹਰਟਾ ਜਾਂਦਿਆਂ ਜਦੋਂ ਆਪੂੰ ਬਣਾਈ ਜਗਾੜੂ ਐਸਟੀਮ ਕਾਰ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਲੰਘ ਰਿਹਾ ਸੀ ਤਾਂ ਉਥੇ ਇਸਨੂੰ 'ਅਜੀਤ' ਦੀ ਟੀਮ ਨੇ ਹੱਥ ਦੇ ਕੇ ਰੋਕ ਲਿਆ। ਜਦੋਂ 'ਅਜੀਤ' ਦੀ ਟੀਮ ਇਸ ਨਾਲ ਇਸਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਬਾਰੇ ਗੱਲਬਾਤ ਚੱਲ ਰਹੀ ਸੀ ਤਾਂ ਉਥੇ ਇਸਨੂੰ ਦੇਖਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਦਾ ਤਾਂਤਾ ਲੱਗ ਗਿਆ। ਉਸ ਨੇ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਕਿ ਪਿਛਲੇ ਲਗਾਤਾਰ 5 ਸਾਲ ਤੋਂ ਉਹ ਇੰਨੀ ਭਾਰੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਉਹ ਇਕ ਦਿਨ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਕੇ 5 ਦਿਨ ਕੱਢਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ 7ਵੇਂ ਦਿਨ ਲਾਹ ਕੇ ਕੇਸੀ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕਰਕੇ ਅਗਲੇ ਦਿਨ ਮੁੜ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਉਸ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਕਿ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਨੌਜਵਾਨ ਕੁਝ ਮੀਟਰ ਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਦਰਦ ਹੋਣ ਦਾ ਬਹਾਨਾ ਬਣਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਉਹ ਝੂਠ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ 800 ਮੀਟਰ ਲੰਮੀ 70 ਕਿਲੋ ਭਾਰ ਵਾਲੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਫੁੱਲ ਵਰਗੀ ਲੱਗਦੀ ਹੈ।

ਫੋਟੋ ਕਿੱਥੇ ਗਈ?