Burying Gurbani?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

A lot of survivalist/prepper type people talk about burying weapons and other useful things to be recovered when the SHTF (s*** hits the fan) and it is TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it).

Given that various kathavachaks, mahapurush and vidyarthis have spoken about a time coming when Gurbani will go gupt and the world will enter a stage of chaos and darkness, what does the Sangat think of burying various Gurbani granths in airtight non-metallic containers for the future? Would it be beadbi? Have I been reading too many survivalist posts?

K.

I'm the best looking 5000 year old in the world. Since I am so siyaana, I expect you all to respect my authoritah!

Kal yuga is supposed to last 432,000 years, but I don't know if that is supposed to be an actual honest-to-god accurate figure or simply a symbolic number representing "a really long frickin time".

Anyway, these mahapurush etc may not be speaking about the end of kal yuga but rather a nasty peak in adharmic violence.

K.

Well if sanatan tradition is to be believed, dusht daman buried Sarbloh Granth for eons before they returned as Guru Gobind Singh and had it exhumed.

the going gupt happens due to shaheedi fauj retreiving Gurbani. depends on if you think you can fool them. Better start working on memorising bani as a backup plan :)

I can imagine a Ray Bradbury type scenario where all religious granths are destroyed or confiscated, but I can't imagine all granths and gutkay just disappearing overnight, and I can't imagine our Guru leaving us bereft of all guidance for any time.

I am 5000 year old, veera, my memory is not what it used to be. ;-)

K.

I have also often thought of what would happen if there were only a handful of Sikhs left, but there was no Gurbani. What would happen should those Sikhs not be well-versed in Gurbani, or if were not even be very devout at all - would Sikhi perish?

Kaljug bro, you have brought up a very valid point that should be actively discussed.

Edited by GillAUS

I have often heard stories from my nan of non-panjbai Sikh communities in parts of India/Pakistan. They don 't know panjbai, cant read gurmuki and are non-amritdari. These communities usually were established by the earlier gurus. What I have been told is that they have their own copies of the SGGS ,even though no-one can read it or understand it. But they do recognise its mahatam.

They treat it with high respect, keep their dharma and find that their lives are better off for it. There was an article on sikhnet a while back about such a community in Maharastra. v. interesting story about their faith in the Guru. i'll try to see if I can find it.

here it is....

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/extraordinary-tale-faith

Edited by jattboot

during times when man is selling his soul, Truth has a way of going undercover and resurfacing. when GuruJi wants, the entire world will kneel. Truth is Eternal.

in theory it might seem a good idea as this has been done historically but in modern times every inch of land is being developed, even historic buildings which should be conserved are being torn down and even the dead resting in graves are dug up.

what good is Bhagwaan unless he is Bhagwant (in the hearts and minds)? to help conserve Gurbani & history.. help disseminate the Message.

passing down in oral traditions has worked in many groups. doing real parchaar is good. unfortunately too much emphasis is laid on "Kesh rakho, Singh Sajo". truth is no matter what you look like to fit in, even complete ganjaa slaphead there's nothing stopping you from spending some small time each day learning Gurbani and about your history. jews and hindus are very good at spreading the message of their faith because they are open enough to do comedy, films, etc and use the media as a tool.

Nothing in this world is permanent

The form always changes but the essence of the form does not perish

The source of valid teachings such as Gurbani will not perish

But if people do not take responsibility and enact or ensoul what Gurbani teaches

Then this world will go to hell

Which means you can have millions of copies of Gurbani but they will be all useless unless people do what it says in Gurbani. The Jot is only kept alive by sachey sadhaks if Gurbani has no Jot then it is valueless.