Praise Of Devi -Passage From Dasam Granth

shakti force to destruct and have an ablitiy to merge panj tat in bhrmand in any sargun form- bijli, bhaugati, figure with 10 heads/10 shastars, narsingha avtar, mach avtar.

but is it these forms exclusively? No. This is where we differ from the HIndus in our view of Chandi, to them it is the tiger riding devi, to Sikhs it is the sword. This shakti has many names and forms but the first and permanent form of shakti is the sword. Any attempt to change this as some of the sanatanis seem to be doing(badly) will be unsuccessful, as Guru Ji's Bani and Karam show otherwise.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below write up by Kulbir Singh from Gurmatbibek.com

Everything is Vaheguru himself since he is pervading in everything. About creating Naam:

ਆਪੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਆਪੁ ਸਾਜਿਓ ਆਪੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਰਚਿਓ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਦੁਯੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਸਾਜੀਐ ਕਰਿ ਆਸਣੁ ਡਿਠੋ ਚਾਉ ॥

1) First he established himself (not created) and then he created his Naam.

2) ਦੁਯੀ i.e. secondly he created ਕੁਦਰਤਿ which is also called Prakriti. This Prakriti is the ingredients (5 elements of this world) from which different forms were created e.g. different forms are made from clay. Clay is Prakriti and different forms are the visible universe.

As for Vaheguru having a consort, this is impossible. He has no partner and no equal. He himself is Naam-form as well because where did he create Naam from? From within himself. Nothing can be created from anywhere else because there is nothing beyond him. Everything comes from him. He has created many powers and many creations but everything was created from the Khanda or power of Naam:

ਪਉੜੀ ॥

ਖੰਡਾ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮੈ ਸਾਜ ਕੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਭ ਸੈਸਾਰੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਮਹੇਸ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਦਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਰਚਾਇ ਬਣਾਇਆ ॥

ਸਿੰਧ ਪਰਬਤ ਮੇਦਨੀ ਬਿਨੁ ਥੰਮ੍ਹਾ ਗਗਨਿ ਰਹਾਇਆ ॥

ਸਿਰਜੇ ਦਾਨੋ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਤਿਨ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਬਾਦੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ॥

ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦੈਤਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਸੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥

ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਰਾਮ ਲੈ ਨਾਲ ਬਾਣਾ ਦਹਸਿਰੁ ਘਾਇਆ ॥

ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥

ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਮੁਨਿ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਕਈ ਜੁਗ ਤਿਨੀ ਤਨੁ ਤਾਇਆ ॥

ਕਿਨੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ 2॥

In the above Pauri it becomes clear that Durga or Chandi or Devi is not the power or Shakti of Vaheguru. The first Pankiti clearly says that Khanda was created at first. Khanda here cannot mean Devi or Durga because Durga has been mentioned in the 5th line, later than even Vishnu, Brahma and Mahesh. Durga is just a creation of Vaheguru like other Devis, Devtas, Prophets etc.

Siri Asa kee Vaar says that he created Naam before the creation and in the above pauri of Chandi di Vaar, Guru Sahib is saying that Vaheguru first created Khanda; this proves that Naam and Khanda are one and the same thing. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh has written that Bhagauti in "Siri Bhagauti jee Sahai" and "Pritham Bhagauti Simar kai" means not Durga Devi or Chandi Devi but it means Naam. Vichaari Durga can't become Sahai (of any help) to a Gurmukh who is a candidate of assistance from a much higher force.

Chandi, Durga or Devi has no importance in Gurmat. The whole idea of writing Krishnavtaar, Chandi di vaar and other such compositions is:

Dasam Katha Bhagaut kee Bhakhiya kari banaaye ||

Avar Baasna nahi Prabh, Dharamjudh ko chaaye ||

All these compositions are for "Dharam judh ko Chaaye" i.e. for the sake of Dharam Yudh, to instill Bir Rass in Sikhs. Nothing else. Guru Sahib's own words make it clear that the aim is Dharamjudh and not to praise these deities.

If you read the original chapter of Dasam Skand of Sirimad Bhagwat Puraan, "Judh Prabandh" in there is much smaller as compared to "Krishnavtaar". Jarasandh was the father-in-law of Kans, the Mama of Siri Krishna. He was a great warrior and the greatest wrestler of that time. Krishna killed his Mama Kans and to avenge the death of his son-in-law, Jarasandh attacked Mathura many times (17-18 times). Everytime he attacked, he was repulsed by Siri Krishna's forces but now the people of Mathura got sick of these everyday attacks and perhaps Krishna too was sick of fighting. So before the last attack, he move his kingdom to Dwarka (now in Gujrat) from Mathura.

The above battles between Jarasandh and Siri Krishna have been greatly detailed in Krishnavtaar and the reason obviously is "Dharamjudh ko Chaaye". Guru Sahib clearly writes that he has no other Baasna (reason, aim) but to instill Dharamjudh in Gursikhs. Sometimes Guru Sahib uses Durga and Mahikhasur as tools to create scenes of fierce battle and sometimes Rama and at other time Krishna. Guru Sahib is not giving any importance to these characters and nor these deities of Hindus have any importance for Sikhs. All these powers are of much lower level. Gursikhs of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee are the worshippers of only Vaheguru and recognize no other power but Vaheguru.Vaheguru is all in all.

