gurbani says hair are not significant where do we stand

i have a question though i know its answer but i want to see what you say about it.

we follow gurbani and live according to it on the path towards divinity

then where does the immaterial thing of shape and identity divides sikhs.

kabir ji says=========kabir preet eek saiyon aan naa dubidaa jaayae

baahvain laambai kesh baahvain kharaar mundaiyan.

i am not saying here to cut your hair those who like to keep it but there is no religious significance of hair in sikhism

that's baseless..one line of baani...and baani it is, but still

dashmesh pita guru gobind singh ji made kesh a kakaar did he not?

so by choosing to say there is no religious facet for kesh in sikhism, then forget kanga, forget kachera, forget kara, forget kirpaan...forget dastaar, forget paath...you can question anything, and as we learned from good ole grewal, you can choose baani to say anything you want...

kesh is kakaar.. one line of baani won't change that

we stick with our reht out of our love for guru gobind singh ji. As he is our guru, then we listen to what our guru says because he does not wish to cause us any harm.

Bhagat Kabir Ji has used this Salok to remind us, that when we are love with the lord, we dont care for outside appearence, but lets fall in love with vaheguru first. Also, it can also remind us that we Akal Purkh Ki Fauji's should not look down on people without long hair, because we dont know that they may be in love with god.

just my opinion.

having cut hair doesnt make you a bad person. And Having long hair doesnt make you a good person. In the case for Khalsa Reht, you need uncut hair, its a requirement.

tejnvansh, are u a indian agent?

hair does'nt have importtance?

did'nt guru gobind singh ji say that "WITHOUT REHIT DO NOT COME B4 ME"

"WITHOUT SHASTERS AND HAIR INTACT DO NOT GIVE ME YOUR DARSHAN"

or tajvansh bhagat kabir ji just gave us a metaphore, bani is poetry and u can twist it either way u ant, but the actual meaning is just 1.

I have seen it so many times during my debates that we ignore the whole message and just pick one or two lines from Sri Guru Granth Sahib just to give wrong picture of Gurbani.

Read full page:

Page 1365

They take the noose and run around; but rest assured that God shall destroy them. || 10 || Kabeer, the sandalwood tree is good, even though it is surrounded by weeds. Those who dwell near the sandalwood tree, become just like the sandalwood tree. || 11 || Kabeer, the bamboo is drowned in its egotistical pride. No one should drown like this. Bamboo also dwells near the sandalwood tree, but it does not take up its fragrance. || 12 || Kabeer, the mortal loses his faith, for the sake of the world, but the world shall not go along with him in the end. The idiot strikes his own foot with the axe by his own hand. || 13 || Kabeer, wherever I go, I see wonders everywhere. But without the devotees of the One Lord, it is all wilderness to me. || 14 || Kabeer, the dwelling of the Saints is good; the dwelling of the unrighteous burns like an oven. Those mansions in which the Lord's Name is not chanted might just as well burn down. || 15 || Kabeer, why cry at the death of a Saint? He is just going back to his home. Cry for the wretched, faithless cynic, who is sold from store to store. || 16 || Kabeer, the faithless cynic is like a piece of garlic. Even if you eat it sitting in a corner, it becomes obvious to everyone. || 17 || Kabeer, Maya is the butter-churn, and the breath is the churning-stick. The Saints eat the butter, while the world drinks the whey. || 18 || Kabeer, Maya is the butter-churn; the breath flows like ice water. Whoever does the churning eats the butter; the others are just churning-sticks. || 19 || Kabeer, Maya is the thief, which breaks in and plunders the store. Only Kabeer is not plundered; he has cut her into twelve pieces. || 20 || Kabeer, peace does not come in this world by making lots of friends. Those who keep their consciousness focused on the One Lord shall find eternal peace. || 21 || Kabeer, the world is afraid of death - that death fills my mind with bliss. It is only by death that perfect, supreme bliss is obtained. || 22 || The Treasure of the Lord is obtained, O Kabeer, but do not undo its knot. There is no market to sell it, no appraiser, no customer, and no price. || 23 || Kabeer, be in love with only that one, whose Master is the Lord. The Pandits, the religious scholars, kings and landlords - what good is love for them? || 24 || Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart. You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. || 25 || Kabeer, the world is a room filled with black soot; the blind fall into its trap. I am a sacrifice to those who are thrown in, and still escape. || 26 || Kabeer, this body shall perish; save it, if you can. Even those who have tens of thousands and millions, must depart bare-footed in the end. || 27 || Kabeer, this body shall perish; place it on the path. Either join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, or sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 28 || Kabeer, dying, dying, the whole world has to die, and yet, none know how to die.

