Gatka Inguise Of Shastarvidya

SURYADEV

I was at the Southall Gurdwara the other day where they had posters up promoting an akhara. Basic gist of poster was that its lieage is the Ranjit Akhara of Guru HarGobind SAhaib. The present day school was started by some student of Vidiya-Guru Baba Gian SIngh in 1985. And the current akhara is called AJIT AKHARA based at SOuthall Community Ctr. The poster had all the pics you would find from shastarvidiya.org.

Mmmmmm..... I thought. Maybe there really are other guys out there who did pick up something from the old SV Baba's and are now teaching the real art. So I went down to the class.

All I saw was just another gatka group, preparing for some nagar kirtan demonstration.

It seems that even the Gatka lot arestarting to rip off the SV lots history/heritage/pictures etc to give them some legitimacy. :(

Sounds like Harminder Singhs Akaara. His gatka is actually supposed to be verifiably taken from Baba Gian Singh.

Jattboot, why don't you speak to him properly, ask the right questions and ask him to demonstrate some techniques etc.

Edited by shaheediyan

Sounds like Harminder Singhs Akaara. His gatka is actually supposed to be verifiably taken from Baba Gian Singh.

Jattboot, why don't you speak to him properly, ask the right questions and ask him to demonstrate some techniques etc.

Pritham Singh learnt from Baba Gyana Singh for 3 weeks, although he may have legitimately learnt, it is definitly not going to be enough to set up an Akhara. The traditional babas have a great disregard for people who train for a short while and then set themselves up as Gurdevs. Nihang Niddar Singh learnt and practised for a total of 11 yrs before they even showed any vidiya to anyone.

You must question if Baba Gyana Singh was from the Baba Darbara Singh Akhara, why would they give aagiya to a student who learnt for 3 weeks to set up his own akhara with a totally different name. Regardless of anything else, Vidiya cannot be copied, frauded or paraded as something it isnt, Gatka and stick spinning is still stick spinning even if it is called Shastarvidiya. You only have to look at the shenanigans of this Akhara at demonstrations that it is nothing different from any other Gatka Akhara.

Edited by Maha Singh

Youre right Shaheediyan. I could have probed a bit further. But having witnessed the same ol' techniques that have been seen for the past many years - Cheers, chungis, marroras, front flicks etc- is one really required to ask questions to know more?

However, they do have quite a good turnout of boys and girls and adults coming out to play gatka.