The level of Durga is that she brooms the ground at Gurdwara Sahibaan in order to maintain her power, as is evident from the Saakhi of Durga sweeping floor at Siri Kartarpur Sahib when Baba Lehna jee arrived there for the first time. How can such Durga or Chandi be a partner of Vaheguru and sharing power with Him?

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

In Dasam Granth sahib the mention of word devi should not be confused with devi of Hindu faith having physical entity.

There is another ustat of devi ji in krishna avtar titled as " Devi ji ki ustat". Please read it and realize that it is ustat of akal purakh.

So devi word used in Dasam Granth does not indicate devi of hinduism.

Read below

ਭਾਗ

भाग

SECTION

ਅਥ ਦੇਵੀ ਜੂ ਕੀ ਉਸਤਤ ਕਥਨੰ ॥

अथ देवी जू की उसतत कथनं ॥

ਭੁਜੰਗ ਪ੍ਰਯਾਤ ਛੰਦ ॥

भुजंग प्रयात छंद ॥

BHUJANG PRAYAAT STANZA

ਤੁਹੀ ਅਸਤ੍ਰਣੀ ਆਪ ਰੂਪਾ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਅੰਬਕਾ ਜੰਭ ਹੰਤੀ ਅਨੂਪਾ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਅੰਬਕਾ ਸੀਤਲਾ ਤੋਤਲਾ ਹੈ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਵੀ ਭੂਮ ਆਕਾਸ਼ ਤੈ ਹੀ ਕੀਆ ਹੈ ॥੪੨੧॥

तुही असत्रणी आप रूपा ॥ तुही अमबका ज्मभ हंती अनूपा ॥ तुही अमबका सीतला तोतला है ॥ प्रिथवी भूम आकाश तै ही कीआ है ॥४२१॥

O God, Thou art Ambika, the wielder of arms weapons and also the destroyer of Jambhasura; Thou art Ambika, Shitala etc.; Thou art also the installed of the world, earth and sky.421.

ਤੁਹੀ ਮੁੰਡ ਮਰਦੀ ਕਪਰਦੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਾਲਕਾ ਜਾਲਪਾ ਰਾਜਧਾਨੀ ॥ਮਹਾ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਇਆ ਤੁਹੀ ਈਸ਼੍ਵਰੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੇਜ ਆਕਾਸ਼ ਥੰਭੋ ਮਹੀ ਹੈ ॥੪੨੨॥

तुही मुंड मरदी कपरदी भवानी ॥ तुही कालका जालपा राजधानी ॥महा जोग माइआ तुही ईश्वरी है ॥ तुही तेज आकाश थ्मभो मही है ॥४२२॥

Thou art Bhavani, the smasher of heads in the battlefield; Thou art also Kalka, Jalpa and giver of the kingdom to gods; thou art the great Yogmaya and Parvati; Thou art the Light of the sky and the support of the earth.422.

ਤੁਹੀ ਰਿਸ਼ਟਣੀ ਪੁਸ਼ਟਣੀ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਮੋਹ ਸੁ ਚਉਦਹੂੰ ਲੋਕ ਛਾਇਆ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਸੁੰਭ ਨੈਸੁੰਭ ਹੰਤੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਚਉਦਹੂੰ ਲੋਗ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਾਨੀ ॥੪੨੩॥

तुही रिशटणी पुशटणी जोग माइआ ॥ तुही मोह सु चउदहूं लोक छाइआ ॥ तुही सु्मभ नैसु्मभ हंती भवानी ॥ तुही चउदहूं लोग की जोति जानी ॥४२३॥

Thou art Yogmaya, the Sustainer of all; all the fourteen worlds are illumined by Thy Light; Thou art Bhavani, the destroyer of Sumbh and Nisumbh; Thou art the brilliance of the fourteen worlds.423.

ਤੁਹੀ ਰਿਸ਼ਟਣੀ ਪੁਸ਼ਟਣੀ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਣੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਸ਼ਟਣੀ ਹਰਤਣੀ ਅਸਤ੍ਰਣੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਇਆ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਾਕ ਬਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਅੰਬਕਾ ਜੰਭਰਾ ਰਾਜਧਾਨੀ ॥੪੨੪॥

तुही रिशटणी पुशटणी शसत्रणी है ॥ तुही कशटणी हरतणी असत्रणी है ॥ तुही जोग माइआ तुही बाक बानी ॥ तुही अमबका ज्मभरा राजधानी ॥४२४॥

Thou art the Sustainer of all and also the wielder of weapons; Thou art the remover of the sufferings of all and also the wielder of arms; Thou art Yogmaya and power of speech; O Goddess! Thou, as Ambika, art the destroyer of Jambhasura and the giver of the kingdom to gods.424.

ਮਹਾ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਧਾਨੀ ॥ ਭਵੀ ਭਾਵਨੀ ਭੂਤ ਭਬਿਅੰ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਚਰੀ ਆਚਰਣੀ ਖੇਚਰਣੀ ਭੂਪਣੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਮਹਾ ਬਾਹਣੀ ਆਪ ਨੀਰੂਪਣੀ ਹੈ ॥੪੨੫॥

महा जोग माइआ महाराज धानी ॥ भवी भावनी भूत भबिअं भवानी ॥ चरी आचरणी खेचरणी भूपणी है ॥ महा बाहणी आप नीरूपणी है ॥४२५॥

O great Yogmaya ! Thou art the eternal Bhavani in the past, present and future; Thou art consciousness-incarnate, pervading as Sovereign in the sky; Thy vehicle is supreme and Thou art the revealer of all the sciences.425.