Rahitnama Bhai Daya Singh (I think) says "The primary Rahit of a Sikh is to take amrit". Guru Gobind Singh said "Rahit is more important to me than a Sikh". Are these just to be ignored?

I found an interesting part of the rahit here.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?ID=17

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?ID=93

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?ID=87

Gurfateh

Bhagat Kabir Ji has used this Salok to remind us, that when we are love with the lord, we dont care for outside appearence, but lets fall in love with vaheguru first.

I agree Magarmach Bhaji (can't get over your name :LOL: )

You said it, if we are in love with Vaheguru, then outside appearance should not be significant. If you cut your hair, you do this to look good, and people may say it's a way of managing the hair and so on. The bottom line is that it is a fashion statement, especially these days.

So when you are on the path of Sikhi, you have to surrender your ego, a part of that is to adjust your physical appearance to please others. It doesn't even require a religious explanation.

You love God, you drop your ego, this is the only thing standing between you and Him, what makes us human.

Bhul Chuk Dee Khima

Gurfateh

Gurpreet

i agree what so ever you people say because you feel insecure when asked these type of questions.i apologise for it but still i am not clear

some body is relating it to the kakkars of guru gobind singh ji and somebody is trying to explain me whole of the guru granth sahib though i have deep respects for everybody.

But here comes the question again---if this is the realization for sikhs about hair then ---------why does this dual nature of sikhs to have faith in gurbani and bringing maryada which was not started by our gurus and nor stated anywhere in gurbani and even not practised by nine gurus and numerous saints who wrote beautiful scriptures of guru granth sahib.

oriental lifestyle is a fanatism of muslim religion though the effort of all the gurus were to bridge the differences in humanity.

But here comes the question again---if this is the realization for sikhs about hair then ---------why does this dual nature of sikhs to have faith in gurbani and bringing maryada which was not started by our gurus and nor stated anywhere in gurbani and even not practised by nine gurus and numerous saints who wrote beautiful scriptures of guru granth sahib.

come again about nine guroo's. you are mistaken veer.. just to let you know before guroo gobind singh created khalsa...all nine guroo's used to give charan "amrit" to their devotee's. Even in there, kesh was must needed. Because it helps you with the meditation.

There are 100 ways to get to god-

And Sikhi way is one of them which is through spirtuality and naturalism. whether you like or not. You cant follow sggs without intiating yourself in brotherhood of khalsa. Because even guroo nanak in iran said this to qazi Listen to me mukhdin, I shall be in my tenth dress to fight oppression. So creation of Khalsa was written long time before you can even think

This can be widely found in sikhi predictions text- Sau Sakhi. Plus all the rehatnamas you got from nogroup singh i think its enough evidence to prove hair is a must. If you wish not to go through Khalsa way of life thats fine. We are not claiming to we are the only way to get to almighty. Khalsa way of gettin god is one of its kind I tell you much.

Bottom Line: There is no way guroo ji will give you darshan(get salvation) if you dont follow guroo's hakum and hakum is to follow sggs is our living guroo and get baptised in khalsa brotherhood.

|| Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart. You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||

I think when Kabeer ji says " You are in Love" He doesn't mean "When a Sikh is in love with one lord". The Messages in Guru Granth sahib ji are universal so You should have long hair if u are a sikh and should be in love with waheguru , or You could be a christian and have shaved head and still be in love with Waheguru . Both equally good.

i agree what so ever you people say because you feel insecure when asked these type of questions.i apologise for it but still i am not clear

some body is relating it to the kakkars of guru gobind singh ji and somebody is trying to explain me whole of the guru granth sahib though i have deep respects for everybody.

oriental lifestyle is a fanatism of muslim religion though the effort of all the gurus were to bridge the differences in humanity.

SSA

your approach is logical and its goood. But look back in history , sikhs were given a identity by guru gobind singh ji after no one came forward to perform last rites of ninth guru.

