Sikhi Lectures Part III- (Quotations)

DESTINY

1. The Unknowable Lord's pen inscribes the destinies of all beings on their foreheads. (Gauri Bavan Akhri, M. 5)

2. When Your Destiny awakens you meet with the True Guru.(Sri Raag,M.3)

3. He who considers nothing as his own, leans only on the one God, meditates on the Infinite Being night and day, makes his mind as (humble as) dust and realizes the Lord's Will attains peace and receives what is written in his Destiny. (Gauri Bavan Akhri, M. 5)

4. Without destiny, countless many wander about aimlessly. They are born to die again and again, and their cycle does not cease. Loving poison, they gather poison, and do not enter into God's Peace. (Maru, M. 3)

5. A man becomes a prisoner of himself but he blames others for his bondage. (Gauri Bavan Akhri, M. 5)

-----------------------------------------------------

DOWRY

O my Father, give to me the Dowry of the Lord's Name. Let the Lord be my clothes, His glory my Beauty so that my task be accomplished. Blessed is the Lord's Worship; the True Guru has blessed me with it. In all lands, no, in all the Creation Pervades the Glory of the Lord; the gift of the Lord's (Name) is matchless; all other Dowry displayed by the self-willed is false egoism and a vain show. O my Father, bless me with the Dowry of the Lord's Name. (Sri Raag M.4)

------------------------------------------

EDUCATION

1. Ignorance hinders (worldly and spiritual) progress. (Kabirji, Asa Raag)

2. The ignorant man wastes his valuable life and cuts at his own roots. (Guru V, Gauri Raag)

3. The more one reads the more agitated one becomes. (Guru I, Asa Raag)

4. The knowledge of God cannot be obtained by mere talk, talk will not assist in understanding the Divine Essence. (Guru I, Asa Raag)

-----------------------------------------------------------

EGO / PRIDE

1. The egotist is blind because his conscience is not awake. He is the killer of himself and the killer of the world. (Majh M. 3)

2. When one sheds one's Ego, one is at peace and one's body and mind are in health. (Gauri Sukhmani M. 5)

3. The poor abide in peace, for they shed their ego. Nanak says: The high and the mighty have been wasted by away their pride.

4. I am gripped by the chronic disease of ego. The utterance of the Lord's Name and the Lord's Praise, is the only cure which I apply by the Guru's Grace. (Basant M. 1, Dutukas)

Ego-Part 2

1. The lowly who practice humility, live happily. Nanak says, thousands of arrogant people have been crushed to the dust through their pride. (GURU V, GAURI RAAG)

2. A wealthy man is full of conceit for his wealth, and a landlord boasts of his land. (GURU V, JAITSRI RAAG)

3. One who feels proud of (their) ruling powers will be thrown in hell and born again as a dog. One who takes pride in their own beauty, becomes a vermin of filth. One who shows off about his religious rituals, wanders through many re-incarnations. One who boasts of wealth and estate exposes his folly, blindness and ignorance. Nanak says, one in whose heart Gracious God instils humility, attains salvation in this world and beatitude in the next. (GURU V, GAURI RAAG)

4. Nanak says, one who is proud of oneself will not appear beautiful before the Lord. (GURU I, JAPJI)

5. Give up your pride and prostrate (lie down flat in submission) at the feet (Nam) of the Lord. (GURU V, JAITSRI RAAG)

6. One who boasts of their possessions will fall to the dust in a moment. (GURU V, GOND RAAG)

7. One who is proud will be destroyed. (GURU IV, SORATH RAAG)

8. The filth of pride cannot be washed off, even if one takes bath at hundred pilgrimage places. (GURU III, SRI RAAG)

9. One who considers oneself to be high and others to be low and one who acts or talks with pride willl be driven to hell. (KABIRJI, MARU RAAG)

10. One that is high shall fall to the dust. One that is low does not need to fear. ( GURU V, ASA RAAG)

11. Pride is a disease of the mind. (GURU IV, GAURI RAAG)

12. One who calls himself good can never have goodness come near them. (GURU V, GAURI RAAG)

13. Remove pride from your heart and serve the True Guru, then you will be respected in God's Court. (GURU I, SRI RAAG)

14. Kabir says, do not feel proud and do not laugh at a poor man. The boat (of our life) is midstream, who knows what may happen (God can still make the proud man poor)? (KABIRJI, S)

15. Why are you proud of your body and wealth? Why don't you remember God? (KABIRJI, GAURI RAAG)

16. Nanak says, Ones who are proud without possessing any merit are silly asses. (GURU I, SARANG RAAG)

17. Without the True Guru, pride is not removed from the heart. (GURU I, GAURI RAAG)

18. What can the created one be proud of? The Creator alone has the power to give. (GURU I, SRI RAAG)

Ego part 3

SHALOK, FIRST MEHL:

In ego they come, and in ego they go.

In ego they are born, and in ego they die.

In ego they give, and in ego they take.

In ego they earn, and in ego they lose.

In ego they become truthful or false.

In ego they go to heaven or hell.

In ego they laugh, and in ego they weep.

In ego they become dirty, and in ego they are washed clean.

In ego they lose social status and class.

In ego they are ignorant, and in ego they are wise.

They do not know the value of salvation and liberation.

In ego they love Maya, and in ego they are kept in darkness by it.

Living in ego, mortal beings are created.

When one understands ego, then the Lord's gate is known.

Without spiritual wisdom, they babble and argue.

O Nanak, by the Lord's Command, destiny is recorded.