ਮਹਾ ਭੈਰਵੀ ਭੂਤਨੇਸੁਰੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਭਵੀ ਭਾਵਨੀ ਭਬਯੰ ਕਾਲੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਣੀ ॥ ਜਯਾ ਆਜਯਾ ਹਿੰਗੁਲਾ ਪਿੰਗੁਲਾ ਹੈ ॥ ਸ਼ਿਵਾ ਸੀਤਲਾ ਮੰਗਲਾ ਤੋਤਲਾ ਹੈ ॥੪੨੬॥

महा भैरवी भूतनेसुरी भवानी ॥ भवी भावनी भबयं काली क्रिपाणी ॥ जया आजया हिंगुला पिंगुला है ॥ शिवा सीतला मंगला तोतला है ॥४२६॥

Thou art the great Bhairavi, Bhuteshvari and Bhavani; Thou art Kali, the wielder of the sword in all the three tenses; Thou art the conqueror of ll, residing on Hinglaj mountain; Thou art Shiva, Shitala and stammering Mangala.426.

ਤੁਹੀ ਅੱਛਰਾ ਪੱਛਰਾ ਬੁੱਧ ਬ੍ਰਿੱਧਿਆ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਭੈਰਵੀ ਭੂਪਣੀ ਸੁੱਧ ਸਿੱਧਿਆ ॥ ਮਹਾ ਬਾਹਣੀ ਅਸਤ੍ਰਣੀ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੀਰ ਤਰਵਾਰ ਕਾਤੀ ਕਟਾਰੀ ॥੪੨੭॥

तुही अछरा प्छरा बु्ध ब्रि्धिआ ॥ तुही भैरवी भूपणी सु्ध सि्धिआ ॥ महा बाहणी असत्रणी शसत्र धारी ॥ तुही तीर तरवार काती कटारी ॥४२७॥

Thou art in the form of Syllable (Akshana), heavenly damsels, Buddha, Bhairavi, Sovereign and an adept; thou hast a supreme vehile (i.e. lion), Thou art also in the form of an arrow, a a sword and a dagger.427.

ਤੁਹੀ ਰਾਜਸੀ ਸਾਤਕੀ ਤਾਮਸੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਾਲਕਾ ਬਿੱ੍ਰਧਣੀ ਅਉ ਜੁਆ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਦਾਨਵੀ ਦੇਵਣੀ ਜੱਛਣੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਿੰਨ੍ਰਣੀ ਮੱਛਣੀ ਕੱਛਣੀ ਹੈ ॥੪੨੮॥

तुही राजसी सातकी तामसी है ॥ तुही बालका बि्रधणी अउ जुआ है ॥ तुही दानवी देवणी ज्छणी है ॥ तुही किंन्रणी म्छणी क्छणी है ॥४२८॥

Thou art Rajas, tamas and Sattva, the three modes of maya; Thou art the three ages of life i.e. childhood, youth and old age; Thou art demoness, goddess and Dakshini; Thou art also Kinnar-woman, fish-girt and Kashyap-woman.428.

ਤੁਹੀ ਦੇਵਤੇਸ਼ੇਸ਼ਣੀ ਦਾਨਵੇਸਾ ॥ ਸਰਹ ਬ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟਣੀ ਹੈ ਤੁਹੀ ਅਸਤ੍ਰ ਭੇਸਾ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਰਾਜ ਰਾਜੇਸ਼੍ਵਰੀ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਯਾ ॥ ਮਹਾ ਮੋਹ ਸੋ ਚਉਦਹੂੰ ਲੋਕ ਛਾਯਾ ॥੪੨੯॥

तुही देवतेशेशणी दानवेसा ॥ सरह ब्रिशटणी है तुही असत्र भेसा ॥ तुही राज राजेश्वरी जोग माया ॥ महा मोह सो चउदहूं लोक छाया ॥४२९॥

Thou art the power of gods and the vision of the demons; Thou art the steel-striker and wielder of arms; Thou art Rajrajeshwari and Yogmaya and there is the prevalence of your maya in all the fourteen worlds.429.

ਤੁਹੀ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮੀ ਬੈਸ਼ਨਵੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਾਸਵੀ ਈਸ਼੍ਵਰੀ ਕਾਰਤਕਯਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਅੰਬਕਾ ਦੁਸ਼ਟਹਾ ਮੁੰਡ ਮਾਲੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਸ਼ਟ ਹੰਤੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕੈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੀ ॥੪੩੦॥

तुही ब्राहमी बैशनवी स्री भवानी ॥ तुही बासवी ईश्वरी कारतकयानी ॥ तुही अमबका दुशटहा मुंड माली ॥ तुही कशट हंती क्रिपा कै क्रिपाली ॥४३०॥

Thou art the power the of Brahmani, Vaishnavi, Bhavani, Basavi, Parvati and Kartikeya; Thou art Ambika and the wearer of the necklace of skulls; O Goddess! Thou art the destroyer of the sufferings of all and also gracious towards all.430.

