Facebook Threat To Dosanjh Checked By Rcm

SAadmin

Let me first say this, i i m no fan of dosanjh because he is opportunist and he is always negative against anyone speaking against human rights abuses in india, i m also trying to gather facts of his life (ie- honoring indian martyrs consider terrorist by UK and acts he did ) which will challenge his credibility. But this death threat against him is totally out of order should be condemned by organizations that represent Sikhism at all levels not because its politically correct thing to do but sikh khalsa is never oppressive, threating, intimidating to those are against their ideals.

I yet to see an soorma standing up have civil debate with him. Thats much needed instead of these unfortunate threats. We need to open an dialogue with those who are against us period. Its only through education, discussion, debates we can create awareness of human right abuses, Sikh sovereignty within its own realm.

Hopefully sikh world canadian organization are coming up with press statement on this..this is much needed not because its politically correct but its right thing to do.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/04/23/bc-ujjal-facebook-threats.html

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115557021801224&v=wall&ref=ts

Facebook threat to Dosanjh checked by RCMP

The RCMP are investigating a posting on a Facebook page that calls for Vancouver Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh to be shot.

"Someone shoot him — ASAP," one commenter posted on the site titled "Ujjal Dosanjh is a Sikh Traitor," the National Post reported Friday.

Another branded Dosanjh, a former B.C. premier and former federal cabinet minister who is a vocal opponent of Sikh extremism, as a "rat in our midst."

The group's page says the Indo-Canadian MP "betrayed his own people" and is a "scumbag traitor and an insult to the Sikh religion."

The most threatening posts had been removed from the site by Friday morning, but the RCMP confirmed the force was taking the threats seriously and would investigate.

RCMP Insp. Paul Richards confirmed the force has been called in to investigate the online threats, but said it was too early to say whether charges would be laid.

"What we're doing is reviewing the content of that Facebook site and some of the commentaries that were made," Richards told CBC News.

Dosanjh said he is concerned for his safety, but not afraid because he believes the vast majority of people are peaceful.

Threatened before

Dosanjh, the MP for Vancouver South, has long warned of violence and extremism in pockets of the Sikh community in Canada. (CBC)He added he's sad, but not surprised by the postings, which aren't the first he has received on Facebook. In 2007 he also reported to police a threat posted on the social networking site.

"If a member of Parliament in this country can't speak about issues freely without being threatened to be killed, you know, it's a shame," he told CBC News on Friday morning.

News of the Facebook group comes after an organizer of an April 17 Sikh parade in Surrey, B.C., said in a interview on a Metro Vancouver radio station that Dosanjh and Surrey MLA Dave Hayer were not invited, and that if they showed up they should bring their own security.

Dosanjh took those comments as a thinly veiled threat and notified the RCMP. Other spokesmen for the temple later apologized for the comments, but Dosanjh dismissed the apology as insincere.

The MP has a long history of speaking out about Sikh extremists in Canada. In 1985, he was severely beaten in an attack for his comments.

Surrey parade provokes controversy

The Surrey Vaisakhi parade has become controversial in recent years for featuring floats and images of Sikhs linked to the Air India bombing, which killed 329 people, and other militant incidents.

Hayer said he was shocked at violent online comments directed at Dosanjh, adding that spreading violence is not acceptable.

"I think we really have to have a discussion: what type of Canada are we really looking for," said Hayer.

Hayer's father, Tara Singh Hayer, was fatally shot in Surrey in 1998. The outspoken publisher of the local Indo Canadian Times newspaper was to testify as one of the key witnesses against Sikh extremists in the Air India bombing trials.

"Most people that come here, regardless what their religion is, regardless what their background is, they just want a peaceful place where people can respect each other, raise their family without fear of violence, without fear of being murdered, and feeling safe in the street and in the workplace," Hayer said.

Diplomat fears Sikh extremism rising in Canada

India's high commissioner in Ottawa, Shashishekhar Madhukar Gavai, said the Sikh separatist movement to create a homeland in India called Khalistan has been silent for years in that country.

He told CBC News the recent events show Sikh extremism is on the rise in Canada.

"The rise of Sikh extremism anywhere is a legitimate concern for us. And I think it should be a cause of worry to Canadians as well," he said.

"I mean this clearly shows the mindset of these people. They are violent, they are extremists and you know they want to surpress a freedom and voices of reason, that's all I can say," he said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...l#ixzz0lxTO6mXi

http://www.facebook....4&v=wall&ref=ts

i agree, people need to think. but keep in mind that most people are just letting off steam. there was a time when i went to school that such threats would be dismissed as immature people just ranting. now, it's the post 9/11 era and some people have unfortunately not caught on to the fact that things which were once little things are now seen as quite serious.

btw, ujjal was QC (Queen's Counsel), that's a designation that's only given to incredibly skilled lawyers.

Definition: In Canada, the honorary title of Queen's Counsel or QC is used to recognize Canadian lawyers for exceptional merit and contribution to the legal profession.

Appointments as Queen's Counsel are formally made by the provincial Lieutenant-Governor from members of the bar of the relevant province, on the recommendation of the provincial Attorney General.

The practice of making Queen's Counsel appointments in not consistent across Canada, and the eligibility criteria vary. For example, Quebec stopped making Queen's Counsel appointments in 1976, and Ontario stopped the practice in 1985.

The federal government discontinued federal Queen's Counsel appointments in 1993.

Also Known As: King's Counsel or KC when the monarch is a king.

The media is just out there trying to get a story. After the idiots attacked the Sikh Lehar Gurdwara, the media saw a story and now any small event will be blown out of all proportion. The idiots who started all this now have to consider how their actions and lack of foresight have made Sikhs targets of the media. It's funny how the protests against Kamal Nath were just getting some media attention and the action of these fools managed to subvert that story. Now what will any gora think if faced with a story of Sikhs protesting against the Indian government suppression of the Sikhs and on the other hand he sees Sikhs attack other Sikhs with 'symbols of peace'? I hope the anti-Darshan Singh people will rethink their strategy.

For the next few weeks the enemies of the Sikhs like Dosanjh and Hayre will use the media to make Sikhs look like terrorists and intolerant people. The media will lap it all up and now any small act even someone setting up a facebook page threatening a Desh Bigot like Dosanjh will be blown out of all proportion.

i agree, people need to think. but keep in mind that most people are just letting off steam. there was a time when i went to school that such threats would be dismissed as immature people just ranting. now, it's the post 9/11 era and some people have unfortunately not caught on to the fact that things which were once little things are now seen as quite serious.

btw, ujjal was QC (Queen's Counsel), that's a designation that's only given to incredibly skilled lawyers.

Or to people that obey to every command with out questioning. My dog does this, but even he disobeys sometimes.

The media is just out there trying to get a story. After the idiots attacked the Sikh Lehar Gurdwara, the media saw a story and now any small event will be blown out of all proportion. The idiots who started all this now have to consider how their actions and lack of foresight have made Sikhs targets of the media. It's funny how the protests against Kamal Nath were just getting some media attention and the action of these fools managed to subvert that story. Now what will any gora think if faced with a story of Sikhs protesting against the Indian government suppression of the Sikhs and on the other hand he sees Sikhs attack other Sikhs with 'symbols of peace'? I hope the anti-Darshan Singh people will rethink their strategy.

For the next few weeks the enemies of the Sikhs like Dosanjh and Hayre will use the media to make Sikhs look like terrorists and intolerant people. The media will lap it all up and now any small act even someone setting up a facebook page threatening a Desh Bigot like Dosanjh will be blown out of all proportion.

Every word of this is so true.