Belgium Bans The Niqab

dalsingh101

I think the ban has been passed through their senate now. The niqab is the full face covering thing, the whole ninja shabang for those that don't know.

I'm in two minds about this. First thing is that I'm no fan of the niqab (but feel pretty much indifferent to it to be honest), but on the other hand I hope this is isn't the beginning of the criminalisation of religion in Europe and a slippery slope which eventually starts to questions the right of people to wear obvious religious identifiers like dastaars.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/31/belgium-public-ban-burqa-niqab

niqab.jpg

Do you think it is more of a safety issue as well though?

I mean, you wouldn't let someone with a balaclava or full-faced motorcycle helmet enter a bank etc.

Nevertheless, you are right in that if it is plainly a religious issue, it could get sticky for other faiths. Hopefully this is not the case though.

Thanks for that insightful comment Dharma.

Personally I think this is the 1st step towards eradicating religion in public - 'Secular Extremism' with France holding the torch (having already attacked the Sikh Turban). Funny thing is, the principles they base their decision on i.e. Napoleons, are being twisted, as he was actually a Champion (probably the 1st in Europe) of religious freedom - which ironically forms part fo the coundation of true secularism.

Personally I think this is the 1st step towards eradicating religion in public - 'Secular Extremism' with France holding the torch (having already attacked the Sikh Turban). Funny thing is, the principles they base their decision on i.e. Napoleons, are being twisted, as he was actually a Champion (probably the 1st in Europe) of religious freedom - which ironically forms part fo the coundation of true secularism.

Yep. These are bad times in Europe to be a visibly practising religious person.

While I agree with the principle of banning the full face covering for women for security reasons, the fact that their given reasons were couched in anti-religious terms is troubling.

K.

Yep. These are bad times in Europe to be a visibly practising religious person.

While I agree with the principle of banning the full face covering for women for security reasons, the fact that their given reasons were couched in anti-religious terms is troubling.

K.

I agree with you veer 100%

Living in Belgium, I see that Islam is rising fastly here. First they banned hijabs and turbans in school to control Islamists. They saw that some areas are kind off inaccesible to Goreh. So they took up this step.

When a school in Antwerp city banned hijab too (coz banning hijab turban is school decision, not state), Muslims attacked it, blocked the school staff etc vandalised it.

Most common name in my city Brussels (capital of europe) is Muhammad. Very gora name, isn't it?

Most of newborns are Muslims.

Just some facts you need to consider before commenting on this topic. Not in favour nor against this ban.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZRYPbu2hs

Edited by dalsingh101