ਤੁਮੀ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੀ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਹਿਰੰਨਾਛ ਮਾਰਯੋ ॥ ਹਰੰਨਾਕਸ਼ੰ ਸਿੰਘਣੀ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਪਛਾਰਯੋ ॥ ਤੁਮੀ ਬਾਵਨੀ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਤਿਨੋ ਲੋਗ ਮਾਪੇ ॥ ਤੁਮੀ ਦੇਵ ਦਾਨੋ ਕੀਏ ਜੱਛ ਥਾਪੇ ॥੪੩੧॥

तुमी ब्राहमणी ह्वै हिरंनाछ मारयो ॥ हरंनाकशं सिंघणी ह्वै पछारयो ॥ तुमी बावनी ह्वै तिनो लोग मापे ॥ तुमी देव दानो कीए ज्छ थापे ॥४३१॥

As the power of Brahm and as the lion, Thou didst overthrow Hiranyakashipu; Thou didst measure the three worlds as the power of Vaman an dThou didst establish the gods, demons and Yakshas.431.

ਤੁਮੀ ਰਾਮ ਹ੍ਵੈਕੈ ਦਸਾਗ੍ਰੀਵ ਖੰਡਯੋ ॥ ਤੁਮੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਕੰਸ ਕੇਸੀ ਬਿਹੰਡਯੋ ॥ ਤੁਮੀ ਜਾਲਪਾ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਬਿੜਾਲਾਛ ਘਾਯੋ ॥ ਤੁਮੀ ਸੁੰਭ ਸੁੰਭ ਨੈਸੁੰਭ ਦਾਨੋ ਖਪਾਯੋ ॥੪੩੨॥

तुमी राम ह्वैकै दसाग्रीव खंडयो ॥ तुमी क्रिशन ह्वै कंस केसी बिहंडयो ॥ तुमी जालपा ह्वै बिड़ालाछ घायो ॥ तुमी सु्मभ सु्मभ नैसु्मभ दानो खपायो ॥४३२॥

Thou didst kill Ravana as Ram; Thou didst kill the demon Keshi as Krishna; Thou didst annihilate the demon Biraksha as Jalapa and Thou didst destroy the demons Sumbh and Nisumbh.432.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

दोहरा ॥

DOHRA

ਦਾਸ ਜਾਨ ਕਰਿ ਦਾਸ ਪਰਿ ਕੀਜੈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਅਪਾਰ ॥ ਹਾਥ ਦੈ ਰਾਖ ਦੈ ਰਾਖ ਮੁਹਿ ਮਨ ਕ੍ਰਮ ਬਚਨ ਬਿਚਾਰ ॥੪੩੩॥

दास जान करि दास परि कीजै क्रिपा अपार ॥ हाथ दै राख दै राख मुहि मन क्रम बचन बिचार ॥४३३॥

Considering me as Thy slave, be Gracius towards me and keep Thy hand over my head and protect me with Thy mind, action, speech and thought.433.

ਚੌਪਈ ॥

चौपई ॥

CHUPAI

ਮੈ ਨ ਗਨੇਸ਼ਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮ ਮਨਾਊਂ ॥ ਕਿਸ਼ਨ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨਹ ਧਿਆਊਂ ॥ਕਾਨ ਸੁਨੇ ਪਹਿਚਾਨ ਨ ਤਿਨ ਸੋਂ ॥ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੀ ਮੋਰੀ ਪਗ ਇਨ ਸੋਂ ॥੪੩੪॥

मै न गनेशहि प्रिथम मनाऊं ॥ किशन बिशन कबहूं नह धिआऊं ॥कान सुने पहिचान न तिन सों ॥ लिव लागी मोरी पग इन सों ॥४३४॥

I do not adore Ganesha in the beginning and also do not mediatate on Krishna and Vishnu; I have only heard about them with my ears and I do not recognize them; my consciousness is absorbed at the feet of the Supreme Kal (the Immanent Brahman).434.

ਮਹਾਕਾਲ ਰਖਵਾਰ ਹਮਾਰੋ ॥ ਮਹਾ ਲੋਹ ਮੈਂ ਕਿੰਕਰ ਥਾਰੋ ॥ ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਰਖਵਾਰ ॥ ਬਾਹਿ ਗਹੇ ਕੀ ਲਾਜ ਬਿਚਾਰ ॥੪੩੫॥

महाकाल रखवार हमारो ॥ महा लोह मैं किंकर थारो ॥ अपना जान करो रखवार ॥ बाहि गहे की लाज बिचार ॥४३५॥

The Supreme Kal (God) is my Protector and O Steel-Purusha Lort ! I am Thy slave; Protect me, considering me as Thy own and do me the honour of catching my arm.435.

ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਮੁਝੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਰੀਐ ॥ ਚੁਨ ਚੁਨ ਸ਼ੱਤੁ ਹਮਾਰੇ ਮਰੀਐ ॥ ਦੇਗ ਤੇਗ ਜਗ ਮੈ ਦੋਊ ਚਲੈ ॥ ਰਾਖ ਆਪ ਮੁਹਿ ਅਉਰੁ ਨ ਦਲੈ ॥੪੩੬॥

अपना जान मुझे प्रतिपरीऐ ॥ चुन चुन श्तु हमारे मरीऐ ॥ देग तेग जग मै दोऊ चलै ॥ राख आप मुहि अउरु न दलै ॥४३६॥

Sustain me, considering me as Thy own and destroy my enemies, picking them up; O Lord with Thy Grace, let the free kitchen and Sword (for the protection of the lowly;) ever flourish through me and none should be able to kill me except You.436.