As the Lord sees us, so are we seen. SECOND MEHL:

This is the nature of ego, that people perform their actions in ego.

This is the bondage of ego, that time and time again, they are reborn.

Where does ego come from? How can it be removed?

This ego exists by the Lord's Order;

people wander according to their past actions.

Ego is a chronic disease, but it contains its own cure as well.

If the Lord grants His Grace, one acts according to the Teachings of the Guru's Shabad.

Nanak says, listen, people: in this way, troubles depart.

PAUREE: Those who serve are content.

They meditate on the Truest of the True.

They do not place their feet in sin, but do good deeds and live righteously in Dharma.

They burn away the bonds of the world, and eat a simple diet of grain and water.

You are the Great Forgiver; You give continually, more and more each day.

By His greatness, the Great Lord is obtained.

Extracted from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Page 466)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EQUALITY

1. The rich and the poor are all brethren, the Lord has ordained this and no one can contest it. Kabir says, poor is he in whose heart there is not the Naam of the Lord. (KABIRJI, BHAIRO RAAG)

2. Nanak says, no one is high and no one is low. (Guru I, JAPJI)

3. Only fools and idiots try to supress others. (Guru I, BASANT RAAG)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVIL SPIRITS

1. Call them the evil spirits who are engrossed in lust, anger,pride and Maya (worldliness). (Guru III, Gauri Raag)

2. Nanak says, the ones who are devoid of God's love and service and have forgotten the Lord are ghosts. (Guru V, Jaitsri Raag)

3. Call him an evil spirit who does evil actions and knows not the Master. (Guru I, Majh Raag)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

BEGGING

1.Do not bow to the one who assumes the role of a Guru, yet goes about begging. ( Guru I, Sarang Raag)

2.Why should one ,who always lives with God, go begging? (Guru I, Ramkali Raag)

3.Seeking happiness, man undergoes much suffering, and enslaves himself to many a man. Like a dog he knocks about from door to door, but never realizes the Nam of God. (Guru IX, Asa Raag)

4.Farid says: Master, may I never go to another man's door. If ever I am reduced to such a strait, then take away this soul from my body. (Faridji, Shlokas)

5.I serve my Master and I beg from no one else. (Guru I, Dhanasri Raag)

6.Woe to him who goes begging to another man. One who begs from God attains salvation. (Guru V, Dhanasri Raag)

7.Beg from God all that you need. (Guru V, Dhansri Raag)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BODY, MIND & SOUL

1. The Unknowable Lord's pen inscribes the destinies of all beings on their foreheads. (Gauri Bavan Akhri, M. 5)

2. When Your Destiny awakens you meet with the True Guru.(Sri Raag,M.3)

3. He who considers nothing as his own, leans only on the one God, meditates on the Infinite Being night and day, makes his mind as (humble as) dust and realizes the Lord's Will attains peace and receives what is written in his Destiny. (Gauri Bavan Akhri, M. 5)

4. Without destiny, countless many wander about aimlessly. They are born to die again and again, and their cycle does not cease. Loving poison, they gather poison, and do not enter into God's Peace. (Maru, M. 3)

5. A man becomes a prisoner of himself but he blames others for his bondage. (Gauri Bavan Akhri, M. 5)

-------------------------------------------------------

EARLY WAKING

1. Get up early in the morning and remember Naam. (GURU V, GAURI RAAG)

2. The wealth of Naam earned in the early hours of the morning, the saints spend freely and it is never exhausted. (GURU IV, SUHI RAAG)

3. In the dewy night the stars glitter. The saints, who are dear to God, awake. (GURU V, ASA RAAG)

4. In the early hours of the morning, meditate upon the True Naam and God's greatness. (GURU I, JAPJI)

------------------------------------------------

EVIL DOERS

1. When the body falls, the life's play is over. How shall the evil-doers be then dealt with? (GURU I, SRI RAAG)

2. Nanak says, I am an evil-doer, but I have thrown myself at Your feet. Save me from evil. (GURU IV, ASA RAAG)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACK BITING

1. O, People of the world, why do you backbite? The backbiter is always exposed. (Ravidasji, Gauri Raag)

2. The corrupt man has no protection, the backbiter has no honour. (Guru I, Gujri Raag)

3. The slanderer carries the great burden of sins, without payment he carries loads. (Guru III, Majh Raag)

4. Do not slander anyone thereby starting a quarrel. (Guru I, Vadhans Raag)

5. One who slanders is known as such, their actions will go in vain. (Guru IV, Gauri Raag)

6. One who backbites loses honour; the slanderer only exposes himself. (Guru IV, Bilawal Raag)

7. One who backbites us, rids us of our sins. (Kabirji, Gauri Raag)

8. One who slanders others, cannot face anybody without shame. (Guru IV, Gauri Raag)

9. Day and night we talk ill of others. We are full of malice and sins. (Guru I, Sri Raag)

10. All Praise to Great God - He does not listen to the backbiter. (Guru IV, Sri Raag)

11. The slanderer is cured not of his affiction, no matter how hard he tries. (Guru V, Gauri Raag)

12. He, who talks sweetly in one's presence, then talks ill behind one's back, is evil of heart and has been separated from God. (Guru IV, Gauri Raag)

13. Do not talk ill of others and do not become jealous; Though educated you have no peace of mind. (Guru I, Maru Raag)

14. The slanderer cries in the wilderness, he forgets the Lord hence gets the fruit of his deeds. (Guru V, Asa Raag)

15. The slanderer removes the dirt of others. He is the slave of mammon (maya) and eats the dirt of others. (Guru IV, Gujri Raag)