26-Yr-Long Struggle - 84 Riots Widow Finally Gets Husband's Death Certificate

kdsingh80

19_05_2010_001_014_008.jpg

Kiranjit Kaur's ordeal is finally over.

For 26 years, she ran pillar to post, from Patiala to Delhi, for her husband Narinderjit Singh's death certificate.

Singh, a teacher, was killed on November 1, 1984 during the anti-Sikh riots that broke out after the assassination of Indira Gandhi.

On April 27 this year, the Delhi High Court ordered the sub-divisional magistrate of Vasant Vihar to release Singh's death certificate with- in six weeks, after verifying the particulars.

The death certificate isn't just closure for Kaur; with it she will finally be able to apply for compensation.

“The petitioner has been waiting for relief for over two decades; there should be no further delay,“ the judge said. Kaur lost her husband barely a year after their mar- riage. At the age of 22, with a two-month-old son, she start- ed the long struggle for his death certificate. “I was new in Delhi. From policemen to babus, everybody deceived me.

They sent me from the DCP's office in Tis Hazari court com- plex to the SDM's office in Punjabi Bagh“ Kaur told HT.

“I saw my mother run around for the certificate,“ son Harsimranjit Randhawa, now a law graduate, said.

“Once we get it, we'll apply for compensation.“