ਤੁਮ ਮਮ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਮੈ ਦਾਸ ਤਿਹਾਰਾ ॥ ਜਾਨ ਆਪਨਾ ਮੁਝੈ ਨਿਵਾਜ ॥ ਆਪ ਕਰੋ ਹਮਰੇ ਸਭ ਕਾਜ ॥੪੩੭॥

तुम मम करहु सदा प्रतिपारा ॥ तुम साहिब मै दास तिहारा ॥ जान आपना मुझै निवाज ॥ आप करो हमरे सभ काज ॥४३७॥

Sustain me ever, O Lord! Thou art my Master and I am Thy slave; be Gracious towards me, considering me as Thy own and complete all my works.437.

ਤੁਮ ਹੋ ਸਭ ਰਾਜਨ ਕੇ ਰਾਜਾ ॥ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੁ ਗਰੀਬ ਨਿਵਾਜਾ ॥ ਦਾਸ ਜਾਨ ਕਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਮੁਹਿ ॥ ਹਾਰ ਪਰਾ ਮੈ ਆਨ ਦ੍ਵਾਰ ਤੁਹਿ ॥੪੩੮॥

तुम हो सभ राजन के राजा ॥ आपे आपु गरीब निवाजा ॥ दास जान करि क्रिपा करहु मुहि ॥ हार परा मै आन द्वार तुहि ॥४३८॥

O Lord! Thou art eh king of all kings and Gracious towards the poor; be Benevolent towards me, considering me as Thy own, because, I have surrendered and fallen at Thy Gate.438.

ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਮੈ ਕਿੰਕਰ ਥਾਰਾ ॥ ਦਾਸ ਜਾਨ ਦੈ ਹਾਥ ਉਬਾਰੋ ॥ ਹਮਰੇ ਸਭ ਬੈਰੀਅਨ ਸੰਘਾਰੋ ॥੪੩੯॥

अपना जान करो प्रतिपारा ॥ तुम साहिबु मै किंकर थारा ॥ दास जान दै हाथ उबारो ॥ हमरे सभ बैरीअन संघारो ॥४३९॥

Sustain me, considering me as Thy own; Thou art my Lord and I am Thy slave; considering me as Thy slave, save me with Thy own hands and destroy all my enemies.439.

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਧਰੋ ਭਗਵਤ ਕੋ ਧਯਾਨਾ ॥ ਬਹੁਰ ਕਰੋ ਕਬਿਤਾ ਬਿਧਿ ਨਾਨਾ ॥ ਕਿਸ਼ਨ ਜਥਾ ਮਤ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਉਚਾਰੋ ॥ ਚੂਕ ਹੋਇ ਕਬਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸੁਧਾਰੋ ॥੪੪੦॥

प्रथम धरो भगवत को धयाना ॥ बहुर करो कबिता बिधि नाना ॥ किशन जथा मत चरित्र उचारो ॥ चूक होइ कबि लेहु सुधारो ॥४४०॥

At the very outset, I meditate on Bhagavata (Lord-God) and then endeavour to compose various types of poesy; I speak out the memories of Krishna according to my; intellect and if there remins any shortcoming in it, then the poets may improve it.440.

ਇਤਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦੇਵੀ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਸਮਾਪਤਮ ॥

इति स्री देवी उसतति समापतम ॥

End of the eulogy of the Goddess.

Krishna avtar, Dasam Granth

My request is that do not interpret Dasam Granth with Hindu terminology as it is misleading.Dasam Granth condemns idol worshipping very forcefully and more than any otehr sikhs scripture.

Edited by singh2

With all due respect, Bhai Kulbir Singh has started and finished his post on a false, and clearly neophyte note i.e. Chandi is consort of Vaheguru, Chandi is partner of Vaheguru sharing power with Vaheguru.

This is nonsense, nobody has ever said this, this is just a clever tactic to make the uneducated take sides based on incorrect assumptions.

Chandi is clearly the creation of Vaheguru, made/sent for a clear purpose. Other way to see it is that she is one characteristic of Akaal Purkh, the same way the Panj Pyare were characteristics of Dasmesh Pita, it is this specific characteristic that Dasmesh Pita gave focus to in terms of Dharam Yudh. In one sentance he says Chandi serves no purpose in Gurmat, then he says she is clearly used for the sake of Dharam Yudh! does that mean Dharam Yudh serves no purpose in Gurmat..!

Raags play a very intricate and mystical role in the life of real Raagis, Raagmala cleary shows us this, as does the historic power of what raags are able to do... we respect raagas, which are also recognised as devtai, but saying that, our brother doesn't believe in raagmala or importance of raags either.

That Chandi is the power (Psychology) invoked by and used by puratan Khalsa as ithihaas clearly says, or that she sweeps the floor of Guru Sahibs home, is not a contradiction, but a totally clear understanding of the Guru=parmatma concept.

Here is my take on this, i posted this on sikhsangat just now:

It all depends on intention of an individual who is trying to illustrate shakti form of Vahiguroo. If sikh worship and or prasiing only shakti aspect of Vahiguroo via these pictures or other way and limiting all other aspects of vahiguroo and not worship nirgun form of vahiguroo via shabad without any question, he/she committing idol worshiping, should be condemned by Gurmat.

However, there is a difference between worshiping shakti form of vahiguroo and praising shakti form of Vahiguroo. I yet to see an nihang khalsa or any khalsa worshiping shakti form of vahiguroo via these pictures above, but according to gurmat sidhant, shakti form of vahiguroo whichever form it might be its praised not worshiped in sri dasam granth, there many glorifying examples already posted on the forums. I do admit i have seen n angs idiots deliberately wearing t shirts of devta's like ganesh, shiva, lakshmi devi just to tick off other party. That is totally un-acceptable and cause un neccesary divide among brothers. But i am sure bhai jwala singh ji intentions not that at all, its far from it. He is merely following sri dasam granth sahib sidhant of praising shakti of vahiguroo which happen to be in many forms.