We have a identity , your hair , your turban remind of being part of faith.

its a uniform , so lets imagine british army soldiers in different outfits..well wearing the uniform you dont become a good soldier but still , even a cadet would wear the uniform even while he is in training ...

perhaps that answers your question............

there is no duality .......bani doesnt says keeping hair is bad or anything it simply says physical appearance would change the spritual life.

remember sikh is a saint as well as soldier ,,,dont forget the soldier part.....

wjkk wjkf

it may be true that hair alone will not lead you to salvation

but hair is the natural gift of god -- and it HELPS you attain salvation

kabeer jee is saying that some people think that by merely taking part in rituals and not remembering god, they will attain salvation, but it's not like that.

the point is, hair helps you, and its a part of sikhi, something god put on our bodies for a reason

Much here ii agree with all of your points - language of God is LOVE!!!!!

But God sends dwn certain diamonds, u kud say VERY highly spirtitual ppl, like jida punchey ahh!!!

WHat i mean is if u take ur role model - they will not have cut their hair. Not only has God given u GGSJ but has sent liccle diamonds dwn onto this world of Kalyug....

Guru Ji di Bani can be interpreted in many ways - but after i have interpreted Bani to say to me that u r NOT spose to cut ur hair (Kesh yeah) then i turn around and i have 4 face value a very spiritually high person with their kesh in tact yeah - well, u know... its kinda all there infront of u!!! I HATE polotics.... in religion anyway!!!! Just read, try to understand and then luk around!!

Gur pyare sat angat ji

How can u be a sikh if u cut u hair? Your hair is your identity. If u cut it your not a sikh. Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave it for a reason gur pyareo it's not for short term it for long term or it could be for both. Your God given hair along with your 5 k's ids your khalsa Uniform your identity which makes u unique stand out Guru Gobind Singh Ji said mai apna sikh parshan sakh da hyaro bandha kalon in a crowd.

U could say gur pyareo that if i cut my hair that u can have your sikhi in your heart even if u don't have it out side but this is wrong u must have both cause it goes hand in hand just like miri piri which is spirituality and politics u can't have one without the other u have to have them both not just one one same as in Sikhi u have to have both it's like a backup just as u can say for example u say something to someone and do somethign else this is wrong cause your not backing it up and it turn out to be false. Now if u did say something and stuck by your word it'll mean something cause you've said it and backed it up which makes it the truth it's the same as if u say something like i'll do the dishes later and u haven't this means nothing or u say something and u don't back it up with an action this is wrong. Now say u got a job and they had a certain uniform that everyone had to wear and u said nah i'll wear what i want then they'll say get out. This is the same as in the sikhi uniform u have sikhi inside and out that goes but having one without the other doesn't. It's like a circle 2 half circles make a circle which makes it fully functional now if u just hand one circle and not the other it; not complete and it's not going to function properly this is how it is. Hair has so many things which is sigificant which scientists have found Waheguru God is the doer i'm we are nothing to u not even a sacrifice to u almighty Waheguru. By cutting our hair where going against guru ji hukam

Bhul chuk maf karne

P.s> sorry gur pyare sat sangat i haven't put it in paragraphs i'm not to good at english . What's your opinion on this gur pyare dat sangat please don't get angry or mad gur pyare sat sangat. This is Guru's true living word hukam and what he is telling us i would just like to share it with the gur pyare sat sagat ji

• 17 years later...

When my energy was so overwhelming that my body could not contain it, I had to start to understand how external and internal factors affect our mental and health well being because my energy was so sensitive that I felt any slight change.  I soon came to realise the important role hair has with stabilising our energy.  I stopped cutting my hair sometime back and my mental focus, memory, intuition and general well being increased.  The problem is that it's subtle and the deterioration happens so slowly that it is unnoticeable to most people who can not feel their own energy.  

If a person has cut their hair all their lives they will not know that they are not operating at their optimum mental capacity because they know no different.  The opposite is true of someone who has never cut their hair and kept some rehat all their lives.  They may question what is the point of keeping hair.  Unfortunately, in these modern times as we increasingly embrace western non spiritual ways of thinking we are losing deep spiritual knowledge that was once commonly understood in the east.  Once a upon a time no one would have question why Sikhs/Sadhus/Yogis etc keep their hair because it was innately understood. 

I'm not saying the below clip fully answers the question but from my experience it does go some way to answering it from an energy perspective.   

https://youtu.be/yd2atKwYb3Q

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2021 at 4:01 PM, sarabatam said:

Gurmukh rom rom har dhaive 

Another ligh blub moment- Along with naam simran stage at dasam dwara where one is engaged in self contemplation (chida-akash) where beautiful kesh (top knot) act as anchor to connect with divine consciousness.