The Nature Of Shaheed Singhs

jvalasingh

http://www.manglacharan.com/shaheeds.html

Above is the link to a new article which is a question answer session between three of the Punj Pyare and Guru Gobind Singh explaining the nature of Shaheeds from Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth.

Also there is a small katha audio file explaining how Shaheeds get moksh [liberated] after getting Shaheedi, along with a story from Sri Sarbloh Granth Sahib.

Very beautifully translated however im stil not sure exactly what a Shaheed (apart from someone who dies in battle) is.. Is it akin to jinns and angels from the islamic-christian tradition?

It actually explains that in the translation.

Well as Shaheed is a Parsi word, I would expect it would have been either someone from the Pre-Islamic Persian era or the Islamic Persian Era.

I thought it was an Arabic word?

Does it not stem from shahadat or 'to witness' for the faith.

Edited by dalsingh101

I always thought that (as per Gurmat) since this universe has been created and destroyed countless times and even in this universe there are many worlds like our own. Couldn't the 96 crore figure mean all those Shaheed Singhs come from various places from all over the universe? I do not think that 96 crore Shaheed Singhs are from this world alone or Islamic or Christian Shaheeds. I believe they are believers in Guru Nanak.

Yes I know wiki isn't exactly scholarly but....

In Arabic, a martyr is termed "shahid" (literally, "witness," as in the Greek root of the English word). The word shaheed appears in the Quran in a variety of contexts, including witnessing to righteousness (Quran 2:143), witnessing a financial transaction (Quran 2:282) and being killed, even in an accident as long as it doesn't happen with the intention to commit a sin, when they are believed to remain alive making them witnesses over worldly events without taking part in them anymore (Quran 3:140). The word also appears with these various meanings in the Hadith, the sayings of Muhammad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr

Edited by dalsingh101

SHAH = KING

HEED = HAPPINESS

THEREFORE SHAHEED IS SOMEBODY WHO OBTAINS ETERNAL HAPPINESS THERE IS NO SUBSTANCE THAT CAN CAUSE HIM DUKH

I'm pretty sure the etymology of this word is Arabic. I think it's meaning later widened under Panjabi-Sikh usage to encompass all who died for a noble cause, hence Bhagat Singh is widely considered a shaheed, despite being accepted as an athiest by many (I'm not even going into that whole argument with Bhai Randhir Singh's writing).