If other party whole issue is do with picture of kali devi or other devi being posted on the blog, i m sorry to say you guys have lost the plot. If pictures of various symbolism of shakti is your only issue, than instead of accusing other party of bhaut bharshti(idol worshipers), you yourself are stuck in the dandal( deep cycle) of bhaut(idol) symbolism of shakti and cannot get pass the bhaut and failed to recognize the shakti aspect of Vahiguroo.

Fine lets change pictures around, lets give an example of narsingha(driving force of vahiguroo - shakti) transcendent into this earth despite of all vars (no one destroy to me, human nor animal, nor in day nor in night), despite of all these vars given to harnakash, narsingha gave him death. Lets talk about picture of narsingha episode as its more acceptable in gurmat because direct reference in gurbani:

narsingh+bhagwan.jpg

If dhoti, tilak wearing, multi arm narsingha picture which illustratious shakti form of vahiguroo praised or acceptable in gurmat ,why not other forms of shakti?? Is it only because other forms of shakti is shared by other religion? Well narsingha avtar is reverred an shakti form of Vahiguroo in hindu dharam too? Just because of Shakti form of Vahiguroo is appreciated/praised in other dharam does not make them automatically anti gurmat, look by rising above boundaries of dharam, religious ideologies, any Victorian abrahamic influence then you will see no specific dharam owns various form of shakti of Vahiguroo.

Fine, lets give you guys peace of mind, I am going to be blunt here, lets do a jora of kali matta change her picture a bit, put a dastar on her head, change the trishul weapon to khanda(bhaugati) instead of dead skuls mala around her head, put sarbloh mala of sarbloh weapons attached to it. Now is that symbolism of shakti good enough for you guys? or its still hindufied for you guys?

Don't accuse others of idol worshipers when your own eyes cannot see driving force behind symbolism be it (khanda, kali devi, sarbloh weapons, utensils), don't accuse others of idol worshipers when your eyes cannot get pass cham of symbols.

over and out..!

It is not that simple as we are trying to make it.These are two distinct separate philosophies.

In Hinduism , Worshippers of devi durga consider her as absolute supreme power. There is no God above her.She is all in all.

Sikhism rejects that theory and considers her as creation of akal purakh.That was the purpose of Guru sahib in writing dasam granth to tell people that deities you consider as Gods are not Gods. They are creation God and have not been able to realize God.

PLease do not mix two different philosophies as it creates nothing else but confusion.There is no need to do that also.

Edited by singh2

Sorry i was not trying to mix different school of thoughts, if i did that unintentionally please forgive me. All along in my post, i try to keep distinction between worshiping shakti form of Vahiguroo( not acceptable in Gurmat) and praising shakti form of Vahiguroo couplets ultimately going back in nirgun praise (acceptable in Gurmat).

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all and Chatanga1 Jee!

You wrote "This is where we differ from the HIndus in our view of Chandi, to them it is the tiger riding devi, to Sikhs it is the sword."

Is it important to be a Sikh or Hindu imitator to receive the wisdom of ChanDee?

Singh2 Jee wrote "In Hinduism , Worshippers of devi durga consider her as absolute supreme power. There is no God above her.She is all in all."

Please provide a reference. I will be thankful.

Balbir Singh

Singh2 Jee wrote "In Hinduism , Worshippers of devi durga consider her as absolute supreme power. There is no God above her.She is all in all."

Please provide a reference. I will be thankful.

Balbir Singh

Balbir singh ji

Say Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

I thought you must be aware of shakat tradition of Hinduism. You asked for reference , below is ref.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaktism

Shaktism (Sanskrit: Śāktaṃ, शाक्तं; lit., "doctrine of power" or "doctrine of the Goddess") is a denomination of Hinduism that focuses worship upon Shakti or Devi – the Hindu Divine Mother – as the absolute, ultimate Godhead. It is, along with Shaivism and Vaisnavism, one of the three primary schools of Hinduism.

Shaktism regards Devi (lit., "the Goddess") as the Supreme Brahman itself, the "one without a second", with all other forms of divinity, female or male, considered to be merely her diverse manifestations. In the details of its philosophy and practice, Shaktism resembles Shaivism.

They are creation God and have not been able to realize God.

If that is the case then are they not theoretically beneath earthly brahm gianis?

And are we expected to believe in their actual existence as opposed to their being mythological devices/vehicles used to make particular, albeit important points?

The other question I wanted to ask was, if say hypothetically, historically a Singh was already of a warlike disposition and had aptitude and needed little 'inspiration' for dharam yudh from such devtay sources. What would his position be visa vis Chandi?

I made the point in another thread sometime ago that the best warriors or soldiers today are ones who have nothing to do with the mythological Chandi. They don't even probably know of her existence. Whilst some of the panth have kept Chandi theology alive but have lost all if not most of their military strength/capability today. So I'm wondering about the efficacy of Chandi worship/respect/adulation (however you put it) in practical terms?

I hope people don't misconstrue my questions as impertinence. If we can't discuss these things between ourselves, who else will.

They were sent as avtars by the order of akal Purakh.So they were real.But they faltered in their mission

hukam oupaaeae dhas aouthaaraa ||

By His Hukam, He created His ten incarnations,

1037 SGGSt.

Dasam Granth is not a carbon copy of exploits of these avtars as mentioned in Hindu texts. There have been major alterations. Secondly it has been authored by guru sahib with breathtaking battle scenes.One need to read Dasam granth before raising points that may not be relevant to be raised.

