Deadliest Warrior 2X06 Roman Centurion Vs. Rajput

bhooliya

Amardeep, some of your observations were not so far from the truth, just a few extra comments (and please note, I am not an expert in martial arts):

"are any of you amazed by the moves seen on the above video of Nihang Niddar Singh posted by Maha Singh? To me it looks like very normal and logical moves that everyone would do if they were attacked (just dodging) , I dont see anything extra ordinary ?"

All real combat/martial arts sadly do NOT look flashy or amazing when seen in practice. Certainly the drills/forms/jurus what have you, are practiced to extremes, so do look aesthetically pleasing, but when used in reality, the movements become just 10% of the form and extremely subtle due to infinite variations of attacking angle/speed/distance/footwork/timing etc.

What I like about Niddar Singhs demos is that they are not choreographed, so he is always having to focus (100%) and think. Even though the Singhs are not trying to kill him (full force etc), there is certainly no hiding from the fact that any accomplished swordsman in the audience will see possibilites of kill, and whether or not they are being recognised and neutralised by Nidar Singh.

When people read spiritual material and philosophy - a lot of it seems common sense. Thats because it. The truth is, that common sense is not so common. Simplicity and directness is the key to combat, but believe it or not, this needs to be taught! Many martial arts teach all sorts of flashy and frankly totally unrealistic nonsense, that may work in a controlled sparring environment (where all is one and the same), but which would get an autopsy on the street.

When you talk about dodging, look a little more into it, see how Nidar Singh is using peripheral vision and is aware of the intentions of all 3 attackers, based on how they are moving (in their own rythm), which way their swords are facing, foot positions etc, 2ndly look at how much of a large part Nidar Singhs footwork plays in his dodging, is he simply standing in one spot doing a matrix special? Look at the circles Nidar Singh contstanly walks for instance. A few other deadly Far Eastern martial arts also utililse these same priniples for multiple opponent combat.

I can tell you, to be constantly moving is an essential key in combat, but not moving around like a monkey on opium, movements need to have purpose and intent.

Also look at where Nidar Singh positions himself, half the work in neutralising the next round of attacks is done by being in the ideal position to respond.

That aside, where the odd clever attack comes his way, sure, he has to duck, or move his head etc, that is just a show of his honesty, as if he didn't do that, I doubt his students would cut him, but he would know, and those in the know would know, that the teacher just got hit. Although thats not bad thing at all, in fact good Masters always give their student a thaaper on the back if they 'achieve'.

The other thing to look for is the great awareness of angles Nidar Singh has, he is consistantly able to continue one strike from one attacker to the 2nd (sometime even to the 3rd) by lining them up perfectly. Once one understands angles, then you see see where the more swingy exhibition arts fall flat on their face.

Momentum is also used very well, as one strike nicely cuts or hits, being set up in such a way that the energy is recycled into the next strike, have look for this, it is again another essential skill in energy conservation and reducing time-lag/waste.

When you see his back to a student, that is because he has just killed him. The drill is continous, so the student needs to acknowledge the strike for at least his teacher to pass him that once. Check it out it again.

If you study the staff, spear etc work, you will see short, controlled and manipulating movements, with many direct short srtikes, and short powerful sideways footwork, which is very efficient in my opinion, and used in other arts too.

That you don't see anything extra-ordinary is in my opinion, evidence of a successful demo. But it is also evidence of your lack of understanding, the extra-ordinary (as with anything) is always sukshma/subtle, and only seen by the trained/knowing eye. I hope you try and watch the videos again based on the above comments and see things slightly differently. Sorry, its a very short commentry, i am still recovering from a freak flu I have had for 5 days!

I have shown the video to some of my other teachers, who thought it was good, some liked the footwork and others the sword work, which they consider similar to theirs albeit at times, Nidar Singh touched swords (which I think was in terms of controlling/moving the opponents weapon, rather than attacking the weapon), which in their art is considered an absolute no, as they always attack/control the limb (I am sure the principle is similar in SV also from what I remember). But even this is not a big deal if you consider the extent of the drill!

As Maha Singh said, to get a real taste, one needs go to the school and have a go with the Master.

Hope that helps, cough cough, splutter splutter (back to bed).

Edited by shaheediyan

Have a look at the video on the above channel, or the Shastarvidiya channel and tell us what part is copied from Kung Fu. Also put up other Kung Fu videos and show how Niddar Singh has used the exact same movement, technique, and strikes.

If in your belief Niddar Singh is merely doing Kung Fu, Martial Arts experts would see right through his facade, however in the recent demonstrations to the western world, Niddar Singh has astounded and gained high respect amongst Ninjitsu, Philipino and Samurai swordsmen. Or is it that your knowledge of martial arts is much greater then those practitioners who are world renowned masters with over 40 yrs experience in the field of martial arts?

??

That’s true. Niddar’s Kung Fu skills would have been much more appreciated and look much more impressive on that ducumentory.

Have a look at the video on the above channel, or the Shastarvidiya channel and tell us what part is copied from Kung Fu. Also put up other Kung Fu videos and show how Niddar Singh has used the exact same movement, technique, and strikes.

If in your belief Niddar Singh is merely doing Kung Fu, Martial Arts experts would see right through his facade, however in the recent demonstrations to the western world, Niddar Singh has astounded and gained high respect amongst Ninjitsu, Philipino and Samurai swordsmen. Or is it that your knowledge of martial arts is much greater then those practitioners who are world renowned masters with over 40 yrs experience in the field of martial arts?

??

Edited by Maha Singh