For example there are cannons and guns firing in Chandi charitra.Obviously there were no guns when chandi was there.Similarly whole section of yudh parband of krishna avtar is not found in any Hindu text.

There is no such thing as chandi theology. Chandi is sri sahib for sikhs.Read chandi di vaar before raising such useless points.It is our heritage and only thankless people disown their heritage.

But this is a different topic and let us not divert the main thread.If you want you can open a new thread for your queries.

Edited by singh2

let us not divert the main thread.If you want you can open a new thread for your queries.

Okay, will do later.

Okay, will do later.

You also need to read history of sikh regiments before writing ridiculous things about chandi di vaar.Their regiment motto is from this vaar.

You have your choice but have no right to malign sikh granth and historical tradition of sikhs.Lastly best armies make their grade in the battlefields and not in some western paper reviews. Certainly sikh army has earned that reputation which is yet to be surpassed. Read battle of saragarhi as one instance.If need be they are still capable of doing that taking inspiration from granth of khalsa.

Edited by singh2

Dear all and Singh2 Jee!

Thanks for your efforts.

Wikipedia is a man made platform for information and views. It is ready to change anytime also in the future.

I have never come across a scripture that states 'the Hindu Goddess is the supreme Godhead'.

Surprise, they want to inform about Shaktee but are providing photos of people doing rituals.

People know and follow rituals imagining they are following a religion.

Sikh preachers are working hard for Sikhs to keep them on their tracks. They should not trust the Hindu Bhagautee, ChanDee or Durgaa.

I have a request to the Sikh Preachers. Can anyone of them please introduce seekers with the Sikh Bhagautee, ChanDee, Durgaa, Shaktee, Siva, Hari, NaaraayaN or Raam? The true Gurus have often used these words.

Sometimes people answer 'God knows' when they do not know. Sikh preachers often answer 'this means Waahiguru' when they do not know the wisdom of that word.

God and only His activities exist in a dual world. We all are His Activities and feel separated from HIM. Khandaa is established.

Were you ever interested in knowing His Activities that dissolve the Khandaa and all become 'Sam' or One again?

Let it happen or you still want to collect information about it.

Balbir Singh

You also need to read history of sikh regiments before writing ridiculous things about chandi di vaar.Their regiment motto is from this vaar.

You have your choice but have no right to malign sikh granth and historical tradition of sikhs.Lastly best armies make their grade in the battlefields and not in some western paper reviews. Certainly sikh army has earned that reputation which is yet to be surpassed. Read battle of saragarhi as one instance.If need be they are still capable of doing that taking inspiration from granth of khalsa.

Please don't make the mistake of confusing probing questions with some attempt at maligning the panth or any granth for God's sake.

Balbir wrote

T

hanks for your efforts.

Wikipedia is a man made platform for information and views. It is ready to change anytime also in the future.

I have never come across a scripture that states 'the Hindu Goddess is the supreme Godhead'.

Balbir ji

Wikipedia are not created out of nothing. There is a basis for these to be on the net.

This is what is written about devi in hindu scripture Durga saptashati from where Guru sahib had taken base story of

Durga. That is the reason he had omitted such verses that projected her as supreme entity and gave us an altered version

fitting sikh view.

" Even the greatest among wise, even God himself, is by her power transformed into a small puppet

that she plays with in her hands."

" She creates Sansara and she maintains it"

" But do not be surprised at her behaviour. It is simply her nature. What can we do about it.

She creates the world, she sustains it, and she causes us to get attached to it"

Edited by singh2

Not all Devi worshippers believe that Devi is supreme.

Infact vashnavs also hold this view That vishnu is supreme Please read following link

http://maavaishnodevi.org/mata_vaishno.asp

Hindu's worship Vaishno Devi because they believe that

Devi can fulfill their wishes quickly

Dear all and Singh2 Jee!

Thanks for referring 'Durgaa Saptshatee' and its contents translated in English.

God is also before any thing happens. He wishes and the first activity comes into existence (Bhavaanee), the chain reaction starts. Everything in Cosmos remains for a time period to execute HIS Order with love (Bhava-Preetaa) then everything changes its form (Bhav-Mochinee).

In Sansaara there are enough translators. The world is existing and evolving with their ignorance.

God wants a Jeev to remain in the world. He gives him ignorance.

Strange, sick Preachers could not translate one Vaak of the true Gurus correctly but proudly they claim to be the experts of Scriptures in other languages.

In Durgaa Saptshatee also, I have not come across a sentence or word that states 'the Hindu Goddess is the supreme Godhead'.

Balbir Singh

This whole thing kind of blew up on Sikhsangat.com with the emergence of various threads talking about Devi etc. Yet no one is willing to listen to the katha by Giani Inderjit Singh Ji about the whole CONCEPT of devi in Sikhi. Seems like they just want to do badnami of the blog and me for posting that photograph.

Thanks Sikhawareness for possessing an open mind and having a knee-jerk reaction due to the picture.

Don't sweat it, Singha, and thanks for the seva you are doing in translating these puratan texts.

Knee-jerk reactions are to be expected because of the content of some puratan granths and the general ignorance among Sikhs of our ithihaas. On a personal note, I had the same kind of reaction when I first heard that Banda Bahadur was not always the infallible hero I was taught that he was, but the surprise shocked me out of my laziness and inspired me to read more of our history.

Keep up the good work, veer ji.

Regards,

K.

PS I'd appreciate a response, when you have the time, about the question I sent you on your blog about the Ugardanti translation. There's no hurry though.

This whole thing kind of blew up on Sikhsangat.com with the emergence of various threads talking about Devi etc. Yet no one is willing to listen to the katha by Giani Inderjit Singh Ji about the whole CONCEPT of devi in Sikhi. Seems like they just want to do badnami of the blog and me for posting that photograph.

Thanks Sikhawareness for possessing an open mind and having a knee-jerk reaction due to the picture.

Oops , that was a hypo, I meant that Sikhawareness did not give a knee-jerk reaction like Sikhsangat did

And Kalyug, I saw your comment, for some reason it went in the moderation section, where I have to aprove it before it shows up, not sure why that happened. Will look it up properly and check that out, I am not ignoring you.

Also Shaheediyan, you msged me a long time ago about a URL where you can download Baba Ji's katha that I had put online, will send that to u for sure. My apologizes for the late responses, just got a lot on my plate at the moment lol

Only 5, read my post again. Sheran-vali is shakti, Shastar are shakti, Durga is Shastar, Shastar are Bhagauti.

Shakti is Akaal Purkhs power, has been explained in the form of Chandi (whether you believe this to literal or metaphorical for our understanding, makes no difference at all), Guru Gobind Singh gives namaskaar to the destroyer of Demons, the Shastar and Chandi - one and same.

In one Jvala Singhs translations, it was written, Singhs are the rides of Chandi, it would do well to really do vichaar on this phenominal quote - only then do we understand how the likes of Baba Deep Singh invoked the spirit of Chandi to cause havoc on the enemies of Darbar Sahib.

A big fuss about nothing. Sikhs do not sit in front of a statue of Chandi and pooj her, they pooj the real Chandi - the magnificent power of Vaheguru - which is extant in the very real power of the sword.

But this does not take away the power/beauty of the poetry and/or imagery of Chandi which has been used for millenia and which was caefully included in our very own Gurbani by the Puratan Khalsa.

If the the learned people would write more post like this then it would actually be understood. N3O Singh and Singh2, along with others have done this. But to just say to someone you must accept it, especially a topic like this will get you no where.

I just wanted a member to come out and say it, Sikhs don't worship deities.

Thanks

IN SIKHISM DURGA REPRESENTS SHAKTI FROM WHICH EVERYTHING EXCEPT GOD WAS CREATED, THIS INCLUDES FIVE ELEMENTS NATURE AND MAYA ETC ETC. GOD IS KNOWN AS SHIV. (NOT SHIVA A DRUGGEE WHO LIVES WITH PARBATI AND GANESH IN THE MOUNTAINS SOMEWHERE)

SHIV AND SHAKTI HAS BEEN MENTIONED MANY TIMES IN GURBANI EG, RAMKALI ANAND SAHIB, SIDH GOST ASWELL AS DASAM GRANTH AND SARBLOH GRANTH. IN ASA KI VAR

GURU NANAK DEVJI STATES - DOE KUDRAT SAAJ KE KAR ASAN DITO CHAO....FROM ONE I CREATED TWO AND WITHIN THIS TWO I WATCH THE WORLD.

THE SHAKTA SHAKTI PRINCIPAL HAS TO BE FULLY UNDERSTOOD IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND WHO OR WHAT DURGA IS, DURGA THE EIGHT ARMED LADY REPRESENTS THE PHYSICAL 'HUMAN'

FORM OF THIS SHAKTI WHICH IS CREATED BY GOD.

It may be acceptable in dharam yudh where singhs truly do abhyaas of shastar/shakti in order invoke chandi /bir ras but i m sure khalsa is not outright tamoguni so khalsa is given updesh to have fine balance between shakat and shakti aspect of vahiguroo.

Listen to bhai kamlroop singh and bhai sukha singh ji katha on shakat and shakti aspect of vahiguroo:

We go by what is written in Dasam Granth sahib. We should not interpret Dasam Granth with status

of Durga as mentioned in Hindu puranas.

For sikhs Durga is a creation of akal purakh who fights against asurs or demons who represent evil

She is not decribed as shakti of waheguru anywhere.

ਅਨਹਦ ਰੂਪ ਅਨਾਹਦ ਬਾਨੀ ॥

अनहद रूप अनाहद बानी ॥

He is Limitless Entity and hath infinite celestial strain.

ਚਰਨ ਸਰਨਿ ਜਿਹ ਬਸਤ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥

चरन सरनि जिह बसत भवानी ॥

The goddess Durga takes refuge at His Feet and abides there.

akal ustat

The poster is trying to interpret the heading " Ath devi ji ki ustat" as ode to Durga.

That is incorrect and misleading. There are many otehr headings like this in Dasam Granth.

When you read those carefully it is ode to akal purakh and not to Durga.

Guru Gobind singh ji has described chandi as Kirpan in chandi di vaar.

ਧੂਹਿ ਲਈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਣੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਮਿਆਨ ਤੇ ॥

धूहि लई क्रिपाणी दुरगा मिआन ते ॥

Durga pulled her sword from the scabbard.

ਚੰਡੀ ਰਾਕਸਿ ਖਾਣੀ ਵਾਹੀ ਦੈਤ ਨੂੰ ॥

चंडी राकसि खाणी वाही दैत नूं ॥

She struck the demon with that Chandi, the devourer of demons (that is the sword).

Chandi di vaar

Shakti of akal purakh when takes physical form is Sri sahib or kirpan.

Edited by singh2